BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Gen4 Snorkel

More
03 Feb 2023 10:33 #247330 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Soeley, have you heard anything more from Bravo Snorkels? I think they'd said to you about some prototype 3D printed pipes.

They seemed very responsive a few weeks back, but I've emailed them a couple of times now and heard nothing back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2023 11:21 #247332 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Funny you should ask that today, I only emailed them back last night with my latest update. I did ask about the EPDM pipe, so will see if they respond.

More
03 Feb 2023 13:46 #247335 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Just a thought, but assembling the main body with a gutter mastic or RTV sealant may help to dampen down any vibration.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
05 Mar 2023 14:38 #247902 by 300bhpton
Thought I'd give an update. About 10 days ago Bravo Snorkels sent me through some 3d printed pipework, they also sent an entire new snorkel too.

Quite impressed with the level of service, which really deserves a shout out.

I was away last weekend, so didn't get chance to try and fit this until yesterday.

Pretty easy swap over, although it meant removing the bonnet.

On face value the new snorkel looks very much like the old one.

Note the old one has the metal bracket still attached. No new bracket supplied, so it needs swapping over.

(new one on the left)

However the must be something different. The original just fouled the door and required some trimming, the new one doesn't.

The old one would also make a small tapping sound from underneath if you pushed the front up and down, the new one doesn't. I did leave the small piece of rubber in place I had installed previously.

The new pipe work is a 2 piece affair and much more rigid, so you don't really have much say on where it goes. It seems to sit a little higher (away from the small bracket the original pipework was cabled tided too and overall higher towards the bonnet.

It also seems to sit over the brake reservoir a little more, not sure if this was intentional or not.

But maybe this is why it is 2 piece? To allow you to remove one section for access? Although in fairness, adding brake fluid should be a rare activity.

But despite it looking like it sits higher, the bonnet still shuts perfectly fine.

I did note while the bonnet was off that the hinge hits the top of the snorkel:

But I'm unsure if it does this with the bonnet on, as obviously the bonnet catch dictates how far the hinge drops.

The good news however is, it has 99.9% (maybe even 100%) cured the noise that was the main issue. So very pleased on this front.

I do still think there is harshness (vibration) through the pedals however. Especially at around 3000rpm and between 3000-4000rpm. You can sort of feel your foot buzzing while sat at 60-65mph. And the same with the brake pedal, if you coast/engine brake through this rpm range you can feel the vibration in the brake pedal.

Overall though, I'd say we are 90% of the way there. I'll see about fitting some rubber foam on top of the snorkel below the hinge and maybe something under the main part of the snorkel too.

Another shout out to Bravo. They have even offered to meet me as they have someone in Oxford in a couple of weeks.

More
05 Mar 2023 17:32 #247907 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:New Gen4 Snorkel

300bhpton wrote: Thought I'd give an update. About 10 days ago Bravo Snorkels sent me through some 3d printed pipework, they also sent an entire new snorkel too.

Quite impressed with the level of service, which really deserves a shout out.

I was away last weekend, so didn't get chance to try and fit this until yesterday.

Pretty easy swap over, although it meant removing the bonnet.

On face value the new snorkel looks very much like the old one.

Note the old one has the metal bracket still attached. No new bracket supplied, so it needs swapping over.

(new one on the left)

However the must be something different. The original just fouled the door and required some trimming, the new one doesn't.

The old one would also make a small tapping sound from underneath if you pushed the front up and down, the new one doesn't. I did leave the small piece of rubber in place I had installed previously.

The new pipe work is a 2 piece affair and much more rigid, so you don't really have much say on where it goes. It seems to sit a little higher (away from the small bracket the original pipework was cabled tided too and overall higher towards the bonnet.

It also seems to sit over the brake reservoir a little more, not sure if this was intentional or not.

But maybe this is why it is 2 piece? To allow you to remove one section for access? Although in fairness, adding brake fluid should be a rare activity.

But despite it looking like it sits higher, the bonnet still shuts perfectly fine.

I did note while the bonnet was off that the hinge hits the top of the snorkel:

But I'm unsure if it does this with the bonnet on, as obviously the bonnet catch dictates how far the hinge drops.

The good news however is, it has 99.9% (maybe even 100%) cured the noise that was the main issue. So very pleased on this front.

I do still think there is harshness (vibration) through the pedals however. Especially at around 3000rpm and between 3000-4000rpm. You can sort of feel your foot buzzing while sat at 60-65mph. And the same with the brake pedal, if you coast/engine brake through this rpm range you can feel the vibration in the brake pedal.

Overall though, I'd say we are 90% of the way there. I'll see about fitting some rubber foam on top of the snorkel below the hinge and maybe something under the main part of the snorkel too.

Another shout out to Bravo. They have even offered to meet me as they have someone in Oxford in a couple of weeks.

Thank for sharing the positive action from supplier

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
22 Mar 2023 16:00 - 22 Mar 2023 16:01 #248168 by 300bhpton
Some more updates.

I met up with Saludos from Bravo Snorkels while he was in the UK recently.

Being a Spanish company, exposure to RHD vehicles is probably a bit more challenging for them.

He was very pleasant and interesting to talk too. And has used a rather funky handheld scanner to map the engine bay and snorkel. They will merge this with their other scans and look to be updating the pipework for the snorkel as well as I believe using a different material for the snorkel itself.

I assume this process will take a while. So I'll report back when I have something more to share.

For now I'm impressed with the company and their dedication to their customers and products. I really can't fault the service. Hopefully this will also enable them to fully solve the vibration issues.

In the meantime I've reverted to using the original ducting rather than the 3D printed pipes. As the 3D pipes had started to rub the inside of the bonnet.

The original ducting has slightly less vibration through the pedals, although it is still there. But there is more noise with wide open throttle.

Last edit: 22 Mar 2023 16:01 by 300bhpton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, lookonimages

More
22 Mar 2023 20:00 #248178 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
I thought someone had been shooting at you when I saw the first picture 

More
23 Mar 2023 20:41 #248195 by lookonimages
Replied by lookonimages on topic Re:New Gen4 Snorkel
Appreciate your continuous feedback on this issue

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
21 May 2023 10:24 #249206 by Raijinjb74
Replied by Raijinjb74 on topic New Gen4 Snorkel
Hi 300BHP, its me from youtube, thanks so much for this link, so i can understand more on the problem.
Have you actually fixed them 100% or has bravo have any newest update on the fix?

Thank you

Randy

More
11 Nov 2023 16:48 #252078 by 300bhpton
A few updates to add.

Bravo sent me another snorkel to try. They have been very good. This is now the 3rd snorkel. It is made from thicker material.

They wanted me to revert to using the original pipe work:

Sad to say this made an horrendous droning foghorn noise. So I did some experimenting.

Still lots of foghorn style drone, but not quite as bad.....

No hose at all, but snorkel still on the vehicle. No drone or vibrations at all. Eh, what's going on here then?

Hybrid mix of the original concertina pipe and the lower prototype pipe Bravo sent me earlier in the year. This combo was terrible with loads of vibrations, very loud intake noise and some drone. But very different to running just the concertina pipe.

So back to the prototype pipes I had been running. This setup is the best the snorkel has been yet. No vibrations of any note and no drone. Only downer is the small bit of paint the rough 3D printed hose has rubbed off on the inner bonnet edge and the fact it covers the brake reservoir cap. However, I can happily live with the snorkel in this guise. Although I will probably replace the upper 3D printed pipe with a silicon section to stop it rubbing the paint and hopefully clear the reservoir cap better.

I have fed this all back to Bravo Snorkels.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds