× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Axle breather extenders

More
19 Aug 2024 21:19 #257234 by 300bhpton
What axle breather extenders have people gone for? Any options that don’t require drilling? Thanks. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2024 21:42 #257235 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Axle breather extenders
I liked the look of the Des Sol breather kit, but they needed to check shipping costs to UK and I think they might have forgotten.

Perhaps if we buy two and get them shipped together it might be more cost effective and perhaps more interesting to them?

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
20 Aug 2024 01:38 #257236 by Luna
Replied by Luna on topic Axle breather extenders
I bought the ARB ones did had to drill whole to mount the screw.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Aug 2024 03:43 #257237 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Axle breather extenders
It used to be a thing to make a home brew version using garden hose and just screw clamping on the nubbin left once the floating cap was removed. They were slightly more maintenance intensive as they were less secure than a threaded connector but they were considered effective.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
20 Aug 2024 13:20 #257242 by DrRobin
This is the kit, I have been trying to buy

des-sol.co.za/product/differential-breather-kit/

It's a bit more expensive than some of the kits and a lot more than a bit of hosepipe, but I am going to spend a bit of time crawling under the car fitting it and I don't want one of the breathers to come and flood the diff, so think it is worth it.

I will email them again to see if they have a price for shipping, then there might be import duty to pay, I will let you know.

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

More
20 Aug 2024 13:50 #257243 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Axle breather extenders
I have had my eye on that kit as well

More
20 Aug 2024 15:08 #257246 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Axle breather extenders
I fitted the cheap Vitmods kit. Done a few lanes, maximum articulation, and they seem to be holding fine. Only fitted the axle lines as already had hosepipe on the gearbox!

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
20 Aug 2024 15:32 #257247 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Axle breather extenders

I fitted the cheap Vitmods kit. Done a few lanes, maximum articulation, and they seem to be holding fine. Only fitted the axle lines as already had hosepipe on the gearbox!
Do you have a link for this?

More
20 Aug 2024 15:34 - 20 Aug 2024 15:34 #257249 by 300bhpton

This is the kit, I have been trying to buy

des-sol.co.za/product/differential-breather-kit/

It's a bit more expensive than some of the kits and a lot more than a bit of hosepipe, but I am going to spend a bit of time crawling under the car fitting it and I don't want one of the breathers to come and flood the diff, so think it is worth it.

I will email them again to see if they have a price for shipping, then there might be import duty to pay, I will let you know.

Robin
I could be interested. More so for the alloy block to mount in the engine bay to keep it looking tidy.

Not sure their little adapters that use a grub screw would be any more secure than some fuel line and a jubilee clip though.

I tried to buy some bushes from Des Sol earlier this year and got nowhere sadly.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2024 15:34 by 300bhpton.

More
20 Aug 2024 16:51 #257250 by DrRobin
I have emailed them today and got a response. I asked about two kits in one delivery and I also like the look of their front recovery mounts so the parcel might be growing.

des-sol.co.za/product/gen4-recovery-points-front/

My main worry about DIY was fitting removing the top of the breathers and then fitting the hose, I don't want it to come off and thought that getting the kit has everything sorted for you, but agreed, the Des Sol kit is unlikely to be any more secure than a jubilee clip.

I am sort of thinking of taking the output in to the snorkel rather than an open pipe under the bonnet, it will just need a pipe fitting of some description and I can't see any downside of doing that.

me101 (Steve), The Vitmods kit says it is for Gen 3 and I am not sure if the Gen 4 is the same? Des Sol do two different kits, one for Gen 3 and one for Gen 4, but although the order code is different they look the same.

Soeley, I am happy to get a kit for you as well or if you want to wait and see how it goes and how much shipping and import duty is?

Robin

Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, 300bhpton

More
20 Aug 2024 18:44 #257253 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Axle breather extenders
Hi 300bhpton, can't seem to get the link to work, but just looked on ebay and he has a couple of kits left on £29. I just typed vitmods in the search bar and it brought up his stuff. To be fair, had a few bits off him over the years, still running the extended shocks. I bought black - think you can choose a couple of colours if he has them.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300bhpton

More
20 Aug 2024 19:04 #257254 by 300bhpton

I bought the ARB ones did had to drill whole to mount the screw.
How did you affix to the axle? Did you not have to drill and tap?

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds