BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Aug 2020 14:23 #226846 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Before last Sunday's laning trip to North Wales I had a new viscous coupling to fit on. This came about as I'd been having issues with it running hot and putting the electric fan on all the time. I was even needing to run the interior heater to keep it cool enough.

I remembered Lambert was trying out different viscosity oils to see if it improved his situation a while ago (turned out to be head gasket I think). It put me in mind to test if my fan was working properly and sure enough it wasn't. When cold there was the usual resistance to pushing the fan, but once warmed up it seemed to go slack. Not right so ordered a new coupling for just under £50 and fitted it Saturday before heading to Wales. Big success! its not overheating or getting close now. Amazing the difference a simple thing can make.
I also had a look at the sensor scaling in the new ECU software and found it was reading higher than it should. Managed to change it to a better scale and confirmed against a thermometer that its reading right now :-)

And Wales... Beautiful countryside and great company of Brett and Dave in Jalapeno. I didnt take many photos, but heres a few and some vids of a couple of favourites. More no doubt in Brett's blog soon...

GOPR3064 Moelfre down

GOPR3072 Henryd 2

GOPR3086 Glan Aled ford

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2020 15:13 #226851 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Ulysses
Excellent day out matey!

Here's a nice one of your awesome pickup -

Dave B)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Aug 2020 16:26 #226854 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
I too have one of those exact couplings in stores. I did however service the original one. I used 3000 grade silicone oil from rc car dampers. Filled the coupling about half full and reassembled. It does still idle but it now locks up sooner which is useful when creeping about it fields. What it also did was prolong the life of the motor before the head gasket was replaced as without it I'm certain that the bad gasket would have totaled the engine. It could be argued that if it hadn't masked the gasket I would have diagnosed it sooner but it also saved the motor so swings and roundabouts. Having done the head gasket it's now keeping everything peachy and cool. Well worth servicing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Aug 2020 14:58 #227210 by Riccy
Had a trip up to Drumclog pay-n-play site near Glasgow yesterday with the Geordie lads. Much fun had. Was very wet on friday and a bit in the morning so conditions were slippery to say the least. Them steep hills are much more of a challenge when you can hardly stand on them :laugh:

Some pics and vids from/of the guys I was with:

and some of my own videos:

and back home. After a 2hr drive back in the rain I expected less mud left than I found. Should have gone for the £5 car wash at the Drumclog site :laugh:

You know its been a good day when theres that much mud on the roof :ohmy: :dry:

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 15:14 - 23 Aug 2020 15:14 #227211 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
It's like a mini Icelandic hill climber, love it ;) ;) ;) ;)
Last edit: 23 Aug 2020 15:14 by Daniel30.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Aug 2020 15:53 #227213 by Riccy
Thanks Dan :-) Its the old camera doesnt do it justice thing. Very steep and slippery stuff. There was another hill I didnt film that I got about 2/3rd up and had to slide back down trying to keep it straight. Brown trouser stuff :laugh:

And now for the downside...

Early afternoon I helped out a defender that had grounded on its bash plate on a rut. The winched off the back of me and because it was heavy I needed a bit of drive (and because I wanted to shower them in mud spray off the tyres :laugh: ). I popped on the rear locker and went off fairly hard. they winched a bit and I pulled, result them out and me with the air compressor running constant whenever the rear locker was on :angry:
Fiddled about and swapped pipes around to get the front locker only working for the rest of the day in the end. Not ideal, but not an issue as it turned out thankfully. One odd thing was that the breather setup I have have for diffs, t-box and gearbox is combined and I found that the problem appeared as the gearbox breather leaking air (odd as its not fed from the compressor. Turned out the breather to the snorkel was blocked somehow and back feeding pressure to the gearbox (and blowing out diff oil). Note to self - separate all the breather system somehow ;-)
Also in the process of this the ARB seal leaking has pressurized my rear diff and buggered the pinion oil seal :angry:

Took the rear diff out today and also found the rear shaft on the driverside has warped a bit with all the stick its had in the last 2 weeks...

so reseated the ARB seal and cant see why it popped out. Pressure tested it past its 90PSI operating range to 120PSI and its staying put?

And took the input flange off the diff to see if the seal was damaged and leaking. It didnt look damaged, and refitted its still leaking :-(

Hence - MARTIN! I need to rebuild this 3.9 diff. I need the pinion bearings (both), the crush collar thing, the input flange oil seal and anything else you recommend? if you can supply?

Attachments:

More
23 Aug 2020 17:30 #227218 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Ulysses
Are solid tubes available ie non crushable ?

Roger

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
23 Aug 2020 18:56 #227225 by Riccy

Roger Fairclough wrote: Are solid tubes available ie non crushable ?

Roger

Perhaps, but the whole point of it being 'crushable' is that it is used to give the correct backlash to the pinion shaft in the form of preloading it correctly as its fitted. Doing it up too far means its goosed and changing anything wrong to do with the preloading will do for the bearings pretty quickly, so it need changed properly when doing pinion shaft work to ensure proper diff operation. Its also a pig to get at, meaning I want it done right first time :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
23 Aug 2020 21:26 - 24 Aug 2020 02:39 #227237 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Ulysses
I bought one for my Landcruiser. It came with a set of shims of various thickness. You use the shims to obtain the correct pre-load.Once this is done you tighten the nut, stake it and that's it.Because it's a solid tube and therefore wont flex the pre-load remains constant. Also if your seal leaks again, you remove the nut, flange and seal: fit a new seal, replace flange and nut, torque it up, stake the nut refit prop and jobs done.Now if you do it your way you have to scrap the crushable tube which means removing the outer pinion bearing which can be a pain, fit a new tube, put it all back together and pray as you torque the pinion nut that you will obtain the right pre-load. Problem is that pre-load should be obtained without any drag from the diff or brakes etc which means you need to strip out the diff. from the axle. Do it with a solid tube and the pinion shaft is more rigid and further seal failures are a doddle to fix.

Roger
Last edit: 24 Aug 2020 02:39 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
24 Aug 2020 13:38 #227281 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
The video's are great, it's good to see how impressed the Landy drivers are..... It goes up that hill like it's being pulled, sounds great Riccy.

Bummer about the damage, shafts ain't cheap.... There's a firm in Nottingham that makes shafts, I can't remember the name but happy to have a drive by if it will help. I picked up some truck shafts for a buddy once, they had just got back from hardening. Looked to be very serious gear...

Mine sounds quite similar to yours but is lacking in the guts department lol......

sniper

More
24 Aug 2020 16:59 #227297 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Ulysses

Riccy wrote: And now for the downside...
Took the rear diff out today and also found the rear shaft on the driverside has warped a bit with all the stick its had in the last 2 weeks...

That shaft is part of the floating rear axle kit which is not in stock in Russia at the moment unfortunately. Where from you'll get replacement? Do you know an alternative supplier?

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Aug 2020 17:20 #227299 by Riccy

Roger Fairclough wrote: I bought one for my Landcruiser. It came with a set of shims of various thickness. You use the shims to obtain the correct pre-load.Once this is done you tighten the nut, stake it and that's it.Because it's a solid tube and therefore wont flex the pre-load remains constant. Also if your seal leaks again, you remove the nut, flange and seal: fit a new seal, replace flange and nut, torque it up, stake the nut refit prop and jobs done.Now if you do it your way you have to scrap the crushable tube which means removing the outer pinion bearing which can be a pain, fit a new tube, put it all back together and pray as you torque the pinion nut that you will obtain the right pre-load. Problem is that pre-load should be obtained without any drag from the diff or brakes etc which means you need to strip out the diff. from the axle. Do it with a solid tube and the pinion shaft is more rigid and further seal failures are a doddle to fix.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I get what you mean about it now. Taking the diff out isnt a problem, it has to come out to do the work anyway as the planetary set needs removed in order to get at the crush (or solid) collar and bearings anyway. I will look into it a bit more ;-)

Time to create page: 0.291 seconds