BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

HD Halfshafts and CV's

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2012 10:15 - 08 Jun 2012 10:17 #41964 by g187eev
Replied by g187eev on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
KAM have not been taken over, Kevin still runs the business...

Allmakes have invested in KAM effectively starting a partnership...

www.kamdiffs.com/about-kam/
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 10:17 by g187eev.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2012 11:34 #41965 by Rockwatt
Replied by Rockwatt on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
I stand corrected the quafe partnership fell on it's arse and allmakes came in I have just been reliably informed/corrected.
I hope the front shafts are better than the rears with there inherent design fault !
IMO and I stress IMO the kam lockers are not a great design, the idea is good but they still need developing some more.
If you have an arb already in the front then it's only a case of changing the side gears for rear ones for the 26 spline shafts. And you can buy them separately from arb dealers.
Arb are a much better design for a few reasons but still not without some problems.
Maybe Ashcroft should take a look at jimnys lol

More
08 Jun 2012 11:46 #41966 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
Funny Redacted you should say about Ashcrofts -something I have thought before. I have known Ian and David for many years and they are excellent guys. Problem for them I suppose is that Jinmnys are inheritently more reliable than their normal fare and therefore not as profitable!
Be good though if they developed their locker/shafts etc for Jimnys.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2012 12:43 #41971 by g187eev
Ashcroft's CV's and shafts are made in the USA, I'll not name the company who manufacture them for them, but I expect Richard already knows...

RB

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2012 14:12 #41973 by panosd
Replied by panosd on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
I have install in my jimny these
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

these are 22spline cv's and axle shafts from subaru forester and another car that i dont remember.
With 31 and original 22spline arb for 3 months now and everything is ok.
I have my teamate, who has came up with this patent, using it at his car with 32'' for over a year now and
also had no problem abussing his front diff with arb 22spline also.
The cost was total 200E, for cv's and axle shafts.

• Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2012 15:59 - 08 Jun 2012 16:05 #41978 by Rockwatt

panosd wrote: I have install in my jimny these

I don't think he has the patent on this as rhino ray fitted them cv's in an Sj about 8 years ago and he
had quafe make the shafts to suit.
And I ran them in my old tin top Sj 6 years ago so I don't think patent would be possible. There is also a company making shafts and using cv's from another vehicle but I'll keep that one to myself as there even better suited than the scuby cv's

Rob are you talking about those cv's that are suplied from the us (but made in Germany and err Manchester ) so there shipped out then back again.
A bit like a certain set of crawler gears that are made in India then shipped to the states and then to here !!! You couldn't make it up could you.
Ask me how I know :lol: I won't post it up on here but you have my number. and
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 16:05 by Rockwatt.

• g187eev
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2012 17:42 #41987 by g187eev
Am I right in thinking the CV and shaft you have there are US/Indian or where ever ones... same as the TG ones I have here stock... they look identical...

If they are to go in to a Jimny front axle casing... how did you overcome the problem of them being to large for the ball. . . ?

Drop us a PM dude if you'd rather... :)

RB

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2012 18:45 - 08 Jun 2012 18:47 #41994 by panosd
Rockwatt i think that sj and jimny are not the same at front. Sj axle shafts are different than jimny's ones.

I have the jimny stock front axle. So this patent is new i suppose.

Correct me if i am wrong.

The cv's fitted as a stock one. No drill-trim etc.

I will try to find the pics from the fitting.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 18:47 by panosd.

• Rockwatt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2012 21:53 #42021 by Rockwatt

panosd wrote: Redacted i think that sj and jimny are not the same at front. Sj axle shafts are different than jimny's ones.

I have the jimny stock front axle. So this patent is new i suppose.

Correct me if i am wrong.

The cv's fitted as a stock one. No drill-trim etc.

I will try to find the pics from the fitting.

Yes I'm aware that the Jimny and Sj axles are slightly different in length and the swivel housings. I have fitted the scuby cv's in a Jimny with custom made shafts.
But there are better cv's that will also go in with a bit of machining.

Rob the cv's in the pic are not TG ones. But I did try a set to see if they would fit and I think they would go with a little clearanceing with a die grinder but you would obviously need new shafts.

On the KAM locker thing , just wondering how they plan to get the enlarged shaft into the axle ! As the Sj one needed clearanceing around the seal area. And you have to put the shaft in before the seal.

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2012 08:11 #42053 by panosd
There is a mechanic here in Greece that has made his own air locker and other stuff for 4x4.

He mades a lot of great stuff. He also has come up with a solution for the front jimny axle

using bigger cv joints and axle shafts 26spline. This is not cheap at all but worth its money.

Before taking the suby cv's and shafts i talked with him and ask him for a price.

For HD axle shafts and cv's 26spline and a front locker of his the price was 1500E.

Oh and his lockers are better than the arb's. Take a look.

protrack.gr/proionta/suzuki/adm-menu/jim...-cv-joint-jimny.html

• bluejimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2012 11:46 #42073 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
did a little on the shims to fit the larger CV's

the plan is going with TG ones, and yes with a bit of die grinding they will fit,

as they are quite larger i plan to bring the stub out with a spacer

from testing they seem to need 5mm either side to get the cv clearance

then just machine the end of the TG CV to suit the jimny and what ever hub is being used as they are longer than the jimny ones

[img][IMG]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww269/jimnybits/IMAG0371.jpg[/img][/img]

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2012 13:34 #42078 by panosd
Protrack does what you said above.

You must be careful with this. If you dont close all the flanges right you will have oil and greese leak and

water + mud will go inside the axles.

The first who tried this had this problem.

The one's i have dont need any trimming because are like stock ones in size. (22spline)

Very good work. :)

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds