BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Discreet but capable

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
19 Dec 2018 17:46 - 19 Dec 2018 18:37 #199188 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Discreet but capable

jackonlyjack wrote: Happy to hear that your 4L has returned matey

Sniper i think you need to let the wifey Know that a transfer box guard is an essential buy now to protect your new fixture ;)

Jack

I have Jimnybits transfer guard going spare in the garage :whistle:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Last edit: 19 Dec 2018 18:37 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Dec 2018 18:37 #199192 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Discreet but capable
Yeah get one and pretend it's for the turkey :D

More
19 Dec 2018 20:06 #199195 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Discreet but capable

Riccy wrote:

jackonlyjack wrote: Happy to hear that your 4L has returned matey

Sniper i think you need to let the wifey Know that a transfer box guard is an essential buy now to protect your new fixture ;)

Jack

I have Jimnybits transfer guard going spare in the garage :whistle:

Not that it would have been politically correct, but that would have been useful to know before I bought one off James the other day......

To add doodahs to wotsit, the courier delivered it 20mins after I collected the car from the garage, after telling them I would be along with it for them to fit it whilst doing the transfer box.

Thanks anyway...... just my luck recently.

sniper

More
02 Feb 2019 12:05 #202354 by sniper
A few recent off road trips have shown my road biased KYB springs to be wanting, just that bit too soft. Despite my desire to not lift the car, it's use has made it necessary.

So with only 4000 miles on them, they are getting swapped for Eibach +30mm springs.

I have found buying Jimny springs to be a bit of a quest... Standard springs (as supplied by BigJimny) are fine for 95% of my use and probably perfect for 99% of Jimny users. I'm not an off roader but I do a bit of green laning, standard height springs with only a 15mm seat have gotten me through some pretty tough terrain.

I want to join in with the occasional RTV Trial and need just that little more from the suspension than I thought.

The quality of "lift springs" is questionable, many people report sagging, body roll, even failure.

I have looked at Aussie makes, Tough Dog and Kings, Zanfi from Italy...... All very well reputed but beyond my purse.....

Eibach have a great competition history and at around £220 for the set, they are the best compromise I can find.

I will fit the existing 15mm SuperPro seats too, so a total lift of 45mm. I will also fit castor correction bushes, it may be over castor'd but having seen Jackonlyjack running with 3" arms and a 2" lift. I don't think it will be a bad thing, his car drives very well.

My AVO shocks are plus 30mm, fitted on repositioners so they should be fine, I also have +30mm bump stops....

Might fit limiting straps just incase I get too enthusiastic when trying the trials....

sniper

More
02 Feb 2019 14:52 #202368 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Discreet but capable
Just a couple of things John
Maybe think about extended brake hoses. Dave at llama 4x4 could make you some specific to your lift
also a anti roll bar disconnect device like the JB ones
or one to your own design (I have 2 i won't be using) free of charge Pal ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
02 Feb 2019 16:11 #202375 by sniper
I've just fitted braided lines, I'll have a close look at the articulation and see if they need changing once the new springs are on, hope not...

Anti-roll bar disconnect is a good suggestion and one that had escaped me thanks jack....... I'll happily have a look at those you've got.

Just ordered the springs, castor bushes, panhard bushes, 25mm spring seat (drivers side front, for lean if needed). Hopefully here in a few days and then round to the lads at the garage. I'm hoping the fact that all the suspension was off last year will mean the job ain't too costly....

Our girt released some guilt money after spending a small fortune on the latest iPhone lol.

sniper

More
02 Feb 2019 16:45 #202378 by jackonlyjack

More
03 Feb 2019 07:04 #202417 by sniper
They look the part jack, it looks like I'm going to have to run two sets of wheels, road on AT's and track with muds. Got to find another £500 for a full set and wheels...... Lets hope the misses see's a pair of shoe's she "has to Have"......

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Feb 2019 07:55 #202418 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet but capable
This surprises me, having been in your car as it stands I'd be interested to know where you are trying to take it that it can't already go? Ok I grant you that all terrain tyres have limits in wet mud but with your diff you shouldn't be having many problems off road?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Feb 2019 09:38 - 03 Feb 2019 09:50 #202422 by sniper
I'm thinking of driving in one of the Road Taxed Vehicle trial events Lambert. They are set out over land that you would only describe as a war scape, it looked like a mortar platoon had unloaded for half an hour.

Pot holes that swallow Landrover 90's, I wouldn't last the course on AT's and I don't want to give the Landy crowd any ammunition. They were a welcoming bunch but I'm sure there would be a good bit of micky taking if I make a spectacle of myself.

Jackonlyjack showed that the jimny shouldn't be dismissed, considering we didn't know where or what we were doing and got the route wrong most of the time. Jack drove really well and I don't want to ruin a great start to the cars introduction.

If I'm going to risk panel and bumper, I'll do it on some aggressive mud tyres, in for a penny.....

sniper
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Feb 2019 09:50 by sniper.

More
03 Feb 2019 10:01 #202426 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Discreet but capable
Just up loading a few video's to you tube
not so easy for an none tech person like myself
also need to install some sort of editing tool when i figure that one out
so not the best footage but it will give you an idea of what we where doing lol

Jack
will post link when done
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Feb 2019 10:27 #202430 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet but capable
Ah motor sport. "Sorry love, we can't have that beach holiday in Bermuda this year, the Jimny needs new suspension. It's only 2500quid. Love you! "

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds