BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Weird grind\rattle taking off in 1st gear 2019 Jimny

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2020 07:31 #227191 by CC Baxter
I started typing an answer to this but I think I fell asleep. It's not the subject, I think it was the cocoa. Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2020 06:11 #227318 by coellobranco
yes, the same thing happens to me and many colleagues with the Gen4.

• piggymalone
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Oct 2020 13:03 #228867 by piggymalone
Same problem on mine (6 months old 4K miles). Only happens when oulling off in first. Intermittent but more noticeable under load such as a hill start or when towing.
I had a very similar noise on a TD5 Defender (which was fixed under warranty) and again on a TD5 Disco at 40K miles (which wasn't under warranty so not fixed). When I spoke to a Land Rover technician they told me that the modification/ warranty fix was to replace the thrust bearing (which is what was done on the Defender) but in his view it wouldn't fail and recommended leaving it until a new clutch was fitted. Since then the Disco has done 150k miles and is still going strong on the original clutch.
I'm taking my Jimny in for some accesories they couldn't fit when I collected the vehcile before lockdown so I have listed the issue to make sure it's logged so even if they can't or won't fix it, I have a record if it ultimately becomes a warrnty issue.

More
06 Oct 2020 20:29 - 06 Oct 2020 20:32 #228878 by lightning
lt's a fairly common issue with the old Defender and can occur even after a new clutch, thrust bearing and spigot bush have been fitted.
The noise can also come from the spigot bush.

lt rarely causes any issues in Defender and can be left, sometimes the noise will disappear on its own.

l had a new clutch fitted in the Defender last year and the noise occurred after that. The garage took it apart again and fitted another thrust bearing, but it made no difference.
After a few weeks the noise diminished and eventually went away.

Our 2020 Jimny started making this short grinding noise in first gear (right after l posted that ours didn't make the noise!) after a while it was only doing it when the transmission was hot, and now it's stopped doing it.

lf you are worried about it (and there was a time when l would have been straight back to the dealer demanding that they fix it) then report it to your dealer.
Then at least if they elect to do
nothing about it you are covered.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2020 20:32 by lightning.

More
07 Oct 2020 15:10 #228896 by Pspies
I have the exact same noise on my three week old my South African 2020 Jimny 1.5GLX Manual.

It went into the dealer today for them to look at. They say it is the transfer case chain. They have applied to Suzuki for a warranty claim and will replace the chain as soon as it is approved.

I will update once it is done and if it makes any difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
07 Oct 2020 18:22 - 07 Oct 2020 18:23 #228899 by lookonimages

Pspies wrote: I have the exact same noise on my three week old my South African 2020 Jimny 1.5GLX Manual.

It went into the dealer today for them to look at. They say it is the transfer case chain. They have applied to Suzuki for a warranty claim and will replace the chain as soon as it is approved.

I will update once it is done and if it makes any difference.

I seem to have same issue. Going to take it to dealer tommorow.
Where are you in SA ?

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 07 Oct 2020 18:23 by lookonimages.

More
07 Oct 2020 21:12 #228901 by Dan
My Jimny has started making the same noise over the past couple of hundred miles.

More
08 Oct 2020 17:15 - 08 Oct 2020 17:15 #228923 by Pspies
In Durban. I took it to the Suzuki dealer in Pinetown.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2020 17:15 by Pspies.

More
13 Oct 2020 11:22 #229096 by Pspies
So latest update from my dealership. The warranty repair has been approved by Suzuki South Africa.

The replacement part ETA ... 9 November.

When asked why so long, I was advised that this part is part of an official "recall campaign" and there are many cars needing this part. This dealer alone has two other cars in the queue in front of me.

Just as an FYI, having done quite a lot of off-roading in deep sand this part week, the problem exists in 4H when taking off, and is quite clear when the vehicle is under pressure to get going in the sand. Never consciously noticed it in 4L.

I'll update in a months time when the part comes in.

• ealeman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2020 22:04 #229304 by ealeman
Last friday I got my Gen 4 with only 20km and 2 days latter I noticed this exact same noise when slowly taking off in 1st gear. Relieved to hear I'm not the only one but still it's weird. I'm taking it tomorrow to the dealership. I'll post whatever they tell me in case it's useful. I'm in Costa Rica btw.

• ealeman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2020 21:09 #229327 by ealeman
Last friday I got my Gen 4 with only 20km and 2 days latter I noticed this exact same noise when slowly taking off in 1st gear. Relieved to hear I'm not the only one but still it's weird. I'm taking it tomorrow to the dealership. I'll post whatever they tell me in case it's useful. I'm in Costa Rica btw.

Update: They said that's a normal noise..........:unsure: ... oh well hopefully it's not serious and it doesn't get worse

More
24 Oct 2020 20:54 #229473 by lightning
l can't see it being the transfer box chain, but let see if it cures the problem.
Ours has stopped making the noise, l still say it's the spigot bush.
From my experience with Land Rovers where you get exactly the same noise.
lt never causes an issue and most owners leave it until the clutch needs changing.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds