BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Gen4 Snorkel

More
01 Jan 2023 14:12 - 01 Jan 2023 14:12 #246617 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Just been out for a quick drive round.

It sounds nice when you stand with your ear next to the head. Sounds like an exhaust rumble. 

Driving wise I couldn't say if it has altered low end torque or pulling away speed. Didn't feel any different to me in that respect. 

At certain rpm/load I did get the acoustic vibration and felt it through the accelerator pedal. But I will have to go for more than a 10 minute drive to find out more.

Plenty of clearance between snorkel and door edge on mine.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2023 14:12 by Soeley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2023 18:33 - 07 Jan 2023 18:35 #246751 by Soeley
Today I went for a drive with the Head reversed as much as it would (doesn't quite rotate 180o ). It didn't make any difference to the harmonic vibration, however with the window open, you can really hear the induction noise. Sounds great until the vibrations start, it's like an exhaust rumble only you can hear!

I did wonder if this vibration was a trade off with not having the snorkel fastened to the A-post. Whilst going up hill and the vibration/noise present i grabbed the snorkel through the open window to see if I could feel it vibrating. I could not, so I don't think it's a hardware mounting issue, it must be the harmonic vibration with the snorkel if that makes sense? 
Last edit: 07 Jan 2023 18:35 by Soeley.

More
07 Jan 2023 22:45 #246753 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Is it possible it's the flexible pipe as it's just appears to be resting on top of the engine?
If it is just resting may be worth trying a few cable ties to hold it tight and stop it moving, see if it makes any difference.
just going off pictures, hard to tell.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
08 Jan 2023 08:55 #246757 by Soeley
Thanks for the suggestion. The flexi pipe is secured by one cable tie, a bracket is supplied for this purpose.

Attachments:

More
08 Jan 2023 10:33 #246758 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New Gen4 Snorkel
One option would be to get some exhaust wadding and insert it into the tube (making sure it cannot be sucked into the engine). This would de-tune the intake.

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
08 Jan 2023 10:50 #246760 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
I think the vibration is a natural result of the flexi. hose fluttering with the movement of air and the engine in the engine bay. I don't think that the flexi hose supplied will ever be the answer. The original hose is heavy section rubber with suitable flexibility for bending purposes. I believe that the strange device that plugs into the end breaks down the natural harmonics created by the movement of air that is being disrupted as it passes through the corrugated section of the hose. I mentioned previously that a pipe made from pvc gutter downpipe which could be assembled from straight sections with suitable bends could replace the flexi pipe and could be fabricated to include the original harmonic device.
Or.
The connection to the air box is via the original entry which is at the front of the box. Could a new entry at the rear of the box be fabricated? This would dramatically reduce the length of hose/pipe required and you may even be able to reuse the original rubber hose complete with harmonic damper.

Roger

More
08 Jan 2023 12:16 #246761 by Roger Fairclough
Scrub my second suggestion, the air outlet gets in the way. That leaves PVC guttering downpipe. This is available in round or square, both approx. 65mm. Both of these pipes will flow appreciably more air than the Suzuki original so if you can find a supply of smaller diameter pipe then you may find it easier to fit the space available. The square pipe can be had with adaptors to fit round pipe.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
08 Jan 2023 15:05 #246764 by Soeley
I was going to say, there is no room at the back of the airbox.

I have a couple more things to try next, will keep you posted.

More
10 Jan 2023 19:45 - 10 Jan 2023 19:48 #246808 by Soeley
So tonight on my way to Morrisons, I removed the convoluted pipe from the bottom of the snorkel and just left tucked in by the battery. The harmonic vibration did not occur,  it had gone away. This still leaves two possibilities:
  1. It is the harmonics within the snorkel itself causing the noise and not the pipe.
  2. The noise is caused within the pipe and the snorkel just amplifies it like a gramophone horn.
At the moment I am swayed towards N⁰1. I think if it was the pipe, I would still hear it, but somewhat muted by the bulkhead. 

I am beginning to think it could be the shape at the base of the snorkel, the way the airflow is split at the base? Just a theory?

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2023 19:48 by Soeley.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jan 2023 20:31 #246810 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
How thick is the wall section of the flexible pipe? I know it's supposed to be flexible by nature but it looks like it would begin to resonate with the intake without too much effort. I might suggest looking at a suitable diameter piece of twin wall conduit as it will take a fairly tight bend but it's smooth inside and quite rigid for what it is.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Jan 2023 20:52 #246811 by Roger Fairclough
That kinky bend at the base of the snorkel will do you no favours. Any bend that creates very sharp kinks with variable cross sectional areas will create buffeting and that means noise. Combine that with the very basic flexi. hose and noise is inevitable. I used 75 mm bore twin wall flexi. to join my 3 way air valve that enabled me to use air from the passenger compartment when I needed a snorkel. The rest of the time air was drawn in from the double skinned wing panel. This was on my LC. You could try a suitably sized twin wall flexi. It will certainly be better that what you have. There is a dealer in Redditch who supplied me and I could have a look to see what he has to offer if my idea seems ok to you.

Roger

More
10 Jan 2023 21:08 #246812 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
I am also suspicious of the flexible pipe. Is it possible the shape at the bottom of the intake pipe is a restriction, this is causing the flexible pipe to contract/expand like an accordion. You see this effect it you block the flexible pipe on a vacuum cleaner.
Maybe try a few extra fixings to stop it contacting or fit a small camera under the bonnet and film it, see what's happening.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds