BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

HD Halfshafts and CV's

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 18:29 #38144 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
Does anyone know how this setup compares with my SJ front axle, fabricated externally to fit my jimny. The internals are chromoly 4340 SJ shafts and CV's fitted to ARB front diff. Mine work well with 33s. But ive still got my old Jimny axle and ARB side gears to suit incase I wanted to go back to the Jimny axle route. I went for the SJ setup from Gazwell as there were no HD shaft/cv setup for the Jimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 18:48 #38151 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's

Smoggy wrote: Does anyone know how this setup compares with my SJ front axle, fabricated externally to fit my jimny. The internals are chromoly 4340 SJ shafts and CV's fitted to ARB front diff. Mine work well with 33s. But ive still got my old Jimny axle and ARB side gears to suit incase I wanted to go back to the Jimny axle route. I went for the SJ setup from Gazwell as there were no HD shaft/cv setup for the Jimny.

Could you perhaps tell a litte bit more about what you've done to fit SJ axles to your Jimny. Are the SJ413? What about diff ratio ?

• bluejimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 19:03 #38153 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's

kirkynut wrote: If you could do the shafts with the 22 spline at the diff end I think it will save alot of complication that I'm not sure is needed.

I appreciate you are trying to make them as strong as possible by going to 26 spline and can then say that they are OK up to 33" tyres - but will they not be OK up to 33" tyres with 22 splines given the strength of the 300M steel in the shaft?

I don't know as I'm not an engineer and I appreciate your difficulty in marketing a product that won't see lots coming back broken and given people the hump, however, if you can get them in 22 spline and not have the issues with having to change gears, possibly for less money as the gears are not included, I think you'll be onto a winner.

Otherwise, I would still consider buying them but would have to take my spare diff apart first to see what's what.

Has anyone got experience of D+G's shafts as they are just standard shafts and CV's sent of to be hardened and nowhere near as strong as 300M I'm guessing??? Does the diff break with or without a locker in??? Do the splines on the diff end cause issues???

You will have won the race to get them out if you get them out soon as KAM and ORA are both looking to produce them, although KAM have been saying so for yonks now!

Kirkynut

This is what I'm thinking, ! but also i can just offer 2 types of kit the 22 spline and 26 spline??

i could really do with darthloachie's Jimny as its got an ARB in the front, nearly 33" tyres and he uses it lots!!!

and is local to me, so maybe he can try them for me and use the front diff lock lots!!!!

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 19:08 #38155 by Smoggy
Hi Tom,
I got them already built up from Gazwell (see garys trayback in modded section), hes a bit of an expert fabricator and has welded on turret supports etc for jimny spring mountings, also fitted front sj steering arms and homemade damper, quite a complicated affair if im honest which is why i'm keeping my old jim axles incase anything goes wrong. Mike.

More
20 Apr 2012 19:13 #38156 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's

bluejimny wrote:

kirkynut wrote: If you could do the shafts with the 22 spline at the diff end I think it will save alot of complication that I'm not sure is needed.

I appreciate you are trying to make them as strong as possible by going to 26 spline and can then say that they are OK up to 33" tyres - but will they not be OK up to 33" tyres with 22 splines given the strength of the 300M steel in the shaft?

I don't know as I'm not an engineer and I appreciate your difficulty in marketing a product that won't see lots coming back broken and given people the hump, however, if you can get them in 22 spline and not have the issues with having to change gears, possibly for less money as the gears are not included, I think you'll be onto a winner.

Otherwise, I would still consider buying them but would have to take my spare diff apart first to see what's what.

Has anyone got experience of D+G's shafts as they are just standard shafts and CV's sent of to be hardened and nowhere near as strong as 300M I'm guessing??? Does the diff break with or without a locker in??? Do the splines on the diff end cause issues???

You will have won the race to get them out if you get them out soon as KAM and ORA are both looking to produce them, although KAM have been saying so for yonks now!

Kirkynut

This is what I'm thinking, ! but also i can just offer 2 types of kit the 22 spline and 26 spline??

i could really do with darthloachie's Jimny as its got an ARB in the front, nearly 33" tyres and he uses it lots!!!

and is local to me, so maybe he can try them for me and use the front diff lock lots!!!!

If you can produce both it would be ideal and please everyone. I don't and won't have a front locker, so can't imagine I'll break the diff or the diff end of the shaft. Trouble is the CV's have been a fuse in everyone's set up thus far, so it's the unknown.

Darthloachie does seem to use and abuse his alot, so this would be a good test! Testing to destruction - or not! I don't think the ARB will break somehow!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
20 Apr 2012 20:29 #38172 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's
Darthloachies jimny would be a great test rig for you. But there is one problem with that, he don't seem to like oil in his diffs!

As Kirkynut says, I also have no plans to fit a front locker, and I also don't enjoy removing diffs, or anything that involves gear oil.
Maybe you would like to offer a fitting service?

Rob at ORA did a poll to find what people would want.
www.ora-forum.com/t548-research-for-new-jimny-product

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 23:01 #38196 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's

bluejimny wrote:

if you want to fit them, I'll try to break them :)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2012 23:03 #38197 by darthloachie

supergaz wrote: Darthloachies jimny would be a great test rig for you. But there is one problem with that, he don't seem to like oil in his diffs!

cut me deep Shrek, cut me deep :(

More
21 Apr 2012 05:04 #38201 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's

darthloachie wrote:

bluejimny wrote:

Look at it as a civic duty you have to perform for the wider Jimny community!

Lots of full throttle, full lock, weight on the nose stuff like you've been avoiding for years! Then a bit of up a bank with front wheels spinning wildly and engine screaming slamming down on the front wheels so they suddenly grip.

Sounds like a boring civic duty to me though. Maybe you ought to lend me your truck so I can perform it for you. ;)

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2012 07:47 #38206 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: HD Halfshafts and CV's

Smoggy wrote: Hi Tom,
I got them already built up from Gazwell (see garys trayback in modded section), hes a bit of an expert fabricator and has welded on turret supports etc for jimny spring mountings, also fitted front sj steering arms and homemade damper, quite a complicated affair if im honest which is why i'm keeping my old jim axles incase anything goes wrong. Mike.

Hi Mike

Perhaps I should try him then, for some info. Still.. These HD shafts are rather expensive, so 70-series LC axles are also something worth considering, though a bit on the heavy side.

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2012 08:29 #38212 by Smoggy
Yeah hes a wealth of info but not on this site that much. You prob better pm him for more success. He has just upgraded to LR axles, mind he is running a Vitara 2.5 v6 engine on his jim and doing challenge events! so I dont think even the old 4340 axles he sold me would withstand that much abuse lol.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2012 10:24 #38224 by darthloachie

kirkynut wrote:

darthloachie wrote:

bluejimny wrote:

Look at it as a civic duty you have to perform for the wider Jimny community!

Lots of full throttle, full lock, weight on the nose stuff like you've been avoiding for years! Then a bit of up a bank with front wheels spinning wildly and engine screaming slamming down on the front wheels so they suddenly grip.

Sounds like a boring civic duty to me though. Maybe you ought to lend me your truck so I can perform it for you. ;)

Kirkynut

isn't that how you're supposed to drive :dry:

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds