BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Fitting a Turbo or Supercharger to Gen4

More
08 Oct 2023 09:10 - 08 Oct 2023 09:15 #251258 by lightning
l have to say the extra torque of a turbo would be nice. Although the Jimny is okay in standard form.

The best thing for the Jimny would be full time 4wd
 But it would be pretty much impossible to achieve. 
Last edit: 08 Oct 2023 09:15 by lightning.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2023 10:55 #251261 by jackonlyjack

l have to say the extra torque of a turbo would be nice. Although the Jimny is okay in standard form.

The best thing for the Jimny would be full time 4wd
 But it would be pretty much impossible to achieve.

It is possible using a lada niva transferbox these have differential inside 

Also i believe (member) Keithy is running around 200hp from an 1.5 turboed M series 

More
08 Oct 2023 12:28 #251264 by 300bhpton

Are they changing the crank?  The problem with adding any kind of forced induction is detonation, so the engine has to run rather rich when on boost* unless you drop the compression ratio.  Super unleaded helps.

*which is why turbo cars used to do well in the NEDC fuel economy tests but appallingly in the real world - NEDC had such slow acceleration that the turbos never really spooled up.
They don’t need to run rich. They just need to run a safe A/F ratio. Which is done by tuning and controlling the fuel.

As for the crank. Depends how strong it is. But most standard engines are strong enough to cope with low boost applications. Which is what kits like this are.

More
08 Oct 2023 12:34 #251266 by 300bhpton

In the car wow video Matt was struggling with the traction control kicking in although he was blaming the tires rather than the turbo. I still think it’s an accident waiting to happen if you don’t know how to handle a Jimny on the road. 
That isn’t the case. Where he said the tcs kicked in was taking a 90 degree turn on wet/damp tarmac at speed, cutting over the white line and accelerating. I image in a stock Jimny you stand a 50:50 chance of activating the tcs in such a situation.

As for the comment “an accident waiting to happen”. No wishing to be rude or upset. But do you live in a cave and be completely unaware of any performance vehicles for the past 60-70 years? Let alone what goes on in the modifying community.

In the Carwow vid Matt was clocking mid 8s 0-60mph times. That wasn’t even quick in the mid 1980s!!!

More
08 Oct 2023 16:15 - 08 Oct 2023 16:16 #251268 by lightning
As for the comment “an accident waiting to happen”. No wishing to be rude or upset. But do you live in a cave and be completely unaware of any performance vehicles for the past 60-70 years? Let alone what goes on in the modifying community.

In the Carwow vid Matt was clocking mid 8s 0-60mph times. That wasn’t even quick in the mid 1980s!!! (QUOTE)

lt was about right for a "hot hatch" of the time. However we're talking about putting 150bhp through the rear wheels of a lightweight 4x4 with a high GofG and roly-poly off road suspension, in RWD mode.

Someone needs to try it, and report back on here if they are still alive.

Our standard 2020 Jimny loses traction on corners in the dry lf you're not careful. With 50% more power and probably twice the torque you'll have to hope the airbags save you when you stack it.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2023 16:16 by lightning.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Oct 2023 17:25 #251270 by Lambert
Of all the modified vehicles I have had the pleasure of driving the only one that I would call undriveable on the road was a 950hp turbo V8 capri set up for the drags. It was a bit of a handful especially as it had a spool. A jimny even with 200 hp is not in the same league even with a novice driver.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Oct 2023 17:45 #251271 by auchenblae
In our 2016 car coming back from Pitlochry to Aberdeenshire this February around 10:30 am, we went round a left hand corner a bit sharpish at 10C and dry but nothing daft and the car started drifting to the outside of the curve just a touch. The Stability Control system then pitched in with no warning, the front end rolled with the front offside suspension on the outside of the curve going down and the front nearside suspension raising without warning.

The car then started skidding onto the outside of the bend. I just kept my cool, neither braking or moving the steering wheel. The car then regained grip in a very worrying manner.

For any 150 type bhp output, I would suggest a suspension redesign would be needed as well as a stability system tweak. An Electronic Stability system was added to the Gen 3 cars if I remember correctly in around 2016 or 2016.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
08 Oct 2023 17:55 #251272 by 300bhpton

lt was about right for a "hot hatch" of the time.
It was about right for a semi warm hatch. MG Maestro Turbo was more like 6.9sec 0-60mph. And frankly hot hatches simply were not the pinnacle of performance.

Early 1970s muscle and pony cars where able to run well into the 13's on a 1/4 mile (in the 5's 0-60mph), modded a lot faster. So mid 8 sec is not overly overwhelming.....

However we're talking about putting 150bhp through the rear wheels of a lightweight 4x4 with a high GofG and roly-poly off road suspension, in RWD mode.
I think you worry way too much. You said on another forum you have never used full throttle in your Defender D250 diesel. Which also isn't really all that speedy....

150hp is nothing in something like a Jimny. Must be 1000's of people running way more in lightweight vehicles including lots of 4x4s. And as I said earlier in this thread, Jeep sold the Wrangler weighing hardly any more with 170hp and RWD. Lots and lots of V8 powered Land Rover's about too and an 80" Series is probably lighter than a Jimny.

Someone needs to try it, and report back on here if they are still alive.
eh? There are several videos of people driving the 165hp Twisted Jimny. All have survived the savage unbridled power....

Our standard 2020 Jimny loses traction on corners in the dry lf you're not careful.
Which as said in your previous thread is either something wrong or driving style. Unless trying I've never had loss of traction in mine and I really do drive it hard.

:)

More
08 Oct 2023 19:00 #251276 by jlines
My comment about it being an accident waiting to happen is not so much to do with the power being added to the car but more can the driver handle the Jimny that they may be pushing more than a standard one. Many people that get into Jimnys are either new drivers or have come from more modern cars so are often the ones complaining of a standard Jimnys 1980s handling and yet they are the first people to go wahoo a Turbo is just what I need in a car they can't handle from stock. This is not a dig at the jimny or a modified one at that but you can't change what the car is which is fundamentally still a 1970s design yet people want it to be like a 2023 G wagon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
08 Oct 2023 20:03 #251280 by Busta
Regarding full time 4wd in a Jimny, this could easily be achieved by making up a front prop with a viscous coupling in it. It's on my want-to-do list.

More
09 Oct 2023 07:56 #251286 by lightning
l think this would be a great modification. l am surprised nobody has ever offered it as an aftermarket upgrade on the Jimny.

lt would certainly help if you were planning to increase the engine power, but would also make the Jimny better on road in conditions such as rain, when you can't engage 4wd on the standard vehicle.

More
09 Oct 2023 08:14 #251288 by Roger Fairclough
If the tyre wear between front and back is even, then, for short periods, you can engage 4 wheel drive on wet roads. The caveats are "short periods" and "wet roads". I modified my LC so that a simple switch on the dash engaged 4WD so that flooded roads could be driven more safely. Once through the hazard I would switch back to 2WD. If you feel a vibration whilst in 4WD, you have gone to far so switch back to 2WD.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds