BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Discreet but capable

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2018 11:35 - 28 Mar 2018 11:35 #190962 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Discreet but capable
Looking good..... But what a pain
4 boxes but only 3 shocks?
Last edit: 28 Mar 2018 11:35 by Daniel30.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2018 12:56 #190968 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Discreet but capable
Yes a real pain, I only noticed the weight difference when I was loading up to go and fit them. They have turned out to be quite an epic.........

sniper

• X88RED
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Mar 2018 14:28 - 28 Mar 2018 14:29 #190970 by X88RED
Replied by X88RED on topic Discreet but capable
I do not rate AVO at all.. my shocks turned up damaged, sent them back to be repaired and they were sent back to me just as bad.. Gave up in the end as I really needed the shocks fitted!
Last edit: 28 Mar 2018 14:29 by X88RED.

More
28 Mar 2018 17:45 #190979 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Discreet but capable

sniper wrote: Five weeks wait in the end but from first impressions, worth it. Quality feel and appearance.

Off in to Mansfield, found a workshop with a ton of off roaders outside, only want £100 to fit springs and shocks and it was going to cost me £50 to hire a ramp.... Lets see how we get on.

sniper

That workshop behind Superbowl
If you're thinking about fitting a winch and plate with recovery points give me a shout
As I have one kicking around that's not being used

More
28 Mar 2018 17:56 #190980 by sniper
Hi jack, yes mate that's the one. They've got some trick stuff, tray backs and such. Do you know them ?

Can I have a look at the winching gear please jack, sounds interesting. I was going to look at recovery points so I could try a pay and play, going the extra mile might be a choice. I can call over anytime that suits.

sniper

More
28 Mar 2018 18:08 #190982 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Discreet but capable
Yes pal will be back from work tomorrow around 16:15 if that's any good for you
And no I don't know who owns the said workshop but do know some guys who have had work done
They're happy with them

More
28 Mar 2018 18:53 #190989 by sniper
I can make tomorrow jack, you tell me the time that suits. PM sent.

I'm glad that workshop has had no negative feedback, looking at whats outside, a suspension swap should be well within their capabilities.

sniper

More
29 Mar 2018 09:18 #191013 by sniper
The final damper turned up this morning and I've spoken to the workshop, all on for fitting tomorrow.

Been a bit of a drama but as a non stock item, any problems cause big delays, I can accept that. A discount code has been offered for my next purchase as recompense, can't say fairer.....

sniper

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Mar 2018 09:46 #191015 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Discreet but capable
Not a bad service really, some places don't care if they muck up orders these days :)

More
29 Mar 2018 16:17 #191029 by sniper
I said I was going to build a road car that was "capable" off road, "discreet" I said, it won't be very discreet with this poking through the bumper......

Cracking deal from jack, thanks mate.

This causes a bit of a problem with the springs now, will standard +15mm be enough I wonder or will I need to go higher........

sniper
Attachments:

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Mar 2018 07:10 #191036 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Discreet but capable
Mount the front number plate on spring clips and fix it to the upright rollers. It hides it a bit. :)

More
30 Mar 2018 23:08 #191075 by sniper
My first decision with the car was to maintain it's standard looks and by fitting a winch I would be straying from that. So following a chat with the chap who fitted the suspension, he is going to fabricate some recovery points front and back and fit them through existing gaps to look factory.

I offered to return the winch set up to jack but he said he was happy for me to move it on, it is now on the for sale page.

The car sits maybe 30mm higher and with only 15mm seats, shows how tired the old springs were. Cats and dogs on the way home so a steady drive but it felt quite different.

The steering damper has made the wheel feel firmer and dare I say, no wobble at 45 where there was a bit.

I set the dampers at 7 clicks from soft on the front, 6 clicks rear.

The suspension feels solid and quieter over small tarmac bumps, roll seems softer but still firm. Tyres seem more in touch.

I'm happy to recommend the workshop, he had to modify some bits to get clearance and obviously knows his trade. I will check that he is happy for me to do so and post again.

A good trash about tomorrow and get a picture to compare against standard.

A good week for being a jimnyist, suspension finally done (3wks late) and met Glyn at the workshop, also met jackonlyjack off the forum and got a great winch set up. Jacks car looks very purposeful, I like some of the little touches on it and it sounds ace. I hope to see it in action one day soon.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds