× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
14 Sep 2014 14:02 #124064 by funkyjimny
And on its second engine already lol
The topic has been locked.
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2014 21:47 #124127 by Bits4Vits
Replied by Bits4Vits on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
I meant the ANNUAL mileage, not the total mileage...

It's only done a couple of thousand miles a year for the last few years...! :woohoo:
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2014 21:55 - 14 Sep 2014 21:57 #124131 by Bits4Vits
Replied by Bits4Vits on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
News on the LSD today! B)

You may remember my quest to have a Vitara front LSD (my "signature" mod for many a year) shoe-horned into the front axle of my Jimny? Well, good news today from Richard "Rockwatt" Redacted of "RAM Auto Design" (a new name you're soon sure to hear more of)... well "good news and bad news" he said when he rang me earlier today! :S He said he could make it fit with some machining, but it was a one-way irreversible operation, and it would become a Jimny LSD rather than a Vitara LSD in the process... "No problem", I said, "as I don't have any Vitaras anymore" :unsure:

Turns out my hillbilly measuring with my measuring stick -

Wasn't quite accurate enough...

But of course, the "God of Gearing" made it fit! Here it is sat on the bench after machining and reassembly, and it's now on it's way back to me for eventual fitting in the Jimny's front axle...

Not next weekend though, as we're out greenlaning around Shropshire next Sunday... but that's a different thread / blog... more on the LSD soon though.

Thanks again to Richard "Rockwatt" Redacted of RAM Auto Design! B)
Last edit: 14 Sep 2014 21:57 by Bits4Vits.
  • bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2014 22:04 #124134 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
NICE!
More
18 Sep 2014 11:37 #124430 by X8GGY
Thanks Rus B)

Swapped to "Jimny-Dave" username now I'm a Jimny 'laner... have the same username on Shropshire Suzuki now as well ;)

"Jimny-Dave" ;)
More
19 Oct 2014 22:13 #126965 by X8GGY
LSD and RS-Mfg 26 spline shafts and HD CVs completed! B)

Covered in a separate thread here
More
21 Oct 2014 14:42 - 21 Oct 2014 14:43 #127092 by X8GGY
Just got back from a front wheel alignment, not bad, I was just a couple of milimetres out doing it 'by eye' after rebuilding the front axle with the LSD in, and to try an solve the 'death wobble' I had towards the end of our last day's greenlaning in the Shropshire area, I swapped out the tie-rod-ends... So I figured a proper laser alignment was in order...

Also had all the wheels and tyres balanced, and they were a bit out too!

So, that might add up and solve the death wobble issue? I've test driven it and haven't been able to replicate it after our last 'laning trip... It was only doing it coming down hills whilst lightly braking at slowish speeds... So I suppose if it does it again it'll be the front disks I change next?...

Time will tell... the joys of owning a Jimny I'm lead to believe...! A wobbly front end! ;)
Last edit: 21 Oct 2014 14:43 by X8GGY.
More
21 Oct 2014 16:43 #127113 by X8GGY
Blimey! For the price of Martin's Disks and Pads , I thought I might as well order them and swap them! In the post soon!

Thanks Martin! B)
More
22 Oct 2014 13:14 - 22 Oct 2014 13:42 #127176 by X8GGY
Started on my JimnyBits ARB quick-disconnect system today B)

There's the quick-disconnect bit in the middle of the photo, and you also get the two spacer plates to go under the clamps shown on the right of the photo. I've also bought a pair of drop-links from JimnyBits and have also added a new pair of polyurethane "PolyBush" ARB clamps from my own stock... The kit also contains nice comprehensive instructions, which I familiarised myself with first...

... and then cut the bar and ground all the paint off...

Slipped the quick-disconnect on, double checked everything lined up and tacked it, then went outside to check it all lined up under the Jim'

Welded a quarter round each hole, and then cycled around the four holes until all were welded up, and then...

Filled in the middle...

Assembled the other bits while the welds cooled off, and then...

... black hammerited...

Out for another coat after writing this and the blog on my own site, and then will fit it Friday... B)
Last edit: 22 Oct 2014 13:42 by X8GGY.
  • suzuki jimny fella
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Oct 2014 18:59 #127214 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
be nice to see that in action fella on flex see it working lol
More
22 Oct 2014 19:04 #127215 by X8GGY

suzuki jimny fella wrote: be nice to see that in action fella on flex see it working lol

We're up in the Lake District on Sunday, I'll get some photos...
The following user(s) said Thank You: suzuki jimny fella
More
23 Oct 2014 10:42 - 23 Oct 2014 10:45 #127278 by X8GGY
ARB finished -

And fitted -

On-road is fantastic, a revelation, I've thrown it round roundabouts this morning on a test drive, and there's hardly any body-roll, and more importantly - as my mate Gary "funkyjimny" says - it will be safe on the road if I do ever have to make an emergency manoeuvre to avoid something / a collision on the road... yet,

Off-road, it's just a matter of taking the two bolts out from the link in the middle, and it'll articulate like normal as if the bar isn't there...

Excellent product from JimnyBits, and easy to adapt your own ARB, or they will supply ready-made too... well done Rus', top marks! B)
Last edit: 23 Oct 2014 10:45 by X8GGY.
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds