BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Challenge trayback build

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2011 07:35 #27442 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
wow !!!

B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• frede.gv1
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2011 11:40 #27461 by frede.gv1
Replied by frede.gv1 on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
nice work. but why 3-link and not k-link. then you don´t need pandhardrods.

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Dec 2011 22:07 #27513 by aniesigh
Replied by aniesigh on topic Re: Challenge trayback build

X-Eng Simon wrote: Looking good!

Good choice of shocks too.

Mine has moved forward a bit - but nothing terribly photogenic, just the fiddly bracket making kind of thing. I spent a day last week making a beautiful gearbox mount with lots of dimpled holes and perfect folding. It looked like the kind of thing you'd be proud to post on pirate4x4. Came to fit it - then discovered I'd made the mirror image of what I needed! I exacted terrible revenge on it with the fly-press which made me feel better! I made it's replacement this evening in half an hour without any dimples or niceness - but at least it fits!

Si

Gutted! been there before, when i cut all the chequer plate for my SJ's trayback i made a mirror image of what i needed! unfortunately the tray wasn't quite symetrical so i had to re-do the lot! wasn't in the best of moods after that! do you use a fly press to punch the dimple dies? always liked the look of dimple dies but never even thought about how they were done for some reason :unsure:

R_ogilivy, yep i will be in mod as have locking diffs front & rear and will have at least 2 winches, hope to see you there! and yeah no worries on trayback advice, but looking at what you've already done i can't see you'll need it B)

Darthloachie, thanks, always a motivation boost :cheer:

Frede.gv1, what do you mean by K-link? i'm guessing triangulated 4 link or 3 link with A frame? if so then because both the 4 link are harder to setup, and take up more space in places space is critical, and an A-frame setup means another type of joint would be needed for the A-frame which means more spares to carry. 3 link is very much tryed and tested and easy to setup, i'm not overly adventurous on suspension designs (particularly not as this is my first one!) if you wan't adventurous suspension design check out Si's build or Zero over on difflock B)

Adam

• neofitou
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2011 19:29 #28387 by neofitou
Replied by neofitou on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
By k link he means radius arms with the top link point further up the arm, and offset on the diff (higher and toward the center more) basically it's a way to us radius arms with no panhard.

I think k link is fine in the rear, but I would rather 3link the front to maintain caster though more of the cycle. This is the setup I might do this on my next build too, but only 33" tires as I'm going to use Jimny Axels, I'm going for the narrowest track, as low as I can to suit the terrain I drive.

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2011 20:10 #28392 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
thats going to be a MONSTER JIMNY

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2011 18:28 #29522 by aniesigh
Right so ive been busy lately:
Axles all braced up and mounts strengthened

Chassis flipped and welded/ mounts strengthened

Made the link bars and built up the weld on Johnny joints, really glad I bought the tool to assemble them, sure I could have done it with some sockets and threaded bar but it made It really easy to put them all together! B)

Axles / link all painted up then axles built

Then theres a big gap in photos…but engine mounts made and welded, gearbox cross member made, and cradle to mount and protect the transfer box made as it was looking rather vulnerable! :ohmy:

Then put it all together and you get a rolling chassis! B) B)

Gearbox cross member fouls on front prop so will need to tweek that :blush:

And sump will hit front diff which I already knew about, not 100% sure whether I will try make a new one myself or try a soarer one but they seem to be abit rare and fetch silly money so maybe plan A.

Cut the exhaust flanges off so I can reposition them so they no longer foul the chassis

Nearly a 90degree departure angle even with these tyres ;)

So all in all I had a good day today putting it all together! Feels like I’m getting somewhere at last, couple of hiccups along the way though!
A poor photo but you get the idea :angry:

Oh and this :laugh:

It seems gravity had a go at making my sump fit, still no joy! :woohoo:
Got this today too, never seen a cool looking grinder disc before! Looking forward to giving that beast a try! :evil:

That’s it for now, just got to plumb the exhaust brakes and cooling, make the panhards, fit the body, trayback it and extend front wings, wire it up, fit the winches, blah blah blah right that’s me depressed again! :woohoo:

• r_ogilvy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2011 18:45 #29523 by r_ogilvy
Replied by r_ogilvy on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
great build, looking forward to seeing it at the events when its done. :)

More
30 Dec 2011 19:19 #29525 by mcjimny
Great work, those axles look bombproof. Can't wait to see the finished result.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2011 20:49 #29529 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
carnt wait to see it on the mud

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Dec 2011 22:06 #29541 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
Good job!

It's nice to see that you've been plagued with clearance issues too! I re-made my front prop three times - with the final version being made from a Land Rover half shaft 31mm - and now I have 2mm clearance on the sump and 1mm on the front A frame under full compression. Not much, but enough.

Today I made the exhaust with lots of complicated bends - a real pain in the bottom!

I'll post some piccies soon. All I have to do now is plumb the brakes, connect the handbrake and wire up the lockers - then it's drivable. When the weather gets better, I'll make the external cage & winch mountings. Tube bending needs more space than I have indoors.

Si

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Dec 2011 09:46 #29557 by aniesigh
Cheers all B)

Si, haha yea i think doing the type of build we've both undertaken theres always going to be loads of clearance issues, i'm sure there are easier ways of getting around them but the most time consuming tend to be the ones with the best end result...which is a pain! :laugh:

i'm not looking forward to doing my exhaust, the N/S shouldnt be a problem but O/S has to go over the transfer box without interupting the shift mechanism :unsure: thats a headscratcher for another day though :laugh:

looking forward to seeing how yours is progressing B)

• viciouspenguin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Dec 2011 19:47 #29611 by viciouspenguin
Replied by viciouspenguin on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
I'm lost for words.

If the devil wanted a Jimny, I think he'd give you a call.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds