BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Ulysses

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 May 2019 19:59 #207312 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
Really nice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Riccy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
05 May 2019 17:41 #207393 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Ulysses
Thanks Guys!

More painting today. Cage and alloy plates. The cage takes a surprisingly long time to get around all of it with the sprayer, hence not as impressive as the main colour going on. Still its done and drying now.

1st coat is buzzweld RE primer (Rust Encapsulation) sprayed on with shultz gun again

Then after an hour or so to flash off its on with the raptor black

Then I also squeezed in primer (acid etch this time for the bare aluminium). Rattle can but does the job.

Still to prime/paint the trailer body and underneath & chassis of the car, getting there tho :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
05 May 2019 18:15 #207399 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Ulysses
Riccy, I find this a fascinating thread. Thank you for your time and effort. It must be a daunting task, just carrying out the work, let alone having to take pictures and document it, for our benefit.

Full marks from me. :ohmy:

As a BOF, I hate to use the word, but your Jimny will be "awesome" when finished.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
25 May 2019 17:03 #208929 by Riccy
Thanks Steve, yes a bit daunting. It wasnt intended to get this mad!

Havent had the time for much work on it lately, but had managed to get a load of the interior stuff put back in, still to finish there...

and today was fighting with all the rusty old bolts to remove the rear axle. Front is to come off tomorrow and then cleanup them and underbody for spraying on Monday (hopefully!). The axles need the diffs swapped to 3.9 ARB locker's from the parts stash, so will get that done before they are painted and might squeeze in some bracing 'gusset's' if I have time as well :-)

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: furo, stiffsteve204me

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
26 May 2019 18:03 #209031 by Riccy
Was up early this morning so decided to take the front axle off first (as it wasnt going to make loads of noise to annoy neighbors, considerate aint I? ;) )

Front was as much of a pain to get off as the back, but it gave up eventually. Some new bolts and anti roll bar links are needed after the grinder was called for at one point, but thats expected.

So axles stripped down and on the bench. First job was to swap out the 4.3 diffs for 3.9 ratio and air lockers. TomDK (forum member) sold me the lockers a while ago and kindly left them in the diffs to make fitting much easier. Last time I fitted ARBs into J999MNY it took a full day just to fit the 2 lockers into the donor diffs, then the swap to do. Much easier this time :-)

The front axle case needed a couple of small grinds to the hole for the diff. This is a VVT casing and the diff is from a non VVT, so its slightly larger than the hole. Maybe 1mm needed to come off in two places for the carrier bearing mount of the diff to slide in. Not much but impossible without it!

Next was to tidy up and tap the breathers for screw in pipe attachments. Didnt take a pic of that, but its just a simple thing to do when its in bits like this.

Gusset :blush: :whistle:

The correct word for the brace fitted. Its basically a bit of heavy 50mm box steel sliced long ways to fit onto the axle at an angle. Its job is to brace over the weld on the longer section from the diff housing. This is the known weak bit on a jimny axle (apart from bearings). So cut and weld. Welding coming along pretty well...

This axle has had an easy life, despite looking manky. Its straight and no cracks. The holes for radius arms, shocks and panhard are all as new so no bracing needed there (yet). Might weld some thick washers on before paint. The rear axle did get some of the jimnybits rear shock guards welded on instead of the usual mounting (or rather as well as, since they just use the radius arm bolts to hold in position).

On the rack for a bit of sandblasting to get rid of loose rust and dirt. nearly ready for paint :-)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

More
26 May 2019 19:10 #209037 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Ulysses
You've been a busy boy!

Ready for Summer?

More
26 May 2019 19:59 #209039 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Ulysses
Have just read through the whole thread, what a brilliant build, thanks for sharing it with us. Love the tomato red raptor paint!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
27 May 2019 17:50 #209078 by Riccy
Yes thanks Keithy, ready for end of next month hopefully, fingers crossed, etc :laugh:

and thanks Gadget, the red is one of them love it or hate it colours!

Today was a bit of sandblasting on the undersides and onto some paint again. The RC primer from buzzweld on the axle casings, front bumper and undersides of car, then started on the black top. Managed to get the back sides of trailer body, axles, bumper and bonnet plates before running out of the black. More to order then as the car undersides didnt even get a coat yet.

No pics though, sorry!

The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 May 2019 19:16 #209083 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Ulysses
I'm looking forward to seeing the final result of this. You are putting some effort in and no mistake!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2019 21:10 #209093 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Ulysses
Looking really good

More
29 May 2019 18:05 #209190 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Ulysses
Your truss looks like a proper job.

The "jacking point" on the Gen4, just happens to be where the casing would be liable to crack. ;) :whistle:

File Attachment:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
More
30 May 2019 17:47 #209263 by Riccy

stiffsteve204me wrote: Your truss looks like a proper job.

The "jacking point" on the Gen4, just happens to be where the casing would be liable to crack. ;) :whistle:

Steve.

Hi Steve, Yes that looks like something Suzuki have thought about. Their solution is much smaller and lighter than my way (which is actually just a copy of the ones JimnyBits sell).

Is it the same on front and rear axles then?

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds