× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Re:Jimny pulling to right

More
06 Sep 2021 08:35 - 06 Sep 2021 08:36 #238269 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Jimny pulling to right
I'm sure when I fitted my OME 40mm lift the steering went off centre anticlockwise (RHD also). But not as much has yours has moved, that maybe the 10mm difference in lift though.  But I would have thought it would have gone in the same direction? Mine is correct now as I adjusted it as per Martins video. I 
I did adjust it too much at first and that did seem to make it pull to the right, but backed off the drag link a bit and the steering wheel is almost perfectly straight and no pulling. I haven't bothered trying to get it absolutely spot on as it would be such a small adjustment I would probably end up going too far again.

@lambert the power steering is electric .
Last edit: 06 Sep 2021 08:36 by Soeley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, lookonimages

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Sep 2021 09:29 #238271 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny pulling to right
Thanks mate. So it being electric there more than a chance that it knows where centre should be and it's attempting to maintain that position. It will probably have some feedback sensors which may be confused and need recalibration or something like that. Either way it's sounding like a controller issue rather than an alignment issue. Might be worth having a comprehensive code reading session see if anything thinks it's unhappy.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lookonimages

More
06 Sep 2021 10:32 #238275 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Jimny pulling to right
Totally get what you are saying with sensors, but wouldn't you think it would cause problems when the initial lift is installed and the steering wheel is thrown off centre. Adjusting the drag link to recentre should solve any errors? 
My simple thought process on it. 

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Sep 2021 11:30 #238276 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny pulling to right
I would have thought so too but evidently not in this case. Hence suggesting a deep dive into the obd2 system to see if anything is out of whack. I have just had warranty repair on leviathan for a steering sensor, fortunately it wasn't doing anything weird unlike the one here.

More
06 Sep 2021 12:16 #238280 by lookonimages

Lambert wrote: Thanks mate. So it being electric there more than a chance that it knows where centre should be and it's attempting to maintain that position. It will probably have some feedback sensors which may be confused and need recalibration or something like that. Either way it's sounding like a controller issue rather than an alignment issue. Might be worth having a comprehensive code reading session see if anything thinks it's unhappy.

Lambert, yes. I will take it back to the steering specilist in cape town, but that will be only next week some time when I go to Cape Town again.

When they had it hooked up last week to their computor it showed the parameters is in line with suzuki (but that is parameters for standard Jimny) he showed the data reader screen data to me, but I guess it is correct set to "standard" position. Maybe they need to adjust the "standard" parameters to now correct for the lift and thus correct the steering wheel.

Their is something that move the steering wheel to a specific position the moment the wheels starting to rotate.

So on the steering data reader and electronic settings, i will only be able to give feedback next week then. But there sure is some setting for that "rest" position, I am pretty sure now.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
06 Sep 2021 15:21 - 06 Sep 2021 15:31 #238285 by lookonimages
Ok so in mean time I have Googled this more focusing on steering sensor.

So it seems the steering angle sensor position can be set / recalibrate for electric steering assist systems - if you have to tools. :)

Nit much on Jimny's but lots on other cars that have had this technology for much longer.

The guy in Capetown have simmilar diagnostics tool (tablet type) as in video below so maybe we can be lucky next week.

Google "steering angle sensor position"

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk
Last edit: 06 Sep 2021 15:31 by lookonimages.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Sep 2021 15:58 #238287 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Jimny pulling to right
That's the kinda thing I was thinking.

• Dirtbird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2021 11:02 #238343 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Jimny pulling to right
Yeah, I was wondering could it be the power steering - I had a Hilux that gave me weeks of steering problems wasn't until I looked at the power steering box that I realized it was slightly loose. I knew the previous owner and asked him and he told me he had reinstalled a secondhand power steering box (I discovered he had not tightened up the bolts fully ) Hence the poor steering...
I think my self the power steering is your problem.

More
08 Sep 2021 13:46 - 08 Sep 2021 13:48 #238347 by lookonimages

Dirtbird wrote: Yeah, I was wondering could it be the power steering - I had a Hilux that gave me weeks of steering problems wasn't until I looked at the power steering box that I realized it was slightly loose. I knew the previous owner and asked him and he told me he had reinstalled a secondhand power steering box (I discovered he had not tightened up the bolts fully ) Hence the poor steering...

No it is not steering box related.

Vehicle was all of today at power steering place. Vehicle run perfect straight now albeit the steering wheel still have a 5-10 degree slight offcentre. They have been able to remove most of "off centre" position.

I decided to live with that. Nough money spend to try and get it "perfect"

When it goes for next service at suzuki, i will ask them to check it, maybe they can set the default resting place of the steering sensors or inspect the steering sensors itself.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2021 13:48 by lookonimages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

• Dirtbird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2021 15:37 #238351 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Re:Jimny pulling to right

Dirtbird wrote: Yeah, I was wondering could it be the power steering - I had a Hilux that gave me weeks of steering problems wasn't until I looked at the power steering box that I realized it was slightly loose. I knew the previous owner and asked him and he told me he had reinstalled a secondhand power steering box (I discovered he had not tightened up the bolts fully ) Hence the poor steering...

No it is not steering box related.

Vehicle was all of today at power steering place. Vehicle run perfect straight now albeit the steering wheel still have a 5-10 degree slight offcentre. They have been able to remove most of "off centre" position.

I decided to live with that. Nough money spend to try and get it "perfect"

When it goes for next service at suzuki, i will ask them to check it, maybe they can set the default resting place of the steering sensors or inspect the steering sensors itself.
Ok well i think its the kind of thing your just going to forget about after a while , Id be happy with a Jimny to drive right now , any condition and any varient. . But youve got it sorted the main thing really. 

More
09 Sep 2021 18:02 #238402 by HFPE
Replied by HFPE on topic Re:Re:Jimny pulling to right
Have seen talk of resetting/calibrating magnets in the power steering via obd? Not sure if this might be the issue.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

• Dirtbird
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2021 18:21 #238403 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Re:Re:Jimny pulling to right
yeah thought you could do something like that.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds