BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

The SJ413, SJ410 and SJ510/2 trailer of the Yakuza

More
11 Jan 2023 12:05 - 11 Jan 2023 12:19 #246817 by yakuza
To do list:
Ignition system swap -done
Alternator swap -done
Fuel tank replace -parts ordered
Front brakes replace and service -done
rear brakes -parts ordered
Engine service, -parts ordered
Windshield frame replace -Found one to put there, needs paint.
Headlights -done
Driver seat
MOT
Drive it around
Sell it :)

So done the front brakes, piston and caliper looked fine once cleaned.
Rear brakes was stuck on one side and broken pad. found a brake cylinder and cleaned it up nice and replaced. waiting for new pads now.

shiny.

Air driven suction bleeder. Makes it possible to air the front brakes alone. The rear wheel can be bled alone as i can reach the bleed valve with my stretched out hand while depressing the pedal at the same time. what other car i say :)

The Seat cushion is broken on the front side. I have some Samurai seats but I don't think they would fit visually. Will try to find a not so worn original seat cushion from the passenger side to fit to the driver seat.

Checked underneath and it looks suprisingly good. Two large rusty spots but no visible holes. should be ok to get MOT'ed at least. will try to treat whatever rust i can find underneath at a later stage. Funny how it took 4 days from i bought it before i looked under there :side: it will never be rust free, but stil if it rust twice as much in the next 38 years it will still be around when it is 76 years old.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jan 2023 12:19 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2023 20:51 - 12 Jan 2023 20:59 #246845 by yakuza
My driver side door (other side :) ) was not so good, difficult to close, window slamming and just not a solid impression. I just wanted to make it work better. The skin had come off the front frame and skin had cracked in the middle so it was very loose and slamming and wobbly. I weld it up and at the same time welded the window slide frame that had come loose from a rust hole in the bottom. and then did two rust holes as well
So tonight all the time in the garage was spent doing rust. was not supposed to do this now, but doesn't allways go as planned

Not beautiful but shows how big the holes was.

Does not look so awful when covered in a thick paint. and still it is all metal now.

Funny how it still is worth probably just as little as i paid for it. Paid approx 1000€ and it will be worth maybe 3000€ if I find the right buyer when I am done and it is fully functional and has a fresh MOT. I will most likely spend around 1000€ in parts as well.
Of course I could have done this to a "nice" and desirable car with a larger interest and demand and made a lot of money but what is the fun in that? :)

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jan 2023 20:59 by yakuza.

More
14 Jan 2023 18:20 - 14 Jan 2023 19:12 #246894 by yakuza
Waiting for parts now and it is ok with the weather which has turned to cold again. This was a nice week in the garage at around +5 C.
Now it will be around -5 for a week or so.

Found more to weld on the door as it had more cracks more places.
Got the door back in, and now it slams really nice with the nice sound. got it well adjusted. Will need to open the door card and paint and treat the inside but must be warmer first.

Straightened a ding in the rear bumper, checked the lights, swapped the spare tire to a cool one :)
Will take a break now until sometime next week when parts arrive.

Last edit: 14 Jan 2023 19:12 by yakuza.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jan 2023 22:06 #246899 by Lambert
Good to know you are saving another Jimny from the recycling.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
15 Jan 2023 13:43 #246913 by yakuza

Good to know you are saving another Jimny from the recycling.
I got a lot to make up for. Think I might have sent 6 or 7 or more, but parts from all those still live on elsewhere.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
18 Jan 2023 21:32 - 19 Jan 2023 07:21 #247005 by yakuza

Parts arrived :) 

Brakes worked after a while. had to give both wheel cylinders in the rear an overhaul. My brake cylinders in stock are too short for the SJ410. Will order new ones next time I get car parts. When I saw I could make markings in the floor, i went out for a short test run. But after a short time the brake fluid lamp came on, so seems I got a leak. But driving in the snow and sleet made the car wet so I'll see if I can find the leak next time. But I think the brakes were even and made all four wheels lock up on snow at least. And it seems the main brake cylinder is fine.

The Fuel tank has left India according to the tracking. will take a few weeks i guess. hoping to get most of the car done in time for the tank to arrive so i can get it MOT'ed asap when the tank is in.

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jan 2023 07:21 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

More
24 Jan 2023 21:06 - 24 Jan 2023 21:24 #247160 by yakuza
Warm weather now so spending time in the garage.

From last time I tried to swap the timing belt, but it was the wrong kit. My car need 84 teeth belt but the one i got is 89 and wrong tightening wheel.
I ordered a new one so on the way. Also ordered a new wheel cylinder for the rear brakes as one was very rusty but kind of works now. But I can change it still.

Also took the door lock out from inside the door and tightened the mechanism. gets worn and loose and sloppy.
Love the door now compared to how it was slamming before. 

Took the aft exhaust off it. cannot find a new one localy so will be just welding it for now and buying another later if I can find it.

Finally got the tank out. been spraying the bolts and fitting a few days before a couple of times so all bolts came off nice. 
two straps around the tow bar and rear axle so i could lower it down. And pour the gas over to a can.

fittings all came loose, and sending unit and all can be reused. not sure if anyhing comes with the new tank.

so suprised to how much metal this car got. there is so little rust compared to many f the other cars I have either owned and used or sent to the eternal cycle of steel.

So suprised to see this tank protector with no rust holes and still solid. did not bother to do this properly with sandblasting as there was just very small surface rust. treated with oily paint.

Hoping more parts come this week.

Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Jan 2023 21:24 by yakuza.

More
27 Jan 2023 21:31 - 27 Jan 2023 21:38 #247212 by yakuza
Now this is stupid:

Should have bought a new one but haven't found dealers or used part locally yet. 
With the smelly and leaky tank out I could weld at the rear of the car without the clear and present danger of setting fire to it.
Also there is a lot more room for me and the exhaust.
Had to weld a large piece in the muffler, all brackets, and the end piece is now a piece of hydraulic pipe.

Got parts still in the mail seems they will arrive on Monday. Dunno when the tank will come.

Will also try to find the leak in the rear axle shaft and weld it.
I haven't seen a leaky axle before, but really looks like there is oil coming out at the spring perch.

Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Jan 2023 21:38 by yakuza.

More
31 Jan 2023 20:31 - 31 Jan 2023 23:05 #247304 by yakuza

Welded the rear axle housing today.

Had to set the axle under pressure to find the leak point.

tried to weld the exact spot but there was too much rust so had to weld around it.
not easy to get it seal welded with all the oil and rust. Got it OK, but I will need a new rear axle later.
I will pick one up later in the summer or at the meet. Got a lot of 413 axles but no 410 so will try to make a trade.

To do list:
Ignition system swap -done
Alternator swap -done
Fasten the battery - done
Treat the worst rust underneath -done
straighten the rear bumper -done
Front brakes replace and service -done
Headlights -done
Exhaust - done
Timing belt -done
Leaky axle - done
Fuel tank replace -parts ordered
Rear brakes -parts recieved
Windshield frame replace -Found one to put there, needs paint.
Floor mats -new
Engine oil -bought new
check drivetrain oils
Driver seat -
MOT
Drive it around :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Jan 2023 23:05 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

More
03 Feb 2023 22:43 - 03 Feb 2023 22:44 #247337 by yakuza
Tank arrived :)

transport or warehouse damage so the filler tube is bent.
Seller offered to do a partial refund, great!

Cold outside so did this in the basement workshop. 
Two coats of 2 comp base primer after sanding the paint it came with.

Makeshift spray booth. The house stinks! Thankfully I got a very understanding wife.
A rattle can of black body protect stone chip dunno what you call it :D
And it is ready to hang under the car when it gets a bit warmer outside.

Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Feb 2023 22:44 by yakuza.

More
04 Feb 2023 17:12 - 04 Feb 2023 17:38 #247350 by yakuza

Streamer sticker stays or leaves? Started to fix the donor windscreen frame and window.
Managed to remove the glass without damage. these are not easy to come by except for on my garage loft but still wouldn't waste one.
soapy water, the correct toools (blue, not yellow) and careful persuasion. 

removed everything from the frame and put on two coats of primer on top of the powder coating it had.
 Now ready for sanding and filler here and there. Not sure if I paint it myself or get it to a pro.

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Feb 2023 17:38 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
06 Feb 2023 20:53 - 06 Feb 2023 20:57 #247395 by yakuza
Now this was a good day!

So i got the tank back in while the rear axle was out. Not needed to remove the axle but more space is ok.

couldn't live with myself and the botch job I did on trying to get the axle sealed so yesterday I took it off the car.
put it up on a stand and today I got at it properly. Removed the spring perch to get at the rust beneath.

took measurments to place new perch in the right spot.

grind all rust off and there was nothing left. alot of welding and grinding so later

I could pressure test before making a new perch from 50x50mm box.

Got to wait now for the paint to dry.
Half thin rust treatment oil and half paint.

Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Feb 2023 20:57 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds