BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Aug 2020 17:22 #227300 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses

sniper wrote: The video's are great, it's good to see how impressed the Landy drivers are..... It goes up that hill like it's being pulled, sounds great Riccy.

Bummer about the damage, shafts ain't cheap.... There's a firm in Nottingham that makes shafts, I can't remember the name but happy to have a drive by if it will help. I picked up some truck shafts for a buddy once, they had just got back from hardening. Looked to be very serious gear...

Mine sounds quite similar to yours but is lacking in the guts department lol......

sniper

Thanks John, the others were enjoying it almost as much as me :laugh:

I would be interested in your nottingham shaft maker. Ive spoken to a couple today...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Aug 2020 17:27 #227301 by Riccy

HUN wrote:
That shaft is part of the floating rear axle kit which is not in stock in Russia at the moment unfortunately. Where from you'll get replacement? Do you know an alternative supplier?

Correct. Andrey says he has no stock of the shorter shaft (the other longer one is ok). Likley end of the year before he can supply a replacement. I also learned that the shafts he supplies are not 'HD' shafts, no surprise really with the price of his kit being so low.

Ive called a couple of places today about having some made in the UK and the best price so far is a Birmingham company quoting £190+vat for each shaft. Thats for a heat treated shaft made from high grade material (they did say what but it was over my head a bit, good for 250hp apparently). 4 weeks from order to delivery usually. Probably an expensive option, but I can't see Andrey's spares being a lot cheaper by the time they are posted from the far side of Russia.

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

The following user(s) said Thank You: HUN

More
24 Aug 2020 20:34 #227309 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Ulysses
Low range off-road are in Fresno California.They list solid tube pinion spacers.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Roger

More
25 Aug 2020 08:07 #227322 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
wilsondriveshafts.co.uk They are reasonably local if you need anything ferrying about.

sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
29 Aug 2020 15:33 #227496 by Riccy
Many messages and phone calls this week about getting some quality shafts made. Settled on Northwest propshafts as recommended by Brett (Maverick on here). They wernt the cheapest, nor the most expensive. I chose them because they would offer a warranty on them, knew what they were talking about and were patient enough to explain it to me in simple terms. They also asked all the right questions about the car. So now I need to send them the existing shafts to measure along with a sample of the side gears in the diff and a hub to use for testing purposes.

So today it was pull the shafts and scrounge out some diff side gears from the scrap pile...

This is the two front and rear diff centres from the grey jimny. A quick chat on our group whatsapp told me that the one on the left is for the rear. Confirmed this with a spare rear shaft and it fits (rear is 26 spline, front is 22). Interestingly the rear side gears can be interchanged with the front for those wishing to use 26 spline front shafts (stronger)...

With the side gears out I tried them on the hub end of the shafts and discovered that the shafts are the same spline count at both ends. Happy days! :laugh: That should make the machining process easier and possibly cheaper, fingers crossed :-)

Next was to pull the diff out again as it was still leaking from the pinion seal :angry: I had ordered new bearings, seal and crush tube to redo it all. Once I had it apart I realized the bearing pullers I have wouldn't work to remove the old bearing race's and also I dont have the correct mandrel for my press to refit them. Old bearings cleaned/inspected and they seem sound so will probably reuse them. Seal to replace obviously, but the crush collar puzzled me a little. The new one is exactly the same size as the one removed. I did look into the solid one Roger mentioned, but I can only see lowrangeoffroad as a supplier and they are in America so shipping is extortionate.

So its read the FSM a bit later and stick it all back together tomorrow, hopefully with no leaks :-)

Attachments:

More
29 Aug 2020 16:04 #227499 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Ulysses
I bought my spacer from Summit Racing and the total cost incl. shipping £37.10 back in December 2017.

Roger

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
11 Oct 2020 21:01 #229037 by Riccy
Day trip up to see mam, and do some jobs (hence the spirit level on the roof). Trailwise2 had a 'new' lane added recently from some research into old turnpike roads.
One ive looked at for many years thinking it would be interesting. Its not a difficult lane, but is pretty in an isolated sort of way and safe territory for solo laning...

Part 1 - off the road and up a farm track to enter the lane. Plenty of gates and get progressively more clarty...

Part 2 - more gates but this time its into the moorland and through plenty of water on the track. Still a nice grippy base though:

And all in a nice detour. Be good for a quiet picnic in good weather or a scenic tour and suitable for any 4x4, perhaps even epic machine territory in the snow :lol:

The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Oct 2020 04:54 #229041 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Looks good!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
12 Oct 2020 15:13 #229057 by Riccy
MOT day...

Checkover this morning in the garage found the rear number plate lights wernt working :-( Fiddled about and found one of my connectors had come apart, so bunged back together and working, but needs a better repair at some point. Looks OK otherwise so out to blast off the mud from yesterday and to the garage.

Nervous 45mins later and YAY! passed for another year

Which is good considering the emissions will be all over the place now compared to a normal Jimny. Another years motoring then :-)

Next trip out is my halloween run. Probably around Northumberland this year, depends who wants to come...

Attachments:

More
12 Oct 2020 16:29 #229063 by X8GGY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
18 Oct 2020 17:33 #229240 by Riccy
Spare day :woohoo:

Trip out then. Up and around Kielder to start with. Went via Newcastleton, where I know there is an excellent spot for a bacon butty ;-)

Onto the Forrest Drive, a Forestry commission toll road. 12 miles of easy track with very isolated views at a toll of £3...

This odd thing at one of the higher elevation bits:

anyhoo... nice drive and all that, but I did meet a BMW X1, a Nissan Navara and a Peugeot 10something small car, plus a load of cyclists, so over-dressed for the occasion isnt the word :laugh:

I like to think this is one of the tracks Colin McRae was blasting down in his prime though, so its nice to me all the same :-)

On the way out of the above track was a nice spot for some posing...

and the tarmac in the area was certainly turning it on with the autumn colours...

An afternoon of dull lanes as it turned out. This is usually the case I find with lanes on Trailwise that have no comments. These were all mostly tarmac stuff that was disused. Still, at least I now know what they are like and will update trailwise. Some pretty views on the old bridge in the last pic.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
18 Oct 2020 18:39 #229242 by Riccy
some videos from today....

the forrest drive but the gimbal batteries went flat less than halfway :-(

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds