× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Axle breather extenders

More
22 Aug 2024 10:55 #257276 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Axle breather extenders

Good info, thanks for posting.

How do the Des-Sol breather caps seal on the vent unit? And what material are the caps made of?
They look like small aluminium pieces that use an o ring and a grub screw to attach to the stem of the breather once you remove the cap.

Risks are the o ring perishing or cracking. Plus it relies on friction of the grub screw not to pull off. I guess you could drill a small hole for the grub screw to improve it.

The Vitmods look to use a rubber sleeve that I think would be more secure and robust.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2024 12:34 #257277 by RumbleAndSway
They push on [and include an O-ring]

The “quick-coupler” is then secured with Loctite on an M3 grub screw.

Crossed my mind to add a hose-clip to double-up on security but decided not too in case this put too much pressure on the QC.

Ensuring the breather pipes allow full suspension travel is obvious but worth reiterating.

The big win is no drilling or threading required.

More
22 Aug 2024 15:06 - 22 Aug 2024 15:06 #257278 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Axle breather extenders

They push on [and include an O-ring]

The “quick-coupler” is then secured with Loctite on an M3 grub screw.

Crossed my mind to add a hose-clip to double-up on security but decided not too in case this put too much pressure on the QC.

Ensuring the breather pipes allow full suspension travel is obvious but worth reiterating.

The big win is no drilling or threading required.

The way i see it is that if you get to put threads on it and really secure it, then that is the big win.
I would rate the jubilee clip and rubber hose just as high as the tiny M3 screw. 

Just remember to put grease on the drill bit and thread bit and a vacuum cleaner, to catch most of the metal shavings.

I just ordered the parts needed to use 6mm pneumatic hose (too thin?) and push on fiittings on ebay to make my own kit. I have thread making tools at work.
Martin had a similar kit here on the bigjimny shop before. 
Will have to see if standard parts can take the heat or crack over time. Generally i do not like to order stuff from china and will never recommend it to anyone. 
Industry standard pneumatic parts like Festo or Martonair or Parker would be great but cannot get those right now but maybe later if these parts work.

There is too much trouble and bad currency exchange rates when ordering stuff from the UK and elsewhere these days for some Putin reason.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 22 Aug 2024 15:06 by yakuza.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds