BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

More
16 Aug 2021 19:13 #237611 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Ulysses
No worries Riccy, always happy to help! ;)

I'd had a day in the garage, and was in the shower when Brett rang (yes, with my beloved Stella of course), so I rang him back to see what was wrong, donned my scruffs again and prepped the garage / equipment for your arrival...

Anytime mate... B)

You owe me? Ok, I'll take that.... breakfast next time we're out together, hopefully soon... September maybe? If there's space on the trip... Alan is itching to come on that one too as he drew the (original) route... (probably before Brett added stuff to it! ;) )

Cheers! Dave 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
21 Aug 2021 15:41 #237757 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Finished off the panhard repair today. Used some of Dave's patent CAD to make a template for the drop to the bar and cut it out in the remainder of the steel box section Dave gave me (yes he even gave me the metal to fix it!)

Quick test fit and measure to check its in the right place and has the correct angle of dangle

Then out with the welder to burn through some mig wire stitching the two bits together and onto the chassis. Ive welded up inside it as well as outside then all round the plate onto the chassis and spring mount. Nice and strong now.

Then gunk it all up with Buzzweld CIO black

That paint dries really quickly so within an hour it was dry enough to put back on and go for a test drive. Steering wheel isnt centred so that means I need to adjust the bar a little, but what a difference. It must have slowly being going wrong for a while, now the steering is pin sharp :-) 

Pleased with that so I treated myself to fitting the new shafts from Brett for the floating rear conversion. Easy enough. All I needed to do was undo the 6 bolts holding the vac hub to the axle and pull out/pop in the new shafts. 20 mins max job. Love that floating rear setup, so easy to work on 

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY, sniper

More
21 Aug 2021 15:47 #237758 by Dirtbird
Replied by Dirtbird on topic Ulysses
Looks good riccy

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Aug 2021 16:49 #237763 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
Yay, back to business!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Aug 2021 17:36 #237765 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses
Such a tidy job, almost a shame to paint it....

sniper

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
21 Aug 2021 18:44 #237766 by Riccy
Thanks guys, hopefully it'll last another 15 years!

John/Sniper - its not as tidy as I would like mate. I've been eyeing up some better welding machines and it would certainly help. When I was bodge welding it at Dave's with the 'proper' welder he has, it was miles easier to lay a bead with that machine. It was almost on the lowest setting to get something I could use for my rusty old Jimny and the gas flow was far superior. Time to look for a better welder methinks 

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

More
21 Aug 2021 19:03 #237767 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Ulysses

John/Sniper - its not as tidy as I would like mate. I've been eyeing up some better welding machines and it would certainly help. When I was bodge welding it at Dave's with the 'proper' welder he has, it was miles easier to lay a bead with that machine. It was almost on the lowest setting to get something I could use for my rusty old Jimny and the gas flow was far superior. Time to look for a better welder methinks 
Let me know when you have a budget in mind and what power supply you have, I still have a few friends in the game and an old commercial set would be better than a new hobby sized machine...  Twin roller wire feed as a minimum...

sniper

More
21 Aug 2021 19:51 #237768 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Ulysses
Nice job !

More
21 Aug 2021 21:23 #237771 by Dirtbird

Let me know when you have a budget in mind and what power supply you have, I still have a few friends in the game and an old commercial set would be better than a new hobby sized machine...  Twin roller wire feed as a minimum...

sniper

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
22 Aug 2021 10:17 #237776 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Ulysses

Finished off the panhard repair today. Used some of Dave's patent CAD to make a template for the drop to the bar and cut it out in the remainder of the steel box section Dave gave me (yes he even gave me the metal to fix it!)

Again, not a problem mate, I'd done the repair myself before to the blue Jimny previously known as S200KYS, so knew the 4" x 2" rectangular box section was the perfect size externally to shape it like youve done so wonderfully, and to be the right internal dimension to take the panard rod end and bush...

And, many thanks for this! -

A nice new welding helmet turned up with Parcelforce on Tuesday... super shocked, but very grateful... I thought it was my failing eyesight :lol: it turns out most of it was my faithful old mask, which is now in the bin! ;)

Cheers Riccy! ;)
Attachments:

More
22 Aug 2021 11:52 #237782 by Dirtbird
Riccy while your at it .........Bump stops front and back, a clutch dosent have to be anything special ora kit something from  Blue Print would be fine,

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
22 Aug 2021 20:08 #237794 by Riccy
Dave you are welcome, those old masks were in a well worn state, that should make things much better for you

Riccy while your at it .........Bump stops front and back, a clutch dosent have to be anything special ora kit something from  Blue Print would be fine,

Not sure if your asking me what to recommend there?

Here's what I have in Ulysses:
Front Bumps are Terrafirma air bumps with the old ones drilled out to fit them inside the springs
Rear bumps are originals with a 2" extension made from some left over scaffold tube
Clutch is an Exedy safari tuff from Martin

Hope that helps

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

Time to create page: 0.209 seconds