BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

More
13 Aug 2014 22:28 #121978 by kirkynut
You seem to get on and do what I think about doing Dave! I considered having a rear winch tray put on my tow bar some time ago but never got round to getting it done.

I ought to sort out hd cv's too and have a spare rear diff for its side gears.

I never use it now days but ought to re gain some interest in the whole kit and caboodle as it's been lacking for a year or so.

You are an inspiration though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The topic has been locked.
  • funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
14 Aug 2014 19:17 #122034 by funkyjimny
Auxiliary reversing light ? Don't you mean a 'tw*t lamp ' lol

Awesome as ever Dave, little concerned about the ultimate weight of the thing but awesome.

Gary
More
14 Aug 2014 22:10 #122059 by maverick
With all that extra weight, we now know why he needs that LSD in the front ... LOL

Jalapeño, IISY?
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2014 07:45 #122077 by Bits4Vits
Replied by Bits4Vits on topic Re:Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
:laugh: LOL, thanks guys...

Rear bumper and winch won't be that heavy... winch is coming off the front of Zukhini so already has Dyneema synthetic rope on it...

I've always thought a rear winch would be of more use than a front... you tend to drive into something and need to go backwards to get out of it, rather than pull yourself deeper into it...?

Going to take the winch and tray (below) off the old Vit' on Sunday and copy the front of the Vit's mounting plate before selling it on...

;)
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2014 07:59 - 15 Aug 2014 08:01 #122080 by Bits4Vits

kirkynut wrote: You seem to get on and do what I think about doing Dave! I considered having a rear winch tray put on my tow bar some time ago but never got round to getting it done.

I ought to sort out hd cv's too and have a spare rear diff for its side gears.

I never use it now days but ought to re gain some interest in the whole kit and caboodle as it's been lacking for a year or so.

You are an inspiration though!

Kirkynut

Thanks Kirkynut ;) should be doing the winch plate on Sunday, so will update then... B)

funkyjimny wrote: Auxiliary reversing light ? Don't you mean a 'tw*t lamp ' lol

Awesome as ever Dave, little concerned about the ultimate weight of the thing but awesome.

Gary

Yes, partly a tw*t light, but also for reversing in the dark... it does have a separate switch on my dash panel ;)

maverick wrote: With all that extra weight, we now know why he needs that LSD in the front ... LOL

I've got to have an LSD, it's my signature mod! ;)
Last edit: 15 Aug 2014 08:01 by Bits4Vits.
  • Xtreme
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2014 08:30 #122081 by Xtreme
Replied by Xtreme on topic Re:Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
What thickness is your winch plate made of?
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2014 08:40 #122082 by Bits4Vits
6mm plate... here's the one I made for my Vitara -

www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/skid-plate-win...ukhini/blog_263.html

The one for the Jimny will be similar to the front of that one, but welded to the 2"x2" crossbar of the towbar bracket (which is bolted to the chassis in six places) and to the top of where the actual tow hitch WAS mounted, as I've cut that off level with the box-section cross bar... more photos soon...

But, yes, 6mm plate (braced underneath on the Vit version as it was hanging out from the second crossmember)
  • Flameboi201
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2014 09:49 #122087 by Flameboi201
Replied by Flameboi201 on topic Re:Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Dave use the hole thing . Looks like it would double up as a tank gaurd :-)
  • Xtreme
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2014 10:35 #122092 by Xtreme

Bits4Vits wrote: 6mm plate... here's the one I made for my Vitara -

www.bits4vits.co.uk/store/skid-plate-win...ukhini/blog_263.html

The one for the Jimny will be similar to the front of that one, but welded to the 2"x2" crossbar of the towbar bracket (which is bolted to the chassis in six places) and to the top of where the actual tow hitch WAS mounted, as I've cut that off level with the box-section cross bar... more photos soon...

But, yes, 6mm plate (braced underneath on the Vit version as it was hanging out from the second crossmember)

I have been quoted that 3mm/4mm plate will suffice with the correct bracing and use just some extra patches to double up where the winch bolt holes go through. I made my winch plate out of 6mm also but there is alot of weight there. Whats your opinion on 3mm/4mm with bracing and thicker for the bolt holes?
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2014 12:08 #122097 by Bits4Vits

Flameboi201 wrote: Dave use the hole thing . Looks like it would double up as a tank gaurd :-)

LOL! :laugh:

I have got a (JimnyBits) fuel tank guard awaiting fitting in the garage B)

Xtreme wrote: I have been quoted that 3mm/4mm plate will suffice with the correct bracing and use just some extra patches to double up where the winch bolt holes go through. I made my winch plate out of 6mm also but there is alot of weight there. Whats your opinion on 3mm/4mm with bracing and thicker for the bolt holes?

I'd personally use 6mm due to the twisting forces when a winch is spooling in under load... it can't cost or weigh much more than 3mm/4mm so why use a thinner material? :unsure:
  • Xtreme
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Aug 2014 12:28 #122098 by Xtreme
I get the plate for free so cost is not a factor for me. It was suggested to use the 3/4mm in terms of saving weight. Having a front and rear winch plate made of 6mm is fairly weighty. I am just curious as to opinions on how strong this is - remembering it still needs to be designed with the correct bracing. Many bull bars are made from 3/4mm including the winch mounting plate so I am guessing it is strong enough, In your photo that plate looked thinner then 6mm which was why I asked.
More
15 Aug 2014 15:24 #122106 by Busta
6mm plate will be twice as heavy as 3mm! I doubt there's a single piece as thick as 6mm on the rest of the Jimny chassis so it is a little excessive.
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds