BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Discreet but capable

• mdog18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2018 18:00 #192965 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Discreet but capable
Out of interest did you need a body lift for the 215/75's to prevent against catching, especially when greenlaning?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2018 19:14 #192967 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Discreet but capable
I was changing the suspension and chose to stay at standard height with +15mm seats.

The 215's have only caught once when I was being a little too enthusiastic at a ford, I am a very steady driver off road and take my time so there has been no repeat.

I don't run spacers either and I think they might cause a few more snags. I'm after a set and will find out soon.....

I understand that 215's are the largest you can run on standard suspension and they are pretty close.

sniper

• mdog18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2018 19:27 #192968 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Discreet but capable
Ok great - thanks. I'm wanting to fit 215's on my Jimny but i'm a little worried about catching without a body lift due to the fact that the car has over 100,000 miles and is most likely riding lower than stock due to worn suspension.

More
27 May 2018 08:11 #192975 by sniper
I would suggest changing springs and shocks if it's tired, exactly where my car was and the transformation has been drastic. I have put top end shocks on but my springs are just KYB road springs.

You could do it with standard replacements for about £400, if you can find some secondhand spring seats maybe a mini lift too.

The change has been massive, I have put a couple of k on the car now and have had to relearn how to drive it, the change has been so big.

I'm now driving it hard enough on tarmac to find the brakes wanting...... another big spend.....

sniper

More
23 Jun 2018 12:02 #193764 by sniper
Fitted 30mm wheel spacers.....

A big change in the feel of the car, some catching at parking speeds/angles so will need to remove inner arches (at least) before going off road. Pleased with the look

When I bought the car, it was quite an adventure to drive, you had to keep your wits about you and pay attention to what you were doing, it felt small and skittish on the road. That has gradually changed, each new part has impacted individually and now as a whole it's a different car.

There are a few tight and twisty B roads nearby and the car loves them now, the vvt has come to life with a good service and some Mobil 1. It's quick enough to stay with the average hot hatch if you keep it singing and handles very well for what it is.

The handling and composure are now as good as anything with solid axles that I've driven, so much so that brakes are moving up the list to sort out, I'm pondering diesel vented setup.

Still saving for the ATB diff which will hopefully be sorted in the next month or two.

sniper
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jun 2018 13:26 #193768 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Discreet but capable
I'm running ebc up front as a step back from the diesel upgrade and they're brilliant, just keeps stopping and stopping.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jul 2018 12:05 #194046 by sniper
Sorry Lambert I didn't see your reply, what EBC pads are you running ?

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jul 2018 15:39 #194055 by Lambert
Green stuff and they only do plain rotors unfortunately but subject to getting braided lines and high temp fluid it's stopping harder than it ever has.

The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
06 Jul 2018 18:41 #194059 by sniper
Great I'll give them a try on my disks and see where we don't go as it were, cheers.

On other news, I ordered the Quaife ATB differential today along with a front wheel bearing that was advised on MOT, they will be delivered on Monday. I am now on the hunt for someone to fit the diff, I can't swing the spanners anymore.

I was offered a 20% discount on my next order from JB in recompense for a delay in a previous order, I thought they'd duck out with it being on a new bought-in item but they held true and I managed to get 20% on an £850 order. Chuffed to bits and a little closer to finding the £2-300 needed to fit the diff.

The bearing and a small rust patch are being sorted on Wednesday but it's a small garage that doesn't take big mechanical jobs. I do have a couple of local transmission shops, so all is not lost.

If anybody has good experience of building differentials and could do the job, please feel free to get in touch. I'd rather see the money go to an enthusiast than a garage.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jul 2018 20:31 #194065 by Lambert
If you have genuine Suzuki rotors be prepared for the green stuff pads to beat the daylights out of the disks. The ebc rotors seems to be possibly a better match but they only have a couple of thousand miles on them so experience is limited.

More
14 Jul 2018 17:17 #194282 by sniper
Had an hour spare......

Back seats out for rust treatment and paint, nothing too bad but I think its just in time.........
sniper
Attachments:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jul 2018 17:28 #194283 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Discreet but capable
Nice one I covered everything in sound proofing as well :)

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds