BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× Tell us about your Jimny and post some pictures! Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Repair or scrap / break

More
21 May 2020 11:16 #222630 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Repair or scrap / break
I have managed to identify that the colour is Cyprus Blue Metallic. The colour code may be 97000-Z2J as I’ve seen that listed on an old touch up pencil but that also lists several other numbers so I will seek to confirm it.

Anyone know the steel wheel colour as asked above please.

Paul

1999 T registered Jimny. Early G13BB SOHC engine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2020 11:18 #222631 by Paul4A
I wonder how many 21 year old Jinny’s are left. Not many I would guess due to the dreaded tin worm.

Paul

More
08 Jul 2021 22:07 - 08 Jul 2021 22:10 #236541 by Paul4A
Just thought I'd add a query to this old posting rather than start a new one. There is what appears to be a breather pipe on the engine  between the rocker cover and inlet manifold.  From the oil spray on the rocker cover I can only assume that the hose fitting is leaking slightly.  That end of the hose seems to spin on a fitting fastened into the rocker cover but I'm not aware whether its supposed to spin or not.  I asked the parts sales person at the local dealer as to what that fitting is but he was unable to find any details on their system.   Can anyone advise how that hoses is meant to seal as I assume this leakage will be affecting it's running and can only get worse if not addressed.

Thanks
Paul

Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jul 2021 22:10 by Paul4A.

More
09 Jul 2021 07:55 - 09 Jul 2021 07:57 #236544 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Repair or scrap / break
The green thing is the PCV valve.
The seal is an expensive rubber grommet fitted into the rocker cover, then the PCV valve just pushes in and expands it for a perfect seal. (When new- after a couple of years of oil and heat the rubber shrinks and goes soft then it leaks)

www.bigjimny.com/store/pcv-valve-g13bb.html

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 09 Jul 2021 07:57 by facade.

More
09 Jul 2021 13:09 #236549 by Paul4A
Many thanks, I’ll order a new PCV valve and seal from Martin. It’s lasted 22 years so not too bad.
Paul

More
17 Jul 2021 06:49 - 17 Jul 2021 06:50 #236747 by Paul4A
Arrived in the Lakes last night for a break. Meant to post this then but was tired and very hot. At a nearby quick stop the passenger electric window ceased working when in the part open position. Neither drivers door nor passenger door button for that window worked suggesting it’s a fuse or the motor. I’d like to get it sorted today ( Saturday)so we can close the window for security and have no electrical equipment with me so will look for a garage that’s open. Is there a history or known problem with window motors ? Do the Windows have separate fuses as the drivers window is working fine?

Thanks,
Paul

Last edit: 17 Jul 2021 06:50 by Paul4A.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jul 2021 08:18 #236751 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Repair or scrap / break
You haven't accidentally pressed the cutout on the driver switch panel have you? Easiest option first and all that.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
17 Jul 2021 09:34 #236752 by Paul4A
That’s exactly what happened thanks. Sorted now. Relief over.
Paul

More
01 Oct 2021 09:40 #239041 by lookonimages
Sorry guys it seems some post were made from the pocket :)
Phone on and in pocket. Like those "pocket calls"

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

More
14 Oct 2021 07:27 #239396 by Paul4A
Replied by Paul4A on topic Re:Repair or scrap / break
Well the Jimny went for its latest MOT and failed again on sill corrosion ( soft on the back on both sides) and a small patch on one wheel arch. Currently looking for someone to get a price for welding again. If anyone knows of a decent garage or individual in the Tyne and Wear area I’d appreciate it. I think I’ll have to SORN it in the meanwhile.

Paul

More
14 Oct 2022 10:59 #245439 by Paul4A
I’ve not been oh here for a while, primarily due to a life changing health issue which occurred during covid lockdown.  I managed to get someone to weld the Jimny last year and they got it MoT’d while there.   It wasn’t a quality job but a 22 year old car wasn’t worth spending much money on and other estimates were multiple times the value of the car.  A year later it’s just failed it’s MoT again,  The list includes the following:Repair immediately (major defects)
  • Brake pipe excessively corroded Offside Rear (x 2) [1.1.11 (c)]
  • Brake pipe excessively corroded Front (to rear x 2) [1.1.11 (c)]
  • Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting Nearside Front (inner wheel arch) [6.2.2 (d) (i)]
  • Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting Offside Front (inner wheel arch) [6.2.2 (d) (i)]
  • Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced Nearside Rear (inner wheel arch) [6.1.1 (c) (i)]
  • Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantl)
    reduced Nearside Front (outer sill) [6.1.1 (c) (j)]
  • Anti-roll bar ball joint excessively worn Nearside Front (drop link) [5.3.4 (a) (i)]
  • Exhaust lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits [8.2.1.2 (c)]

The tester was exceptionally busy so couldn’t show me or discuss much but one thing he said was that past welding on the sills and rear wheel arches were not done well and they had just tacked the repair panels, with current requirements being for continuous welds.  I did say that it’s got a separate chassis and is not a monocoque car, and that all cars are spot welded rather than continuously welded but he said it’s a requirement of the MoT. 

The emissions were off because the lambda sensor had failed rather than engine wear. It’s only done 46,000 miles in 23 years, 20 of those in our ownership.

it’s probably a scrap job this time but having a couple of days think about it.  I do love it myself and prefer to drive it on local trips to my own car.

Paul

More
22 Oct 2022 08:46 #245527 by Paul4A
I’ve had a starting estimate ( based upon what can be seen at this point) for the welding and am looking into the other costs.

Is there a difference between lambda sensors in the early G13BB SOHC engines to later DOHC engines and what is a good source for them?

The price of the drop links appears to vary wildly between suppliers so I’m wondering if there are known quality issues with some or whether any one would do?

Paul

Time to create page: 0.155 seconds