BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

New SJ owner - couple of q’s

More
10 Sep 2023 15:04 #250728 by lesgrandepotato
 Bit of progress to report! Struggled with the Aisin carb, blew it through with the airline. Replaced the vacuum hoses. Just could not find a stable idle. 

Ended up soldering up the loom behind the fuse box to sort the head lights out. 

Went for a Mot… failed… Excessive brake travel. Poor emissions, no side repeaters and head lamp aim. 

Got the garage to aim the lights. No surprise it was cross eyed. I’d made no effort to sort it.

Seats and harnesses put in, bit of a fiddle with some 25mm flat bar onto the original seat rails. 

Got up to 40mph on the way to the test. Brakes interesting. Badly lacking power. 

Tried 4lo down the track home. This is good! Seems to be able 1mph per 1000rpm. Crawls down dead slow, should be fine for our baby tyro trials! 

Lack of free wheel hubs means it’s seems easy to get locked up in 4wd with out rolling back to release the drive line.

So busy weekend this weekend found a colour tune and sorted the mix and idle.
Set the float heights, carb full of water… so drained and added fresh fuel!
Finalized with the bum Dyno up the track up the hill. It’s not exactly rapid! 

Hope to get a test tommorow and see if we can find 5th gear and 55mph. 

Oh yes and the final bit, laid down the graphics on the bonnet - loving it! 

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2023 15:53 #250729 by lesgrandepotato
Couldn’t bring myself to cut up the wings, so went for a custom option using aftermarket jeep units chosen mostly for being available on Amazon prime… 

May have also played with the letraset machine… we aren’t taking ourselves very seriously here 

Attachments:

More
11 Sep 2023 11:34 #250750 by lesgrandepotato
We have a ticket! Now for a week of driving to shake it down before the NL4x4 event at the weekend where we might just get it a bit dirty
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, yakuza, Soeley

More
11 Sep 2023 15:01 #250753 by Soeley

More
13 Sep 2023 17:09 #250791 by lesgrandepotato
It’s a bloody riot driving this thing :-)  
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza, Soeley

More
14 Sep 2023 06:49 #250801 by Soeley

More
14 Sep 2023 08:02 - 14 Sep 2023 08:05 #250802 by yakuza
I think I have a copy of the German TUV or German Suzuki papers saying it is allowed to drive without the doors as long as there is a rope or chain preventing passengers to fall out.
Not sure if these help in Norway or in the UK but still I will keep them in the glove box when/if I drive without the doors. My door bolts need some serious persuasion to loosen but yours is easy to remove :)
Love driving without the doors, must be done with caution of course.

Looks awesome, and I know first hand it is awesome to drive a SJ as well. Good and hard work making this a great car, You really deserve the enjoyment now!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2023 08:05 by yakuza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lesgrandepotato

More
14 Sep 2023 13:48 #250812 by lesgrandepotato
Cheers Yakuza! I’ll be making a set of cut down half doors once I’ve got my welding mojo back. Given I live in the north of a rainy country there is little rush as we head into autumn! 

More
18 Sep 2023 10:59 #250864 by lesgrandepotato
Out for a play at the weekend with NL 4x4 club :-) 

The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
10 Oct 2023 16:07 - 10 Oct 2023 16:07 #251329 by lesgrandepotato
  Well we’ve had a view trips out and I’m getting the hang of it now after the Jimny. 

Things escalated slightly when went to view a local one with a mate. 

Both K reg and the chassis numbers are 19 apart… so probably the same day build! 

After flooding the air box at Dalton dirty martini has gained a snorkel and a couple of hundred miles have got the tune on the Weber much better and sorted a few electrical niggles out. 

Finally fitted the new doors today. So Dirty is officially rust free and no visible repairs. Not bad for a 30 off year old truck. Still need to paint the bill bars and mop the paint but it’s ok for now. 

However the spare tyre is dead, and the drivers front has a slow puncture, and the rest are showing a few cracks and bits of battle damage….

So the question is what do I go for? I’m on 215/75 LT’s at the moment. It’s got a 2” OME lift on it. I’m minded to go a little bigger… but that’s new rims as well I suspect…

Should I be looking at 235/75’s (circa 29’s) or 30’s? I’ve got the 4:16 transfer case so either a viable. Planning on keeping stock bumpers etc at the moment. 

Any sage advice? Any interesting rims apart from steel Modular’s?
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Oct 2023 16:07 by lesgrandepotato.

More
10 Oct 2023 18:32 #251330 by jlines
I like Weller wheels on SJs especially in white.

More
28 Oct 2023 19:33 #251848 by lesgrandepotato

Had a bit of a play and sorted a custom grill badge for Dirty Martini… 
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.202 seconds