BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Challenge trayback build

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2012 20:25 #39533 by aniesigh
Replied by aniesigh on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
sounds a similar situation then..other commitments and all that :(

I think a GV motor would be a good shout to be fair, think the v8 will be abit overkill, i know Gerry on ORA forum has gone back to open diffs as he was ruining landcruiser axles when locked even with the GV v6 motor, will see what happens with mine!
cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2012 20:29 #39536 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
The lexus v8 might be overkill, but rather cheap, and what an engine.. and sound B)

Actually thought LC 70-series axles would be suitable for the GV 2.5 engine.. But perhaps I'm going to need uprated shafts then? :-)

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2012 20:31 #39539 by aniesigh
yeah i'm not at all dissapointed i went for it! well not yet anyway :woohoo:
i did too but thats the problems he was having, think he's uprated shafts not but im not 100% sure

• Smoggy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2012 20:37 #39543 by Smoggy
Replied by Smoggy on topic Re: Challenge trayback build

TomDK wrote: The lexus v8 might be overkill, but rather cheap, and what an engine.. and sound B)

Actually thought LC 70-series axles would be suitable for the GV 2.5 engine.. But perhaps I'm going to need uprated shafts then? :-)

Yoy could try contacting Gazwell hes just done GV2.5 on LC 70 series axles.

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2012 20:46 #43358 by aniesigh
Im backkkkk!
Never got round to updating build thread when I finished working on it a few months ago, so heres some pics of the cab shortened:

Still lots to do on it, grinding it all back, filling and tidying but that’s a job for another time.
Its been upside down and had some box section sills put it, still need finishing off but wanted to work out how much of the floor pan etc was going to go and where the body mounts would end up.

Flexed the rear up to check for clearance/shock mounts etc, this pic is with the front suspension still flat so should get appx double that wheel travel.

Treated myself to some wheels, couldn’t resist as they’re what I’ve wanted from day 1 but couldn’t justiy the price of new ones, when a second hand set came up I had to have them!

Then today dropped the body back on, was planning to extend the bonnet bay and have the body sat about 5” further back than it normally would be, but the cab (although shortened) is actually quite long and it would have left only about 18” between the back of the cab and the rear of the chassis so it would have looked pretty odd, also the front wheels were near enough entirely in front of the body so also looked abit weird. In the end I decided the only real option was to do what I’ve been trying to avoid having to do, and cut the bulkhead and bring the engine into the cab slightly, so out came the dash and most of the bulkhead!

And there it is as it stands at the moment! That’s at full bump and it hits on front wings just about, going to have to do some trimming and rebuilding of the front panel anyway as its all rotten out. Had a slight accident turning it back over from when It was upside down doing the sills, O/S wing is scrap, and windscreen doesn’t look too clever  oh well. That’s all for now!

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jul 2012 19:58 #43416 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
Been a long time since i had a look at this. Its sweeeet! B) I can not wait to see this thing finished.

Nobby

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jul 2012 00:22 #43428 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
Great to see it's coming along. Shame about the wing & screen - but these things happen, even to me ;)

Si

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2012 15:01 #43601 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
Them wheels are AMAZING! great colour combo with the bead locks :woohoo: Good work keep us updated.

• renard38
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Jul 2012 19:35 #43657 by renard38
Replied by renard38 on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
so so good job!!! B)

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 21:14 #47360 by aniesigh
Replied by aniesigh on topic Challenge trayback build
Right so I’ve been back on it again lately, have been sort of struggling with motivation as I’d reached so many hurdles with loads of bits and bobs that there wasn’t a lot I could do without going back and coming up with solutions for all the unfinished bits and bobs. Not actually achieved a great deal other than getting back into the swing of things, but its nice that its actually going in the right direction!

Made transfer box linkage, left them as stubs until the interior takes abit more shape so can work out exactly where to put the levers.

Some framework for gearbox tunnel/bulkhead. The idea is the whole tunnel will be un-boltable from the bulkhead to enable easer access should I need it

Sat the seat in to get an idea of where everything needs to go

Had to swap the lever from the gear selector from the right side to left as transfer linkages were in the way on O/S, then make a linkage that goes up and over the gearbox to the shifter, not ideal but works OK.

Next I temporarily welded the cats where they want to sit so I can make the downpipes, had to notch the chassis to get them through, flexi’s and flanges should be here tomorrow so I can finish them.

Then I’m sort of grinding to a temporary hault again, as need to get some more kit. Want a Tig welder so I can modify my sump and tig up the exhaust,and plasma cutter so I can cut new brackets for the replacement front axle (swapping to hilux due to availability of uprated parts)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Sep 2012 21:40 #47367 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Challenge trayback build
nice work B)
I have skill envy!!!!

• Tadpole
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2012 08:02 #47384 by Tadpole
Replied by Tadpole on topic Challenge trayback build
Watching this with great interest some serious work here ..... :ohmy:

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds