× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Axle breather extenders

More
21 Aug 2024 07:38 - 21 Aug 2024 07:41 #257256 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic Axle breather extenders

I am sort of thinking of taking the output in to the snorkel rather than an open pipe under the bonnet, it will just need a pipe fitting of some description and I can't see any downside of doing that.

The diff vent is there to equalize pressure at atmospheric.  Adding suction seems like it would have all kinds of potential ill effects. 

Getting the diff vent opening as high as possible might be desirable, but connecting it to the inlet of a large air pump is probably not advisable.  Or am I misunderstanding what you wrote?
Last edit: 21 Aug 2024 07:41 by Motacilla.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2024 08:23 #257257 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Axle breather extenders
Thanks, I hadn’t thought about the lower pressure, although I doubt it’s much lower than atmosphere in the snorkel, there is an air box and filter between the snorkel and the inlet (throttle body).

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
21 Aug 2024 08:43 #257258 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Axle breather extenders
I've got the Des-Sol breather kit. I spent a lot of time faffing around with home-brew setups using garden hose and jubilee clips and was never happy with the results. Have had zero issues with the DS kit and don't think about it any longer.

More
21 Aug 2024 09:13 #257259 by DrRobin

I've got the Des-Sol breather kit. I spent a lot of time faffing around with home-brew setups using garden hose and jubilee clips and was never happy with the results. Have had zero issues with the DS kit and don't think about it any longer.

That's good to know and exactly what I want.  Did you connect up the transfer case and gear box and was the transfer case accessible without dropping it?

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
21 Aug 2024 11:14 #257262 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Axle breather extenders

Thanks, I hadn’t thought about the lower pressure, although I doubt it’s much lower than atmosphere in the snorkel, there is an air box and filter between the snorkel and the inlet (throttle body).

Robin
I think people might run the breather pipes up the outside of a snorkel. I couldn’t put them inside it. Pressure drop at wide open throttle is probably quite significant.

That said. I’d just terminate the breathers at the top of the bulkhead in the engine bay. I have no intention of driving through water deeper than the bonnet. And the bow wave and wake of a moving vehicle will mean the water level would be significantly lower in the engine bay than on the outside of the vehicle.

Should water really reach that level you’d likely have more issues than potential water in the diffs IMO.

More
21 Aug 2024 11:17 #257263 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Axle breather extenders
Btw I messaged Vitmods on eBay asking if their kit fits the Gen 4. This was their reply:

“ As yet I’ve to check the fitment on these - I believe the axles are the same but not sure on the gearbox mate”

Tbh I actually prefer how their kit attached to the axle. It looks like it would be more secure than the Des Sol setup. But it doesn’t have a tidy engine bay finisher. And I won’t be running mine to the snorkel as I have no idea how you’d make it look tidy.

More
21 Aug 2024 12:32 #257264 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Axle breather extenders
I have mine rolled up between the battery and side panel. You don't see them and would need to be sat in water before it takes any on. Will try and sort a pic (or my fitting link)

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
21 Aug 2024 18:14 #257268 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Axle breather extenders

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
21 Aug 2024 18:31 #257270 by DrRobin

I think people might run the breather pipes up the outside of a snorkel. I couldn’t put them inside it. Pressure drop at wide open throttle is probably quite significant.

That said. I’d just terminate the breathers at the top of the bulkhead in the engine bay. I have no intention of driving through water deeper than the bonnet. And the bow wave and wake of a moving vehicle will mean the water level would be significantly lower in the engine bay than on the outside of the vehicle.

Should water really reach that level you’d likely have more issues than potential water in the diffs IMO.
Yeah, I will probably abandon the snorkel, I have heard of it been done, but I am not intending to go through deep water, just want to extend the breather above the 300mm they currently are, so somewhere on the front bulkhead will do fine for me.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
21 Aug 2024 21:32 #257272 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Axle breather extenders

That's good to know and exactly what I want.  Did you connect up the transfer case and gear box and was the transfer case accessible without dropping it?

Robin

I've connected the transfer case, which is very difficult to reach, but can be done if you've got small hands! I've not hooked up the gearbox as the supplied manifold only has ports for diffs and TC, plus I'm never going to go that deep in water (hopefully!)

More
22 Aug 2024 06:18 #257274 by RumbleAndSway
Installation Guide: des-sol.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2021/08...tions_compressed.pdf

Most of the install is easy but removing the existing breather caps was a real challenge: need a lift/ramp, breather cap removal tool and in my case, a second pair of strong hands.

I purchased through jimny wild.co.za - bundled with their no-drill-snorkel - combined UPS charges/import £75

Looks quality but too early to say if the breathers are a good investment - purchased May 24 and yet to encounter a water hazard [fitted these in preparation for winter 24/25.]

Big fan of the no-drill-snorkel - I like the increased induction sound. Only downside is fitting the steel connecting pipe to the air-box takes real patience and persistence.  

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motacilla

More
22 Aug 2024 06:59 #257275 by Motacilla
Replied by Motacilla on topic Axle breather extenders
Good info, thanks for posting.

How do the Des-Sol breather caps seal on the vent unit? And what material are the caps made of?

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds