× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

New Project

More
18 Jul 2024 07:14 - 18 Jul 2024 07:20 #256824 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic New Project
Base coat with zinc spray or something containing zinc is used by many and has its followers. Not sure if I agree that it is galvanizing but it sure helps as the zinc will react with the steel so the zinc depleats and corrodes instead of the steel. The zinc is sacrificial to the steel.
But only for so long as there is not that much zinc. so with the extra layers on top it will be fine, but not alone. 

Very nice too see good and proper work done no matter what stuff is used.

I am more of a oily paint kind of guy but I have used zinc base coat too.

others also use two component base coats, some use acid base coat and some like me use oil based all the way with wax or bitumen on top.

Either way the most important thing is to do something, do many layers, and not just let it go untreated.

Rust never sleep so sooner or later it will need treating again and again.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2024 07:20 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2024 15:56 - 22 Jul 2024 15:58 #256912 by MigCooper
Replied by MigCooper on topic New Project

Do you have a picture of how the rubber sat back in on that mount... 

I started just replacing the whole mounting to simplify things on repairs.  

I will when i get back, i wont be home till the end of August.

Snorkel and plenty of rust to be treated :)
Last edit: 22 Jul 2024 15:58 by MigCooper.

More
22 Jul 2024 16:02 #256913 by MigCooper

I was assuming he was referring to real galvanising TBH, I didn't know "spray on" galvanising was possible, but in this context that makes more sense.

It was the spray on one, not the "real" one

More
22 Jul 2024 16:03 #256914 by MigCooper

Spray on Galvanizing is Just one step up from American powder coating when it comes to rust prevention in my book.
It also says some sort of wax wich is good and the combo is very good.

Real Galvanizing is dipping the complete part in heated acid and then heated zinc.
Wich in some cases will warp a car frame.

I got my trailer frame dip galvanized, wich went fine because I boxed it off to prevent the warping. And I was prepared it might get warped.

Regarding the wax, i am not sure what type is it, the idea is to put it inside all the chassis legs and holes to prevent rust from the inside

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds