BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Gen4 Snorkel

More
10 Jan 2023 21:10 #246813 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Thanks for the offer Roger, very kind. I will keep you in mind, but will see if I can find any locally.

I will have a measure up at what diameter pipe is needed and see if I can come up with something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2023 21:16 #246814 by Soeley

How thick is the wall section of the flexible pipe? I know it's supposed to be flexible by nature but it looks like it would begin to resonate with the intake without too much effort. I might suggest looking at a suitable diameter piece of twin wall conduit as it will take a fairly tight bend but it's smooth inside and quite rigid for what it is.
Not sure how thick it is tbh, didn't pay too much attention to the thickness. Maybe as a cheap try out i could try wrapping the pipe and adding some securing points to rule out the pipe itself resonating?

More
10 Jan 2023 21:40 - 10 Jan 2023 21:44 #246815 by Soeley
A quick point on fitment and 300bhpton's door rubbing. Looking back through this thread I noticed the difference in the holes we had to drill for the riv-nut.

You can see on this one how close it is to the existing square hole.

Where mine is further towards the front.

This is something out of our control as it is determined buy the fitting of a bolt in rear most existing wing bolt hole and using the snorkel as a template.
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jan 2023 21:44 by Soeley.

More
15 Jan 2023 13:11 - 15 Jan 2023 13:12 #246912 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Harmonics is is some kind of (black) magic. If what you describe is the result of a standing wave then spoiling it might help. One easy way might be to put a rectangular baffle into the vertical part of the snorkel that sits axial, just jams a little, and can withstand the air flow. This would be easily removable and will change the harmonics of the long circular pipe.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2023 13:12 by RainerK.

More
15 Jan 2023 13:51 - 15 Jan 2023 13:52 #246914 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
My first suggestion would be to ask the manufacturer/supplier if this is a known problem?

I might have missed something but does 300BHP have the same snorkel and his doesn’t vibrate? If so check to see what is different.

As RainerK says, it’s a black art, think of an acoustic guitar, it’s the string that vibrates when plucked, but it is the wooden body that we hear the sound from. The snorkel it’s self is probably just amplifying the sound rather than generating it.

In your case there isn’t a pluck but a series of small vibrations which when the structure hits resonance can be heard and felt.

The small vibrations might come from the air moving through the system, it is taken in pulses or might just be from the engine. If it’s from the air, the air box and filter should dampen them, so it might be from the engine.

You could try re-routing the flexi pipe, possibly rubber mount it and put more fixing points, anything to change the resonant frequency.

Robin

2020 blue SZ5 (one of the last to be registered in the UK)
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 15 Jan 2023 13:52 by DrRobin.

More
15 Jan 2023 17:26 #246918 by Soeley
DrRobin, 300bhpton did report the same issue, only I think his could be worse than mine going off his description? I also think he did contact Bravo, which I should do, just being lazy at the moment. I'll put it on my to do list ;)

More
15 Jan 2023 18:30 - 15 Jan 2023 18:36 #246919 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New Gen4 Snorkel
I know it has been mentioned before but the gen4 has this "empty" box in the inlet pipe next to the air box. As it is empty and is called the "resonator no3." in the parts manual, I would suggest you explore further in this area as the bravo snorkel removes this. ( I looked for resonator no1 or 2 but nothing is listed)

I would reckon you could add it back in.

Sent from my moto g42 using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 15 Jan 2023 18:36 by mlines.

More
15 Jan 2023 18:40 - 15 Jan 2023 18:41 #246920 by mlines
Tell a lie

There is:

Resonator, No 3 - Jimny
Resonator, No 2 - Grand Vitara
Resonator, No 1 - Liana

All positioned in similar positions just in front of the airbox

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Last edit: 15 Jan 2023 18:41 by mlines.

More
15 Jan 2023 19:06 #246921 by Soeley
I did look at the "empty box" and think it must be something like that. But trying to fit that withing the flexi-pipe and getting a good seal will be nigh impposible. If the pipe can be replaced with something solid, the you will have a much better chance.

Just writing an email to Bravo now.

More
15 Jan 2023 20:10 - 15 Jan 2023 21:12 #246922 by 300bhpton
Just catching up on this thread, sadly have been ill since Christmas Eve... :(

I did try reversing the head on my snorkel, as you can see you can't quite fully reverse it, but it does work fine like this.

It has no impact to the resonation noise being made, however if you open the window and induce the noise you can clearly hear it is induction noise, with the window up it does however sound far more fog horn and intense like.

In terms of the cause. I suspect this engine must have a harmonic trait as the factory ducting contains a baffle/resonator box (as Martin lists above). The tube also has some hole in it too, which must be there for harmonic tuning.

A test I'd like to run is to have no ducting to the airbox at and see what results.

My hunch however, the flexible ducting on the Bravo snorkel is not the issue or source. I suspect it must fully be the internal chamber of the snorkel, which is either amplifying an existing noise or more than likely producing the noise and amplifying it. I will await Bravo's reply before attempting any real fix. As I do not see how it cannot be an issue on every single snorkel they have sold for the Gen 4 Jimny.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2023 21:12 by 300bhpton.

More
15 Jan 2023 20:20 #246923 by mlines
Those holes are the water drains according to the Brazilian snorkel instructions. The Brazilian snorkel kit provides a blanking plate for those holes and a duck billed drain valve so that the entire tube is sealed

Martin

More
15 Jan 2023 20:36 #246924 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Re:New Gen4 Snorkel

Those holes are the water drains according to the Brazilian snorkel instructions. The Brazilian snorkel kit provides a blanking plate for those holes and a duck billed drain valve so that the entire tube is sealed

Interesting, although I'd suggest that maybe they are multifunctional. But I can't see their prime function being water drain holes, as they'd need to be on the lowest point or in some kind of vee. Under moving airflow water would be unlikely to collect or drip out of the holes as air will be being sucked in through them.

As they are located next to a tuning baffle/resonator, I'd guess they are very much part of the harmonic tuning. Bit like the finger holes on a recorder or Irish whistle.

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds