BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Challenge trayback build

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Nov 2011 10:59 #25810 by aniesigh
Replied by aniesigh on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
thanks Rob ;) , yeah don't worry that cross member isn't finished yet it will need to be dropped down between the chassis rails once box and props are in ive just left it up there unfinished while i wait for the engine and box so i can cycle the suspension and check for clearance, then it will be braced etc.
i'm always willing to listen to suggestions, thats half the reason for posting up the build thread as other people may think of things ive missed :whistle:

will be in touch soon about those rose ends i PM'd you on Devon about, will also need some bent tube for my shock hoops, will you supply those? i know you do shock hoop kits but i just want the bent tube really then i'll fab up the rest. oh and can you supply steel wheels with a decent offset?

cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2011 22:28 #26076 by aniesigh

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Nov 2011 23:31 #26078 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Challenge trayback build

aniesigh wrote:

B)

arh sweet.. 1UZFE Lexus 4.0 V8 :-)

Awesome engine :-)
What's your plan for transmission?

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Nov 2011 19:28 #26203 by aniesigh
sure is B)

its mated to a lj78 transfer box meaning i get both diff outputs being offest

More
20 Nov 2011 19:33 #26204 by supergaz
Looks like this is going to be a serious monster!

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Nov 2011 18:53 #26516 by aniesigh
Update

Got the Rear panhard mounts started:

front top links are also started:

roughly assembled a hub and offered a wheel up to it to check for steering lock, seems OK so can carry on ;)

i should point out all the brackets are only tacked, all will be fully welded then braced up once the suspension has been fully cycled B)

more soon,
Adam

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2011 16:05 #26564 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
Clearly you have some skill :laugh: . What do you use to reference to ensure it all works? I mean you cut it all off, then weld lots of new bits back on. Its amazing how you put it all together, well to me anyway :) . How long do you think it will take you to finish it?

Nobby

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2011 21:44 #26902 by aniesigh
thanks B)
erm to be honest its sort of just step by step, cut all the old mounts off and clean up the chassis etc, then work out where the axles need to go and just weld them into place with some scrap then work from there really, i think the trick is to not look at the bigger picture as it is probably easy to scare yourself, just remember anything you do can be undone (within reason) so if you f**k up its not normally the end! don't be scared to have to do something twice/ 3 times etc to get it right! the SJ trayback was the first 4x4 i've built and i was 19 when i started it, and i service caravans for a living so its not like i do this sort of thing all day everyday. i was given the sj and fancied doing something cool with it so just looked around at what others had done and what i wanted it to come out like then step by step did all the work.Every small job you do it makes the bigger jobs seem much less daunting! so my advice is just get stuck in and give it a go!

anyway, An update, although not particularly big,
Got the steering box mounted

And the chassis panhard mount done

Not a million miles from making the links and cycling it 

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Nov 2011 22:16 #26904 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
I really enjoy reading these updates. But there are too many days between then. You need to work harder Adam :-)

Are you gonna take this Jimny to events yourself, or perhaps sell it when it's done?

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2011 22:17 #27429 by aniesigh
i will use it myself for challenges as soon as its done, want to do as many of the challenge southwest events as i can next year as they're my local club. i will reply to your PM when i get a chance TomDK ive been flat out lately, Rob at Offroad-armoury would be a good person to talk to as he's built loads of linked suspension builds,

anyway,

Well over the weekend I made up some temporary links just to check it all works ok:

Under full bump the top link is hitting the difflock actuator, so needs to be offset an inch, no biggy.

Flexed up: B)

Which meant I could work out the shock mount positions, so made those and welded them on:

Then dropped the motor back in:

Had to remove the aircon compressor (was going anyway) and the alternator as it was touching the steering box, but theres room on the passenger side where the aircon came from, won’t bother mounting it until ive decided if im going for electric or hydraulic winches as if electric the alternator may well be replaced with a bigger unit or a pair etc.

The engine Is completely behind the front axle which is ideal for weight distribution, and means I can make the front top link plenty higher now! Need to get a sump from a Soarer as the bulk of the capacity on those is at the rear as the diff will hit the sump on bump at the moment, but I want to keep the engine as low as possible!
Just a quick pic to show where the starter motor is!! That will be getting rebuilt before the motor goes back in, don’t fancy having to get to that in a rush! :woohoo:

Then thought I would just try for prop situation…Bonus, Hilux rear goes straight on! ;)

And the front can be easily grafted from the small part of a hilux rear (the bit supported by the bearing) and a hilux surf front prop. So that was happy days!

Now its all come apart again for welding of the axles, trussing, mounts bracing, links making etc etc so hopefully be a rolling chassis in a couple weeks! B)
That’s all for now!

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Dec 2011 23:26 - 06 Dec 2011 23:30 #27431 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
Looking good!

Good choice of shocks too.

Mine has moved forward a bit - but nothing terribly photogenic, just the fiddly bracket making kind of thing. I spent a day last week making a beautiful gearbox mount with lots of dimpled holes and perfect folding. It looked like the kind of thing you'd be proud to post on pirate4x4. Came to fit it - then discovered I'd made the mirror image of what I needed! I exacted terrible revenge on it with the fly-press which made me feel better! I made it's replacement this evening in half an hour without any dimples or niceness - but at least it fits!

Si
Last edit: 06 Dec 2011 23:30 by X-Eng Simon.

• r_ogilvy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2011 06:53 #27436 by r_ogilvy
Replied by r_ogilvy on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
Looking good, planning on entering some events myself next year with challenge south west, so I may see you there.
I'm gonna meet a chap on there to see weather my truck meets the regs.
Will you be entering the modified class? I'm new to the challenge events so I don't no very much.

May see you there, like your build tho. Thinking off doing a tray back next year to mine. So may need some advice on that if your up for that :)

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds