BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

HD Halfshafts and CV's

• bluejimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 14:50 #38102 by bluejimny
HD Halfshafts and CV's was created by bluejimny
Im now getting a rough idea how much this setup is going to cost, the main thing being the more i buy the cheaper it would be,

the problem being it would be the whole hog kit, 26 spline front diff gears, 26 spline 300M halfshafts, new CV's and fitting kit etc etc

so none of the parts would be interchangeable with any STD jimny parts so would be a chunk of money in one go as i could not sell the halfshafts on there own (unless you have your own 26 spline cv's)

i no we would all like it cheap as possible but if it were nearly £650 ish for the full kit would this seem too expensive?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 15:12 #38106 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
If they were unbreakable it would be great but if not and summet broke.....how would people get a replacement part or would it all have to be bought again?

Personally ill stick with originals purely for ease of getting parts etc

Jnless they were unbreakable then id strongly consider them

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 15:12 #38107 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
If they were unbreakable it would be great but if not and summet broke.....how would people get a replacement part or would it all have to be bought again?

Personally ill stick with originals purely for ease of getting parts etc

Unless they were unbreakable then id strongly consider them

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

More
20 Apr 2012 16:19 #38115 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
I think that's a reasonable price, particularly when you compare with say D&G who would be about £820 plus delivery for shafts and cv, and ERM who would be slightly cheaper at around £550 for shafts and cv but they require your old cv so presumably they add something like a Burfield ring to them. Yours include the diff gears. The problem for me anyway is that I have an ARB in the front and don't want to change it, so I would only be interested if you could cut 22 spline front shafts. Whether that's an option for you I don't know, but I would have thought not too difficult when they are produced.
I'd be interested to hear your comments - thanks.

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 16:22 #38116 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
bit of a problem if you've already got an ARB in the front :(

More
20 Apr 2012 16:29 #38119 by Obarno
Replied by Obarno on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
Well not so much as both the D&G and the ERM are for 22 spline diffs. So it would be easy to buy the ERM shafts at 165 Euros each and possibly fit Subaru Forester cvs - if they fit??!! Panosd says they do and that's what he uses, but I don't know!

Manual VVT, 2 1/2" lift, ORA castor corrected arms, 2" ORA body lift, 4:1 transfer box, Uprated front shafts & CVs ERM , ARBs back & front 3.9 diffs, 6 point cage, ORA winch bumper - Superwinch EP9, ORA rear bumper, ORA axle truses, Diff guards ERM , TBR tank guard, Snorkel, Kumho KL71.30.9.50 15

More
20 Apr 2012 17:10 #38124 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
HD CV's are something I've been hankering after for some time now.

£650.00 is cheaper than any other source I know of at this time, so it's not unreasonable.

Why can't they come in 22 spline though? Are the extra 4 splines really going to make that much difference?

Forgive my ignorance as I've never pulled a Suzuki Diff apart before, but in changing the gears for the 26 spline, will the backlash need setting up again?

If so, that's another cost on top, and who's going to do it as it really is a specialst job? Redacted might have a bunch of new requests if so!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• bluejimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 17:21 #38127 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
thanks for the reply's

the CV's and halfshafts would be fine for 33's but individual CV's and Halfshafts would be available if anything ever did happen

i didnt go down the route of standard uprated halfshafts eg 22 spline both ends as the orignal CV's dont last, even if you put a ring around the outside the cage inside breaks anyway

but i can go down the route of 22 spline diff end, to 26 spine and uprated CV's, so this would allow the ARB to be used plus the shafts would be 300M which is not the cheapest steel

• bluejimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 17:36 #38129 by bluejimny
the spider gears, some do have shim, but its very easy to swap (with instructions) its not the same as setting up the ring and pinion gears

but having the 26 spine spider gears just uprates the drivetrain more, as if you still had the 22 spine gears diff end, the weakest part would be the 22 spline end of the halfshaft

but for ARB's i dont know if you can buy spares eg rear spider gears and also if they would fit in the front, ive not investigated this yet

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 17:40 #38132 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic HD Halfshafts and CV's
Am I reading this correctly in that this would upgrade both axles? If so £650 for the kit would be ok in my opinion as I don't have ARB's yet so this would leave me to upgrade to them at a later date :)

I'm bugging Rob at ORA for the same so I am actively interested in this!!

• bluejimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 17:55 #38135 by bluejimny
at the moment its just the front axle, as this is much weaker than the rear, hopefully the shafts will be back next week !

More
20 Apr 2012 18:16 #38141 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
If you could do the shafts with the 22 spline at the diff end I think it will save alot of complication that I'm not sure is needed.

I appreciate you are trying to make them as strong as possible by going to 26 spline and can then say that they are OK up to 33" tyres - but will they not be OK up to 33" tyres with 22 splines given the strength of the 300M steel in the shaft?

I don't know as I'm not an engineer and I appreciate your difficulty in marketing a product that won't see lots coming back broken and given people the hump, however, if you can get them in 22 spline and not have the issues with having to change gears, possibly for less money as the gears are not included, I think you'll be onto a winner.

Otherwise, I would still consider buying them but would have to take my spare diff apart first to see what's what.

Has anyone got experience of D+G's shafts as they are just standard shafts and CV's sent of to be hardened and nowhere near as strong as 300M I'm guessing??? Does the diff break with or without a locker in??? Do the splines on the diff end cause issues???

You will have won the race to get them out if you get them out soon as KAM and ORA are both looking to produce them, although KAM have been saying so for yonks now!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds