BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Re:Jimny pulling to right

More
15 Sep 2021 14:06 - 15 Sep 2021 14:14 #238636 by lookonimages
My last post on this subject. Hope it could help someone in the future.

So the Jimny did go to Suzuki (one of major dealers is Cape Town.)
Was just told, sorry they cannot help me to reset the steering angle sensor or recalibrate it. Their computor apparently cannot do it. I will just leave that here and not comment further on suzuki ability to help me.

So I ended up going to the place in Cape Town that I received as referal from lift kit manufacturers. I did not even finish my explanation on arrival. The guy just said, dont worry, we know exactly the problem and we will fix it for you.

Procedure from my observation point where they were kind enough to allow me to watch.

1) they perform normal wheel alignment process.

2) they lock steering wheel in place (level) with metal bracket, (between steering wheel and seat) keeping steering wheel in place so that steering wheel cannot move.

3) then adjust the steering rack rod on the alignment machine so steering rack is also correct.

4) they remove the steering wheel bracket that was holding steering wheel in place. They do not move steering wheel at all.

5) while the vehicle is still on alignment machine, (the vehicle is not to be moved according to them), they plug in their computer and while steering wheel still level, they recalibrate the steering angle sensor.

6) unplug their computor once successfully calibrated and then they took it for a test drive. Whalla, thats it.

Total time : was about 30 minutes and cost about 25 pounds (South African Rand converted to Pound).

Steering wheel perfect level.
Drive like the day we received it brand new
No pull at all.
Very very happy customer..!

Some Notes from the guy who did it:
He said it seems to be some quirk that some odd suzuki jimnies it happen that for some odd reason, the moment you make suspension changes, the steering angle sensor (SAS) value do change radically, introducing the steering wheel to be no more level and sitting rather skew as in my case. It was through a lot of trail and error, that they finally found the sequence of events of things to do, to get steering wheel level again.

They have found scenarios also with non lifted jimny or two, that the moment they have it on alignment machine after a set of larger tyres and they start adjusting for alignment, the SAS "go out" and have to be recalibrated.

Dont ask me technic details, i cannot answer you, I can just say what they say and that there seems to be some inconsistency of it happening.

I just observed and happy to report that steering wheel is level again.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 15 Sep 2021 14:14 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2021 14:21 #238637 by Dirtbird
Delighted for you lad. I know the feeling when you think all is lost and some good people get it sorted. Great and great write-up.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
27 Dec 2021 06:08 #240810 by HFPE

lookonimages wrote: My last post on this subject. Hope it could help someone in the future.

So the Jimny did go to Suzuki (one of major dealers is Cape Town.)
Was just told, sorry they cannot help me to reset the steering angle sensor or recalibrate it. Their computor apparently cannot do it. I will just leave that here and not comment further on suzuki ability to help me.

So I ended up going to the place in Cape Town that I received as referal from lift kit manufacturers. I did not even finish my explanation on arrival. The guy just said, dont worry, we know exactly the problem and we will fix it for you.

Procedure from my observation point where they were kind enough to allow me to watch.

1) they perform normal wheel alignment process.

2) they lock steering wheel in place (level) with metal bracket, (between steering wheel and seat) keeping steering wheel in place so that steering wheel cannot move.

3) then adjust the steering rack rod on the alignment machine so steering rack is also correct.

4) they remove the steering wheel bracket that was holding steering wheel in place. They do not move steering wheel at all.

5) while the vehicle is still on alignment machine, (the vehicle is not to be moved according to them), they plug in their computer and while steering wheel still level, they recalibrate the steering angle sensor.

6) unplug their computor once successfully calibrated and then they took it for a test drive. Whalla, thats it.

Total time : was about 30 minutes and cost about 25 pounds (South African Rand converted to Pound).

Steering wheel perfect level.
Drive like the day we received it brand new
No pull at all.
Very very happy customer..!

Some Notes from the guy who did it:
He said it seems to be some quirk that some odd suzuki jimnies it happen that for some odd reason, the moment you make suspension changes, the steering angle sensor (SAS) value do change radically, introducing the steering wheel to be no more level and sitting rather skew as in my case. It was through a lot of trail and error, that they finally found the sequence of events of things to do, to get steering wheel level again.

They have found scenarios also with non lifted jimny or two, that the moment they have it on alignment machine after a set of larger tyres and they start adjusting for alignment, the SAS "go out" and have to be recalibrated.

Dont ask me technic details, i cannot answer you, I can just say what they say and that there seems to be some inconsistency of it happening.

I just observed and happy to report that steering wheel is level again.

Would you be able to DM the name of the place in Cape Town that helped you? Think we need their services.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

More
27 Dec 2021 08:15 #240811 by lookonimages
I have send you a message.

More
15 Jan 2022 10:25 #241162 by HFPE
Thanks to your help and pointing us in the right direction we have also sorted our issue out, we made a video about the issue and the solution which may help someone else.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
15 Jan 2022 18:51 #241173 by lookonimages

HFPE wrote: Thanks to your help and pointing us in the right direction we have also sorted our issue out, we made a video about the issue and the solution which may help someone else.

brilliant. your video explaining the issue and the correction is very well illustrated.

nice job.

The following user(s) said Thank You: HFPE

More
31 Mar 2024 16:26 - 01 Apr 2024 10:50 #255304 by lookonimages
Lifted jimny gen4 and skew steering wheel afterwards.

This South African company have written a block post of steps. They are known here for their 50mm lift kits.

Cruicial use a wheel baĺansers/alignment spesialist that ungerstand electronic steering and have the obd2 tool to correct the stèring wheeĺ angle sensor percentage.

Hundreds of jimny attested that this is the only way to alighn skew steering wheel after a 50 mm lift, to bring the vehicle steering wheel back straight in SA

The electric steering component at the steering wheel value have to be corrected with an obd2 scanner writer.

des-sol.co.za/addressing-steering-wheel-...n-your-lifted-jimny/
Last edit: 01 Apr 2024 10:50 by lookonimages.

More
31 Mar 2024 16:38 - 01 Apr 2024 10:52 #255305 by lookonimages
Whe have huge numbers of lifted jimnies and this is the only way to get steering wheel back to sqaure

On The SA jimny there are definately an electronic component at play that move steering wheel to a certain point.
You can change the panhard rods etc etc just the way you want. Steering wheel go to postion in memory and that electronic correction is cardinal important to overwrite the steering wheel sensor value with a omd2 computer.

We have this sorrted out to a T. Work evertime. Actually a rather fast process. If you have a guy doing wheel balance on elektric steering cars, the steps will be extremely easy to follow. perform.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2024 10:52 by lookonimages.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds