BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Challenge trayback build

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jan 2012 16:50 #29681 by aniesigh
Replied by aniesigh on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
well wasn't very motivated yesterday but bolted the steering box back on, with the setup how it was on little toe because the steering box is further forward now theres no way it will work it all fouls as it has to cross over.

come up with a plan, if i move the box up a set of holes the tie bar now has clearance on the pitman arm, also means theres room to put the original alternator back on (just) which is handy and also means that getting the steering joints onto the box will be easier.

then a mount in the tie bar to take the rose joints from ORA and the pitman arm adapted to double shear for a similar mount at that end and should be ok

so many things to think about in this there was always going to be things that didnt work first time! ah well keeps me out of trouble and my bank balance in trouble

oh and came up with a plan for the body

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X-Eng Simon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Jan 2012 23:33 #29932 by X-Eng Simon
Replied by X-Eng Simon on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
The plan for the body looks a bit like you're weighing it in?

Si

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2012 07:41 #29945 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
you'd get more selling the doors, bonnet, windows etc first

More
04 Jan 2012 08:59 #29947 by Halford
could do with the roof rail clip on end covers :whistle:

even those black rubber side protectors are about £60 new - clean them up and apply some adhesive tape and there's £25 straight away.

there's definitely a few quid lying there and even if you can't be bothered, sure you'd know someone who'd list it as a shell break, deal with enquiries and sell bits for a commission

............ think I'll have to build a bigger shed at my allotment and start Jimny breaking :silly:

• adamatdraycott
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2012 09:21 #29953 by adamatdraycott
Replied by adamatdraycott on topic Re: Challenge trayback build

Halford wrote: even those black rubber side protectors are about £60 new - clean them up and apply some adhesive tape and there's £25 straight away.

Depending on condition i'd buy them!

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2012 10:04 #29956 by aniesigh
No not scrapping the body, the yellow lines are where its going to get cut though :evil:

will have a look at what condition the black trims are in, and the roof bar end caps are available ;)
rear lights will be sold, and anything from the interior, and the rear windows then the back half will be weighed in unless someone wants to buy it to make a jimny trailer

Front end i'm not sure what im doing with 100% yet, but it needs to be extended whatever happens

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2012 15:42 #29980 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
Get this built!!

By god those LJ axles are HUUGE!! :lol:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 19:19 #34440 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Re: Challenge trayback build
So,
What ever happened to this build ? :-)

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Feb 2012 20:52 #34450 by aniesigh
well its not been abandoned, alot of the work to the cab has been done but various things (forthcoming ski trip, problems with my every day car, illness, building a new tube bender, general lack of money) have slowed progress down some what. but fear not it will get completed just not as soon as i would like!
Adam

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2012 17:12 #39512 by TomDK
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHi again Adam :-)

Any news on this build ?

Did you find a solution to the sump/diff problem ?

I found this on Ebay, don't know if it's of any use :-)

• aniesigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2012 17:16 #39513 by aniesigh
Hi Tom, no real news, its still in my mind but unfortunately on the back burner at the moment, hopefully will be back being worked on in the next month or so though ;) gathering parts along the way steadily, got the kit to charge the shocks now,and got a new winch rope today funnily enough (buying things as they come up cheap)

thanks for the link on the sump, i sort of have one lined up but the chap doesnt seem in any rush to remove it for me, but as this chap has it off i can ask him for some dimensions to find out if it will actually clear. i think even these sumps will be close but was just going to buy one but this might be a better way forward, cheers! hows your build?
Adam

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 May 2012 20:16 #39532 by TomDK
Looking forward to see your work then :-)

As for my own Jimny.. Well, just been at sea for the last 2 months.
But I got a Goodwinch TDS 9.5c mounted, also OME 2" lift and 235/75-15 Insa turbo special tracks. Now on a bit of a standstill though. I've also got a house that needs some work (lots of work :) )

Also, I think I'm going back to my original plans and making it not road legal. More options for engine, suspension :-)

Just not sure which engine... The 1UZ-FE is certainly something, but a lot of work.. So I considered perhaps trying to find a complete GV 2,5 V6 engine, with auto-gearbox and transfer.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds