× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Repair or scrap / break

More
13 Aug 2024 00:23 #257173 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Repair or scrap / break
Okay, I took it back to the garage today with the expectation that they were going to try to initially try to get exhaust off at the manifold again ( I’d sprayed releasing oil on the bolts several times) and if not, then cut it to see if the power returned.  But, they did the latter only, fitting a sleeve to cover the hole afterwards.  They said they’d heated the bolts with oxy acetylene previously and they wouldn’t budge so didn’t bother trying.  After cutting a slight hole in the exhaust they took it for a noisy test drive but didn’t feel it had any more power.  However I’m not sure if they understood how little power the Jimny has in the first place.   They thought the next step would be a compression test or more expensive engine checks.

I’m reasonably convinced that their initial suggestion of a blocked cat is the issue but am not sure where to go from here, especially if the exhaust front pipe to manifold bolts won’t undo, so they’ll likely snap if worked on further.  Access to drill out a snapped bolt looks tricky.  The manifold heat shield bolts also look rusty so might be the same.  

anyone got any suggestions?

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Aug 2024 03:26 #257174 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Repair or scrap / break
I'd be getting the tools out and having a go at the bolts myself, but I understand that is not an option for everyone.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Aug 2024 08:15 #257175 by greenmachine
this happened to mine going up a steep road to the bilsdale transmitter on the N york moors. 1st cat off manifold disintegrated like lambert says and blocked my new exhaust. AA bloke was a top man (ex peugeot wrx rally team mech)
we smashed everything out of the new pipe too to get her going. so just as it
happens i have the manifold cat and the 2nd pipe in my jimny outside if you want em, i,m selling her anyway due to rust, engine 1.6 on fleabay and here. calll me if you want em 07782333852

More
13 Aug 2024 08:19 #257176 by greenmachine
call me if you want your problem solved. free parts if needed

More
13 Aug 2024 09:42 - 13 Aug 2024 09:43 #257178 by Paul4A
Thanks for the reply and offer Liam.  I’m however slightly confused with the wording used.  Are you referring to an early G13BB SOHC exhaust manifold and cat or a later Jimny as they’re seemingly not compatible, or the one from your 1600cc engine, as that’s likely to not be compatible either?

Paul

Last edit: 13 Aug 2024 09:43 by Paul4A.

More
03 Sep 2024 13:19 - 03 Sep 2024 13:43 #257415 by Paul4A
Having visited three separate garages, the car is now repaired with a new catalytic converter fitted. It was apparently a pig to get the old bolts out. I’m not sure it’s back up to full power but it’s certainly massively better than it was. When under load on a steep hill I can still hear a slight hissing as if it’s still leaking from the exhaust manifold joint so am hoping the new down pipe to manifold joint just needs a bit more tightening.

We just fitted new front brake pads too. We have discovered that one of the rear brake cylinders has a slight weep so will get that replaced. It’s strange but we were aware of a drop in fluid but hadn’t found the leak before. Are there differences in quality of new cylinders? I’ve seen prices from £11 to £35 on eBay, £75 from Suzuki. I’ve also seen them in the Jimny shop and have a query made with Martin.

We still have a problem with the handbrake sticking on when parked for a while. I don’t think it’s very good anyway but a while ago asked a garage to check it when it was in for something else. Since then it’s been sticking on. Our drive is on a slope and when I release the handbrake to drive away each time, the car doesn’t move. If I put it in gear and drive away it then releases with a slight bang from the drivers side rear wheel. I’ve had two garages look at it but both said they didn’t find anything wrong. Any suggestions?

Last edit: 03 Sep 2024 13:43 by Paul4A.

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds