BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
30 Dec 2020 19:31 #231353 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
and even more...

an eventful day. managed to have my first 'crash' too. slipped up badly on some ice. Checkout 7 mins into the Hardknott pass 1 video for the near death experience :woohoo: :whistle:

Old coach road 1:

Old coach road 2:

old coach road 3:

old coach road 4:

Dale bottom:

Tilberthwaite 1:

Tilberthwaite 2:

Hardknott pass 1:

Hardknott pass 2:

Lowther street:

Bootle fell 1:

Bootle fell 2:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Dec 2020 19:38 #231354 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Beautiful place for a bimble.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
03 Jan 2021 06:37 - 03 Jan 2021 06:39 #231438 by HUN
Replied by HUN on topic Ulysses
The place where I grew up is completely flat, hence I find driving at places like Hardknott pass always challenging - even in Summer :blush: .
I drove Hardknott only once in my life and whilst driving in the same direction like you did, I managed to create a small convoy of local heroes behind me.... :laugh: Driving on that road in this icey condition is very scary and too dangerous for me :unsure: . Perhaps others have bigger balls but I would be happy to have clean white pants after a trip like that :blink: . Well done!

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers
Last edit: 03 Jan 2021 06:39 by HUN.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
21 Mar 2021 17:53 #233882 by Riccy
Wow, March now. Been a while sat in lockdown here in Cumbria. Been working as normal (apart from masks on when in company), unlike last year when I was at home for 5 weeks.

However, poor Ulysses has sat unloved in the garage and gone rusty 

To be honest the paint had been peeling off in a few spots for a while. This was caused by my poor choice of primer used on bare metal areas (should have been etch primer). I had been touching it up with a brush but time is avaliable over the easter bank holiday, so I am at the strip bits off and prep stage now...

Plan this time is to treat all rusty bits with rust converter solution and cure/sand back to allow the correct etch primer to be used. Light sand on all other areas that are ok, then recoat with the same red raptor paint. Underbody and chassis, axles, arms, etc will be the good old buzzweld RCP primer and CIO black coat as it worked brilliantly on the grey jimny. Raptor with the fancy schultz gun and buzzweld with a brush. I also have some buzzweld cavity wax aerosols to get in the harder to access bits. 

Finally, having fought to get the cage back off I am now looking at it as a huge weight that I probably wont ever need. Perhaps I can slim down the weight a little   It must be over 100kg... Suggestions appreciated. 

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
21 Mar 2021 18:22 #233883 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Ulysses
Nice to see you back posting n the forum!

Look forward to seeing it all back together as soon as we're able to meet up B)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
21 Mar 2021 18:27 #233884 by Riccy
Cheers Dave, I have been lurking in the background. Im not one for commenting for the sake of it and lockdown meant no trips in the car, just looking at it going rusty.

Motivation from yours and Mike G doing some very rapid work, means the forum is still alive for me

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Mar 2021 18:59 #233888 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
I thought you could put raptor on bare metal? Or am I thinking of linex?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
21 Mar 2021 19:36 #233889 by Riccy
Nope, raptor works best onto an original paint finish, if bare metal then its gotta be the acid etch primer stuff then raptor. Ive not tried linex/gravitex stuff, but it might be a better option for underside stuff

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
21 Mar 2021 20:51 - 21 Mar 2021 20:51 #233891 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Ulysses
#Red-oxide and #Hammerite ! :lol:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2021 20:51 by X8GGY.

More
22 Mar 2021 00:48 #233898 by Mike G
Replied by Mike G on topic Ulysses
I used Gravitex on the underside of my jimny body.  It's made by U-Pol, same people that make raptor.  The gravitex has a textured orange-peel finish.  I've not used raptor, but apparently it has a smooth appearance.

I just used QD primer on the bare metal  (as I had that laying around) and then chucked two coats of gravitex on.  I don't know if that's the right way to do it, but it's on now .  I should have probably splashed out on some epoxy primer and then sprayed on the gravitex.  I've only ever used etch primers when painting aluminium,I couldnt tell you if you get etch primers for steel, maybe U-Pol recommend that in their raptor coating sytem?  When I've primed steel with single pack paints, it's usually an alkaline phosphate or zinc phosphate primer.  However, Vinyguard Silvergrey 88 would be good for single pack applications as it's used for priming topsides and bottomsides of boats.  So many different applications, but as long as you use a correct system of paints, primer, midcoat and topcoat, you can't go wrong.

2" Trailmaster suspension lift, 2"body lift, snorkel, full breather kit, 29" steel wheels with BFG tyres, tinted rear windows, CRT CB radio with modulator antenna mounted on rear, dog cage and tray in the back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Riccy

More
22 Mar 2021 13:32 #233914 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
I think Terry used etch primer after fetching off any of the original underseal that wasn't sound, then Raptor and waxed the cavities....

Good luck with your toils Riccy, Look forward to seeing you in Wales....

sniper
Attachments:

More
22 Mar 2021 19:31 #233929 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Ulysses
Regarding corrosion protection, as already mentioned above, it is very important that a suitable system is used. Generally this is
- removing of rust
- stabilizing
- grounding that the protective layer sticks to the metal
- protective layer(s)

A pretty good German website (and shop) would be www.korrosionsschutz-depot.de/ but also many paint manufacturers give instructions and a good paint seller might also be able to help you.

In industrial applications, in my opinion, the coating type C4M would be the best fitting. This coating type, if applied properly, should be sufficient for 20 years.

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds