BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

G16 Swap with Baleno harness and ECU, Tach and Speedo NC

More
14 Oct 2020 05:27 #229110 by yakuza
Oh by the way I broke my cluster thru the OBD plug. Mine is an OBD2 but still possible as the cluster electronics has little or no protection from faulty wiring. I killed my cluster simply by disconnecting a aftermarket device from the OBD port while the car was running. After this the car would not run properly without a diagnostic device connected, and the warning lamps had faults, some constantly on and others not working.
If you have had smoke released or sparks flying..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2020 15:44 #229237 by Jim Jim

yakuza wrote: There is a wiring diagram for the cluster in the Field Service Manual if yuo got that, and for the ECU connections. Have you found the tacho signal on any of those?

Hi Yakuza, thanks for the breply and information.

I have to look for the Field Service Manual, cant recall having that, I found an ECU but its not accurate for the Baleno, please send links if you have. We have fully rebuilt and swapped the G16 Baleno engine, harness/loom and ECU into the Jimny.

The cluster has the Tach signal and 12V, just have to keep trouble shooting why the entire cluster is dead.

Thanks

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2020 15:55 #229238 by Jim Jim

yakuza wrote: Oh by the way I broke my cluster thru the OBD plug. Mine is an OBD2 but still possible as the cluster electronics has little or no protection from faulty wiring. I killed my cluster simply by disconnecting a aftermarket device from the OBD port while the car was running. After this the car would not run properly without a diagnostic device connected, and the warning lamps had faults, some constantly on and others not working.
If you have had smoke released or sparks flying..

My Jimny is older than yours, 1999 model with OBD1. I know my cluster is working for sure, it was perfect with the G13BB engine before we did the G16 swap.

I have read a few writeup colums were guys used the Baleno harness spliced into that of the Jimny but not sure if they had issues getting the Jimny cluster to work with the swap.

Hopefully you can find a replacement cluster for yours, I always use my gauges a lot so everything in my cluster has to work.

Thanks for the replies.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2020 02:45 #229252 by Jim Jim
Got it all sorted, as suspected the cluster was missing a ground, everything works now.

More
22 Oct 2020 11:44 #229393 by safari
hi jim jim
pls send info on the swapping and did you do your flange (adapter plate ) for engine block to make it compattable?

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2020 12:52 #229548 by Jim Jim

safari wrote: hi jim jim
pls send info on the swapping and did you do your flange (adapter plate ) for engine block to make it compattable?

Hi Safari, I am no seeing your post. I did not use an adaptor, I used another method, I made spacers, bolts and studs (bolts with the head cut off) which worked out well.

Same principle as J bolts but done a little more robust, will post pics in a bit.

Cheers.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2020 12:55 #229549 by Jim Jim
We have to maybe do a manual switch control for the 4WD system since the Balneo is not 4WD, so the ECU will not take any input orders from the 4WD module :)

Have to track down a throttle position sensor low signal fault code too then it will be working perfectly.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2020 14:01 #229553 by Jim Jim
Here are the pics Safari, from these you can easily understand what I did.

I also came up with a different idea for the right side engine mounting modification, pics of that too below.
. . . . .. . . .

. . . . .
Attachments:

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2020 14:05 - 29 Oct 2020 14:11 #229554 by Jim Jim
Completed left and right side mods are done on the gear box side.

. .
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Oct 2020 14:11 by Jim Jim.

More
10 Nov 2020 14:51 #229902 by safari
tks very interesting photos

if u worry u die if u dont worry u still die so why worry

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds