BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Re:Re:Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2021 17:37 #234529 by rayz_x
Replied by rayz_x on topic Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.
Thank you to everyone who helped with this. I did this a few days ago. When I took it apart the seal had come out and was hanging on the shaft.
The new seal pushed in easily but seems to have come out again as I still have a leak.
Does the seal go flush with the face or need tapping in below the surface? Anyone else had this happen?
Ray

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Apr 2021 19:46 #234532 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.
Flush with the face. They ought to need a bit more than just being pushed home by hand.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rayz_x

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Apr 2021 20:52 #234537 by rayz_x
Replied by rayz_x on topic Re:Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.
I thought so. These were proper seals from the Bigjimny shop. They pushed in easily. Will try again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

More
17 Apr 2021 21:26 #234539 by DrRobin
I did both kingpin bearings on my Jimny recently and replaced the shaft oil seals, both old seals were difficult to get out and had to be levered out with a screwdriver or hooked implement.

The new seals had to be pushed/tapped in, definitely not just slid in. Mind everything was seized/stuck on my Jimny, so it came as no surprise, the seals were stuck in place.

I wouldn’t have thought that the seals will come out once assembled, I would have thought that the CV would keep them in place.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
18 Apr 2021 08:57 #234540 by Roger Fairclough
If your seal literally falls out then yes, you have a problem and you will need to locate and fix the seal into position. I would use an RTV sealant but make sure both the edge of the seal and the housing are cleaned of any oil or grease. Allow to set for an hour before you refit the shaft.

As to why it happened, this is a bit of a mystery. Either the housing is to big or the seal is to small. Either way it has happened and the RTV may be your way out.

Roger

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2021 10:31 #234542 by rayz_x
Replied by rayz_x on topic Re:Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.
I have just taken it apart. The seal was hanging on the shaft. I got the Vernier on it and I think the recess is .4 mm deeper than the seal. The seal will go just below the surface and that may be all I didn't do.
I'll try that..
In good news, I am getting faster at this job each time.
Ray

More
18 Apr 2021 19:26 #234557 by DrRobin
I would second Roger’s suggestion and put it in with a bit of sealant or Loctite, a 0.4mm recess is not going to hold it in.

Still a bit of a mystery why the casting is larger than it should be, I wouldn’t have thought that even if the oil seal spun round it would wear the casting, perhaps yours was made on a Friday afternoon.

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

The following user(s) said Thank You: RayPaterson

More
18 Apr 2021 19:44 #234558 by Scimike
I think the casting is slightly larger initially from memory as the seal is very easy to push into the recess. It's only the last few mm that pinch up and hold it in place, but this requires driving home with an oversized socket to avoid damaging it. So once driven full home it is quite tight and will not easily move. But as said if you have any doubt a bit of sealant will not hurt anything, but it should not be needed.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RayPaterson

• RayPaterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2021 19:46 #234614 by RayPaterson
Replied by RayPaterson on topic Re:Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.
Thanks again everyone. I tapped the seal in well this time. Fingers crossed. At least I am getting faster at this job ever time. 
Ray

• RayPaterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2021 18:34 #234638 by RayPaterson
Replied by RayPaterson on topic Re:Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.
It's leaking again! Really don't know what to do with it. That's 3 new seals and each one has come out.
A wild thought - is it possible the diff breather is blocked and pressure is pushing out the seal when it warms up? Does the breather just pull off to check?
Otherwise I am looking for something to stick the seal in place. Can't find agreement on what would stick it. I have seen Loctite green mentioned, Loctite 603, Permatex 2B.

Ray

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Apr 2021 03:26 #234640 by Lambert
Unfortunately the front axle is inert in normal 2wd drive mode so doesn't create that kind of heat. To me it's starting to sound like something has happened/been done to damage the seal seat at some point in the past. The option is probably going to be either have the seat remachined to the next nominally sized seal or replace the whole axle case with a known good one. Not cheap either way. If it's any consolation I am having the same issue with one of the kingpin bearing seats and all the clever loctite compounds are at best a sticking plaster on a gunshot wound.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2021 06:41 #234641 by rayz_x
Replied by rayz_x on topic Re:Re:Re:Re:Front axle oil seal.
Thank you for the advice. As this is a vacuum hub version surely the diff and shafts are active when driving? 4WD is engaged when the hubs are locked into the shafts.
I can't imagine anything sticking the seal in though.
Tempted to bite the bullet and take it to the Suzuki dealer to get them to fit a seal.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds