BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
20 Apr 2021 16:23 #234603 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses

Thanks for the offer to borrow Pal 
Could you tell me the set up you're using i might go and buy one 
Thanks 
Nothing exciting. Its a big 200litre 3hp compressor and the proper upol raptor adjustable gun. Both were fairly pricey, but at least the compressor can do many other things. A proper respirator mask is essential too (strong fumes). 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
20 Apr 2021 16:24 #234604 by Riccy

on the first picture, why have you got a flat cat on the bonnet?

I see what you mean, its actually an old t-shirt I was using to wipe down before painting, but yes it looks like a squashed moggy 

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

More
20 Apr 2021 16:57 #234608 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Ulysses
The new Red looks well!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
24 Apr 2021 15:38 #234681 by Riccy
Got a few hours this afternoon in the garage and managed to get bumper, bonnet plates, winch and cage back on. Tipper body and rear end tomorrow. 

and do you like my little winch on the beam?   I think Mr health-and-safety might have something to say about it 

Attachments:

More
25 Apr 2021 07:20 - 25 Apr 2021 07:20 #234695 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Ulysses
How do you fit the cage on your own (aka lifting it over the roof/body) .. aha just seen winch on roof beam :0)

Jalapeño, IISY?
Last edit: 25 Apr 2021 07:20 by maverick.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 Apr 2021 16:01 #234714 by Riccy
Yes little winch on the beam was a massive help. Last time I had it off the grey Jimny was still about, so used its winch and a pulley block. Little winch is just as handy for this job, but only 250kg rated as a single line pull (not that I would want to hang much more weight from the beam anyway).

Further fiddling today has got the back end on all back together apart from the load bed cover and spare wheel.
All lights wired back in and the tipper and cover rams reconnected too. Popped on a couple of red reflector triangles on the tailgate as I felt it was a bit hard to see from behind at night.
A bit more WAR black paint applied to underside parts and welded one of the cage to chassis legs back on as it had parted company.
Rear wheel arches got a bit more of a trim to stop them rubbing on the body and I have adjusted the fuel filler thing so it doesn't rub either.
New fixings all round as the old bolts were looking a bit crusty on the new paint. 

Booked in for the BigJimny meet now as well so looking forwards to that, but our first outing is in May. I may sneak a local wander about in before then though 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Soeley

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
03 May 2021 15:14 #234822 by Riccy
Finally finished sticking it all back together on saturday and sunday morning. I dont like to rush these things 

Run around on sunday and all is well, if a little creaky (dry polybushes). Then it was back in the garage and a play fitting the little alpine DAB/bluetooth adapter thing. Stuck the aerial on the winscreen, plugged in the USB and AUX leads and hey presto it works pretty well. I have plugged it into the sony head unit for now. I found running straight to the amps gave me limited control of volume and sound (bass, treble, balance, etc). The sound through it is also a bit heavy on the bass, but thats something i can adjust on the amps. I have an old crossover which might be useful. 

The some Dave Jones inspired CAD...

Which folds up like this:

and now cut out in metal and bent up to shape...

It is a brace for the throttle bodies. Something I should have made when first fitting them. the weight of them is essentially unsupported and relies on the silicone hose links to the manifold to support them. That was allowing too much movement so a brace was recommended by Johnny at JDM dyno. 

Next...

Oil change. Why o why is the oil filter that way on, making it impossible to remove without getting old oil all down my arm and all over the axle 

Anyway, the old oil was dark but super clear of any particles on the magnetic plug, which can only be a good thing 

And finally... Pulled the rear shafts out and packaged to send for measuring to get some HD ones made to a slightly different design hopefully. That now means its only mobile with 4x4 and front hubs on, which is OK for moving about the garage, but no good for highway driving. Therefore I have disconnected the battery and parked in gear with handbrake off. Sat to gather dust again 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, Lambert, jackonlyjack

More
03 May 2021 17:33 #234826 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Ulysses

Thanks for the offer to borrow Pal 
Could you tell me the set up you're using i might go and buy one 
Thanks 
Nothing exciting. Its a big 200litre 3hp compressor and the proper upol raptor adjustable gun. Both were fairly pricey, but at least the compressor can do many other things. A proper respirator mask is essential too (strong fumes). 

What's the CFM of your compressor? I wonder whether mine is up to the task? (100L 14.1CFM 3HP)

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

More
03 May 2021 20:12 #234833 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic 14cfm
Quite easily up to the task.....2.5mm tip hvlp gravity feed gun only requires 8 cfm
The following user(s) said Thank You: HUN

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
16 May 2021 17:04 #235112 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic 14cfm
My fingers slipped and I accidentally ordered some new arms from Rhino Ray...    Meaty looking things. They are to replace my aging KAP arms and have the fancy rose joints at the chassis end which I was keen to try out.Started fitting them today. Took a lot longer than expected to get them swapped, then only to find the fronts were catching on the Trailgear steering bar  I then discovered that the steering bars needed the hole reaming a little more in the swivels, so had to take it all back apart to do that. Its still catching a tiny bit on full lock. Ray suggested I might have bent arms on the swivels, something I need to check better but the fronts are on and set for now. Rears had the bolts stuck in the bushes on the axle end of the old arms so I have only got one side swapped today. Had my first covid vaccination yesterday and not feeling brilliant today, so best leave it until an evening next week.       

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
16 May 2021 17:05 - 16 May 2021 17:06 #235113 by Riccy
oh, and I was playing with this yesterday. Its a minature actuator and I intend to mount it to the throttle and use as a hand throttle to set the idle as I please...

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 May 2021 17:06 by Riccy.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 May 2021 17:12 #235115 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Ooh beefy!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds