BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Tread Lightly

More
18 Apr 2020 12:33 #221201 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Tread Lightly
WOW :woohoo:

So they’ve fitted you a temporary pickup bed?

Super fellas you’ve found there Sniper!!! B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2020 12:35 #221202 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Tread Lightly
Sorry, the picture is a library picture Dave, just as an example...... not being done until next week...

sniper

More
26 Apr 2020 10:55 #221517 by sniper
Arches are looking good..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think I can see them on, trimmed to width and the leading edge cut short then shaped around the sill profile. Finishing high (like the picture) at the back, with 4mm flaps covering the tread.

I think they would look cool frenched in to the spare wheel, almost wide enough to cover both edges of the tank and the filler pipes. But that is a job for another time.

The spare wheel will lay flat, above the tank (like a 5th wheel) on a bar constructed similar to a strut brace, between the spring top mounts.

Hopefully back in use soon...

Then the front cage when the lockdown is finished, not so bad having to wait. There are a number of builds underway and waiting to see how they turn out may give me some ideas..... I may even go to an internal front cage that links through rear cab wall to the external hoop. That would give me door bars, which I am keen on.

sniper
(sorry about the picture, try as I might, I couldn't rotate it..... Adds to how daft it looks though lol)
Attachments:

More
28 Apr 2020 16:02 #221606 by sniper
Transport problems have delayed the cage til this week but I have at least seen a picture.....

The only change will be mounting the rear tray a little lower..... Hopefully to line up with the top of the spare.

sniper
Attachments:

More
15 May 2020 16:10 #222277 by sniper
Been down to the workshop to see the car and answer a couple of questions about bar heights and so on, felt a bit of a lemon in my face mask and gloves, but that's how it has to be....

My last involvement in motorsport was over 15yrs ago and it was 38mm tube in cages... I think... Now 45mm tube, it's going to look very chunky....

I forgot to take pictures today but the rear braces are in and the "tray" tube height has been set.

Reece is notching by hand and he's making each joint as perfect a fit up as he can. Much more patience than I would display, but then I'm a welder or was anyway. I would weld my way out of a poor fit up, where as Reece is making the welding easy by having a quality fit up.

So frustrating, I couldn't even hold a tube while it was tacked in place because of my pacemaker. Reece asked if I was ok with the standard of welding and I explained that whilst it is fine and more than fit for purpose, I wish I was doing it myself.... Twenty years as a 6G coded pipe welder, I would hope that my welds would be a bit prettier... but no more effective.

Nice to spend a bit of time with the guys, the first people I have been close enough to speak with, in two months.

Should have the back end done in a few days and it will be back on the road.....

sniper
Attachments:

More
15 May 2020 16:47 #222278 by sniper
Reece has just sent these over.... you can see what I mean about the notching.....

The rear chassis legs will be cut short to just after the tube mounts, then be joined across the back of the car and recovery points mounted. Terry is sourcing a much smaller silencer which will fit in the reduced opening.

sniper
Attachments:

More
15 May 2020 19:04 #222282 by sniper
Today's visit was worth the effort and feeling a bit of a knob in PPE. More pictures of Reece's perfect set up's first.... It's the first cage that they have fitted and you can tell, by no means in a negative way..... They are taking too much care to do it seriously lol, they'd never make any money....

Now what was achieved this afternoon.

Chuffed to bits....
( I haven't told Reece about the weld test that he has got to do..... To have the cage accredited, the installer must prove his competency (weld test) and compliance to blue book needs to be verified (by MSUK insp). He'll have a few months to practice, the front won't go on for a while....)

sniper
Attachments:

More
15 May 2020 19:23 #222284 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Tread Lightly
Looking great Sniper! B)

Nice notching (fish-mouthing) too!! :woohoo:

It’s going to look fantastic!...

Dave ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
15 May 2020 19:49 #222286 by sniper

X8GGY wrote: Looking great Sniper! B)

Nice notching (fish-mouthing) too!! :woohoo:

It’s going to look fantastic!...

Dave ;)

Thanks Dave, means a lot from an experienced hand like yourself. :)

More
15 May 2020 20:14 #222288 by sniper
Luckily for Reece, we can show that the cage was welded off the car and he will only need to qualify in "flat rotated".... 2G in ASME if I remember correctly... I have had a couple of rums so it could be 46G for all the use my memory is..... no uphill or overhead, 9pm past midnight to 3pm...

No pressure Reece....... not a full coding just a BSI standard.....

sniper

More
15 May 2020 20:45 #222290 by sniper
Just remembered that I need material compliance certification from WKD. I'll send them a request tomorrow.

sniper

More
15 May 2020 22:49 #222292 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Tread Lightly
B) Looks mint Pal
Get the proton savvy centre section
looks good and not to much braapp
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds