BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suspension question

• Seawolfvarna
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 08:45 - 23 Jun 2011 08:47 #18157 by Seawolfvarna
Replied by Seawolfvarna on topic Re: Suspension question

supergaz wrote: Prop spacers are only needed if caster correction for 3'' or above is used. I have a 4.5'' lift with castor correction for 4.5'' lift and use a 1'' prop spacer only on the transfer box end of the front prop.
I have also just fitted a 2'' body lift from jimnybits as he can also supply steering shaft spacers, these are highly recommended on a 2'' body lift and above.

Hi Supergaz

I am also shopping from Jimnybits and I am planning to buy the following items
-castor corrected bushes - super pro - 4 pcs;
- rear panhard relocation bracket;
- spring spacers of 1" super pro;
- steering rod spacer
and some other items which I already purchased from there.
Looks, like with upgraded trail master from 2"to 3" I will have to fix also these prop spacers on transfer box shaft .
I hope that 1" will be enough.

Yours
Nikolay
Last edit: 23 Jun 2011 08:47 by Seawolfvarna.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Seawolfvarna
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 08:53 - 23 Jun 2011 08:57 #18160 by Seawolfvarna

ooky_123 wrote: Im running a +2" suspension lift, +2" body lift on standard radius arms and pannard rods.

Just fitted the lower ration transfer case and now am looking to move up to 31" tyres from the current 29" ones.

Might swap out the pannard rods forst, and the radius arms with castor correction closer to the winter

Hi

Can you share information about what kind of lower ration transfer case:
- mini lobster;
- rock lobster;
- rock crawler.
It will be very nice if you can share, where in UK I can buy one of these. I believe I am going to need something like that.
I am looking on that one, but I am not sure is it compatible with my 2001 Jimny

www.calmini4x4.de/CALMINI-514-1-ROCKCRAWLER-GEARSET

Yours
Nikolay
Last edit: 23 Jun 2011 08:57 by Seawolfvarna.

More
23 Jun 2011 10:22 #18164 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: Suspension question
With just castor correction bushes you should not need a prop spacer, 1/2'' at most, Castor correction bushes return the diff/axle back to its original angle after fitting lift springs or spacers. A prop spacer is used due to the extra droop between the transfer box and diff. If you look at the space between the front prop and the chassis cross member then this gap closes up when the diff is returned to its correct angle. I have castor correction arms for a 4.5'' lift and even with a 1'' prop spacer there is a very small gap between the prop and cross member as the prop is now more vertical.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seawolfvarna

• Seawolfvarna
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 10:50 #18166 by Seawolfvarna

supergaz wrote: With just castor correction bushes you should not need a prop spacer, 1/2'' at most, Castor correction bushes return the diff/axle back to its original angle after fitting lift springs or spacers. A prop spacer is used due to the extra droop between the transfer box and diff. If you look at the space between the front prop and the chassis cross member then this gap closes up when the diff is returned to its correct angle. I have castor correction arms for a 4.5'' lift and even with a 1'' prop spacer there is a very small gap between the prop and cross member as the prop is now more vertical.

Hi, Mate

I like to fix exactly same tyres like yours or may be 30". This is why I am trying to make all this modification now. Can you tell please do you have some modification in your T-case. Some of these which I already mentioned above. I now that only lifting and body lifting will be not enough to fit such a tyres, without to make some modification on the T-case. Please advice, where in UK I can find such a modification parts. So far I am buying everything for my Jimny from UK.

Best regards:
Nikolay

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 11:56 #18173 by Monkey
Replied by Monkey on topic Re: Suspension question
Mate what are you trying to achieve here? Like what sort of off road jimny are you trying to build?

See the the main issue here is gearing it is rather $$$ to gear a jimny to suit larger tyres, it's even harder to gear a late model jimny this is one of the reasons why i;m not running 30"(or bigger). IMO a much better path to go down it 2-3" lift with 235's tyre on off set rims, add a locker or 2 and it will be unstoppable. There is no real need to add a body lift to clear 30''s i know a few people who are running 235's and NO lift at all and other running 3"lift with 30's.

• Seawolfvarna
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 14:49 #18185 by Seawolfvarna

Monkey wrote: Mate what are you trying to achieve here? Like what sort of off road jimny are you trying to build?

See the the main issue here is gearing it is rather $$$ to gear a jimny to suit larger tyres, it's even harder to gear a late model jimny this is one of the reasons why i;m not running 30"(or bigger). IMO a much better path to go down it 2-3" lift with 235's tyre on off set rims, add a locker or 2 and it will be unstoppable. There is no real need to add a body lift to clear 30''s i know a few people who are running 235's and NO lift at all and other running 3"lift with 30's.

Hi, Mate

So, you running you Jimny without any gear modification and there is no any issues with performance in terms of speed and power range of a standard factory car. That's very good, so then I will make like you. I will do this +1" for trial master and in order to cut less may be I will fix also 2"body lift and then I will make a try.

Thanks

Yours
Nikolay

More
23 Jun 2011 18:45 - 23 Jun 2011 18:47 #18193 by MigCooper
Replied by MigCooper on topic Re: Suspension question
Got the tyres fitted :woohoo:

I've fitted 30" malatesta kaiman and what a diferrence it makes and the jimny looks :evil: now :)

Did some trimming on the arches and bumpers and that was all, but will have to flex the suspension to see if the tires will rub anywhere .... ;)

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...
Last edit: 23 Jun 2011 18:47 by MigCooper.

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jun 2011 23:15 #18200 by Monkey

Seawolfvarna wrote:

Monkey wrote: Mate what are you trying to achieve here? Like what sort of off road jimny are you trying to build?

Hi, Mate

So, you running you Jimny without any gear modification and there is no any issues with performance in terms of speed and power range of a standard factory car. That's very good, so then I will make like you. I will do this +1" for trial master and in order to cut less may be I will fix also 2"body lift and then I will make a try.

Thanks

Yours
Nikolay

No! There is still a power loss, as 235's are around 12% bigger than stock tyres, so you will notice a difference, but if you have good driving technique you should be fine, just need to work the REV's and gear box more, but any bigger than 235's gearing is a must. I should also note, that i do have a few performance mods, to gain a bit back. Also there is no need for a body lift, you won;t get any tyres scrubbing issues cus you already have the ORA front and rear bars right?

But please don;t body lift, there is no need for it :cheer: unless you are planning on 31's or bigger.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jun 2011 05:27 #18206 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: Suspension question
you don't need a body lift for 31"
just add some 1.5" coil spacers

More
24 Jun 2011 05:58 #18207 by MigCooper
Mate

You dont need a body lift, I have the 30" fitted no body lift and no problem except I had to trim the arches.

Relation to power I have a rocklobster fitted in mine so power is not an issue ;)

If you are looking to go bigger then 235's as Monkey said gearing is a must... even a 235's I think you are already asking to much of the clutch and the low range is kind of to hi .... :S

3" Spring Lift + 1" Spacers / ES300 Shockers / TJM Snorkel / Extended Brake Lines / Castor Correction Bushes / Adjustable Panhard Rods / 30" Kaiman / 4.16 Redacted lobster / No Anti Roll Bar / Rock Sliders (Home made) / Diff Guards from ORA / 32mm Spacers /...

• Monkey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jun 2011 06:01 #18208 by Monkey

MigCooper wrote: Mate

You dont need a body lift, I have the 30" fitted no body lift and no problem except I had to trim the arches.

Relation to power I have a rocklobster fitted in mine so power is not an issue ;)

If you are looking to go bigger then 235's as Monkey said gearing is a must... even a 235's I think you are already asking to much of the clutch and the low range is kind of to hi .... :S

Your doing it wrong.... you need to use your right foot more :silly: :lol:

More
24 Jun 2011 06:22 - 24 Jun 2011 06:24 #18210 by MigCooper
lol :D

kind going slow down hill that is my biggest worry ..... Thats where I felt the low range was more needed

Last edit: 24 Jun 2011 06:24 by MigCooper.

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds