BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's "S200KYS" Jimny 'laner Build...

• Phatphingers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2014 08:07 #120152 by Phatphingers
Replied by Phatphingers on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
I guess it depends on which Pajero/Shogun you have..... there is one of Brett's favourite lanes that I still wake up in cold sweats over after taking my Mk2 Shogun down last year, just the mention of UCR5003 :pinch:

It was much less nerve wracking in my latest Jimny.....
The topic has been locked.
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2014 12:51 - 21 Jul 2014 13:21 #120398 by Bits4Vits
Replied by Bits4Vits on topic Dave's (Bits4Vits) Jimny 'laner Build...
Well, a great day yesterday in the Lake District, chuffed with the on-road and off-road performance of the Jimny...

Only had a few little niggles to sort out -

The steering wheel is sitting cocked after I adjusted the front panhard rod, so just need to sort that, whip the steering wheel off and get it pointing straight when the wheels are straight. correction : follow the link below that Brett has posted...

The windscreen washers don't work after I moved the washer bottle to fit the JimnyBits ABS-suitable battery tray... I'm sure I tested it when I fitted it, but no washer jets yesterday, so have to look at that one...

The CB didn't work first thing as it was set to the wrong zone... over breakfast at a motorway services Brett googled it and sent me a link to the instructions in PDF form, that I was then able to read on the iPad on the dashboard, and get the CB set up to the UK setting. BUT, then I had massive interference when anyone else broadcasted, so I need a noise suppressor...

I managed to whack the ORA bumper into a rock, so it's pushed it out of-line on it's adjustment slots, so that just needs adjusting back to sit right, and some way of keeping it in place permanently.

And the reversing alarm, although very useful to let others (particularly Phil-S! :lol: ) know your manouvering backwards, can start to grate on your nerves after a while, and could also be a bit inhibitive if we're trying to be subtle when 'laning, so I think I'll have to fit an on/off switch to it...
Last edit: 21 Jul 2014 13:21 by Bits4Vits.
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2014 13:01 #120399 by Bits4Vits
The gearing is great...

As said before 60mph in fifth is at 3,750rpm

And touching 70, i.e. 67/68mph is at 4,000rpm

So, ideal for long runs to and from distant areas of greenlanes, such as the Lake District yesterday... particularly on the way home, when you're desperate to get home to a waiting family, cold beer and a hot shower! :laugh:

Offroad gearing is awesome, nice and low when needed, and with ARB Locker there when needed too, which also results in normal road manners...

Superb!
More
21 Jul 2014 13:10 #120401 by maverick
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bits4Vits
More
21 Jul 2014 13:12 #120403 by maverick
so I need a noise suppressor...

Let me know what you get as I also have CB interference!!

Jalapeño, IISY?
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2014 13:17 #120405 by Bits4Vits

maverick wrote: Realign the Steering wheel

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/component/con...110-steering-v15-301

Thanks Brett ;)
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2014 13:22 #120406 by Bits4Vits

maverick wrote: so I need a noise suppressor...

Let me know what you get as I also have CB interference!!

Will do ;)

Dave (still waiting for wife's Mokka to be serviced... thank god for iPads!)
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2014 15:37 - 23 Jul 2014 15:38 #120562 by Bits4Vits
Just pinched a still from Brett's Video of my little Jimny coming up Nibthwaite for my Avatar -

Thanks Brett! B)
Last edit: 23 Jul 2014 15:38 by Bits4Vits.
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2014 15:40 #120563 by Bits4Vits
More
25 Jul 2014 21:19 #120697 by kirkynut
I love your Jimny, your plans for it and your blogs Dave but those wheels do not look good. Are they temporary or are they staying?

Just my opinion. Tell me to wind my neck in if you want!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Jul 2014 21:56 #120701 by Bits4Vits

kirkynut wrote: I love your Jimny, your plans for it and your blogs Dave but those wheels do not look good. Are they temporary or are they staying?

Just my opinion. Tell me to wind my neck in if you want!

Kirkynut

I've obviously missed something here... as you're not the first to say that...

I had these wheels on the "Zukhini" Vitara... they are alloys, strong, round and were fitted with the 235/75/15 tyres I wanted on the Jimny, and have the right offset...

They might be f'ugly, but they serve the purpose... that'll do me! ;) LOL :laugh:
  • Bits4Vits
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Aug 2014 21:38 #121974 by Bits4Vits
Ahhh... after 3 or 4 weeks of rehearsals and the eventual 6 shows / 4 days run of "Bugsy Malone", my wife and daughters came home, and life returned to "normal" (or as normal as it gets round here) and I got my usual Wednesday "day" off to work on the Jimny... B)

I started by clearing the garage out after re-building the Jimny as a 'laner, and then reversed it back in, intent on stripping the front axle to get the diff out to get it blended with the LSD to be stolen from the "Zukhini" Vitara...

But... I figured as it was raining, and the jimny was backed into the newly tidied garage, I might as well get the rear bumper sorted so that I can get it sent for powder coating in matching "silky silver" powdercoat...

So...

Off came the original silver plastic bumper...

And in went the ORA bumper brackets (these should mount with the same bolts as my tow-bar, which is to be redesigned as a rear winch tray)...

There, the ORA rear bumper is loosely bolted in place...

Nice and chunky!

Rear lights test fitted... I'll have to go and get some bar to weld over the joins in the light's sections to protect the lenses...

I then worked out that the winch needed 6.5" of room, which meant cutting 3.5" off the bottom edge of the bumper...

So I cut and bended back a tab of metal to keep the rigidity of the bumper, and then began cutting another oval slot...

To mount a (JimnyBits sourced) 6-LED spotlight array behind as an auxiliary reversing light, if needed...

Back on the Jimny again for test-fitting...

And test-fiting where the roofrack / tree slider bars will land...

More soon! B)
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds