BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A section for Vitara and SJ owners.
If you have not yet upgraded to a Jimny then you can discuss your current Suzuki 4x4 here!

New SJ owner - couple of q’s

More
29 Jul 2023 16:54 #250030 by lesgrandepotato

Shooting primer today after a trip to the steam fayre.  Looking ok… probably needs a half day of final prep and taking through the grades before shooting it with some black… and sticking stripes on! 

Seats have been dispatched from Italy so it’s coming together :-) 
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza, Soeley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2023 11:18 #250042 by yakuza
Love the progression. And all the good work.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
30 Jul 2023 18:38 #250054 by lesgrandepotato
I am inordinately pleased!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

More
01 Aug 2023 13:00 #250070 by lesgrandepotato
Well the Mot is booked for Thursday… just need to reassemble it! Only major job really is setting the body mounts a final time and popping the dash in 

More
01 Aug 2023 19:50 #250076 by lesgrandepotato
    Bloody hell. Just fitting the dash and the speedo cable doesn’t fit onto the clocks… am I missing something ?
Attachments:

More
01 Aug 2023 22:23 #250078 by yakuza
Should go into the center socket straight behind the center of the speedometer. Wiggle it?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
02 Aug 2023 13:22 #250085 by lesgrandepotato

Should go into the center socket straight behind the center of the speedometer. Wiggle it?

Found the old one…. Seems that it screws on… so there must be two types of speedo cable for different years 

More
02 Aug 2023 15:18 #250087 by jackonlyjack
Is the square drive part same size has one removed
If the square fits could you use a jubilee clip to hold the outer in place 

More
03 Aug 2023 08:58 #250097 by lesgrandepotato
    Failed at the first hurdle! Well the incline at the end of the drive… 

So it seems that we have a running under load issue. It idles well, the accelerator pump jets are good. 
But if you rev it up then it goes up with the (pump jets) then falls away. So I guess we aren’t transitioning to the secondary or main jets…. 

It’s a pretty complex looking beast the carb. Does a service / test manual / procedure exist?

When I rev it looking down the barrels then I don’t see the secondary move? Would that be expected? It’s not under load but it’s hitting 5k rpm so I kinda thought it would pull open?
Attachments:

More
03 Aug 2023 19:56 #250107 by lesgrandepotato
So I’ve pulled the carb. I’ll need a rebuild kit. It looks somewhat complex. But that’s just a bunch of simple stuff nailed together. 

Where are we going for a decent Aisin 83020 kit? 

More
06 Aug 2023 18:01 #250124 by lesgrandepotato
Bit of progress to report. Made and adapter in on the lathe to allow the speedo to plug onto the threaded boss. 
finished stripping the bullbar and got that into primer. 
The wipers have been hit and miss. So pulled the motor and improved the earth. Better ish! So folded the screen and tried again. Bugger! The wiper rack in the centre is so seized it’s spinning its mounts. No wonder the paint was cracking on the outside. Fresh rack on its way from India… 

Pulled the carb apart. Replaced 14! Vac hoses and blew it out with compressed air. That’s got it running better. Spent some time setting the timing and then tried to get a decent idle. It’s getting better. Idle mix was way off and it’s less hunting than it was. 

Holiday time soon, so progress will be impeded… hopefully the new seats arrive from Italy this week….
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Soeley

More
09 Aug 2023 17:22 #250185 by lesgrandepotato

yes… I think this concept might just work….
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

Time to create page: 0.225 seconds