BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

G16 Swap with Baleno harness and ECU, Tach and Speedo NC

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2020 14:20 - 12 Oct 2020 14:26 #229052 by Jim Jim
Hi Mates,

I have been working on the completion of my G13 to G16 swap using the Baleno harness and ECU.

The swap was successful and the engine runs perfectly, however I cant get the tachometer nor the ODO to work using the 99 Jimny instrument cluster.

The digital display section on the Speedometer witch has the milage is not working, its blank, I have not been able to drive the Jimny as yet to see if the speedometer itself is registering speed.

I have been reading the variable speed sensor, VSS does not work with the Sierra swap but I see no mention about the Jimny, would anyone know if this is the case with the Jimny?

Is the tach input signal and VSS signal for the 99 Jimny different from that of the 2000 Baleno? I am getting a tach signal right up to the tach but
the tach is not working.

Thanks Mates.
I will post pics in my build thread when I have everything working and sorted out.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 14:26 by Jim Jim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Oct 2020 15:16 #229059 by Lambert
First thing first. Was the instrument cluster working prior to the engine swap?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Jim

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Oct 2020 15:27 #229060 by Riccy
Echoing Lambert - does other parts work like fuel gauge and dash lights? If not maybe there is a supply problem to the cluster?

I know in an M series the signal to the dash cluster for the speedo and tach are physically wired to the ECU (along with almost everything else on the dash cluster), so would assume a G series to be the same. That means the cluster must have other connections for earthing or power supply, dash lights, etc.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jim Jim

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2020 17:07 #229066 by Jim Jim
Hi Lambert,
Everything worked perfectly well on the G13BB before the swap.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2020 17:10 #229067 by Jim Jim
Hi Riccy,

The entire cluster worked flawlessly. I am getting instrument cluster lights, oil, charge, hand brake and check engine lights.

We are getting power to the cluster, fed by a black wire with a white stripe. There are signals tied into the 4WD module, all checked out OK.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2020 17:12 #229068 by Jim Jim
I will have to put more fuel into the tank to see if it reads more than the current half tank that's in there. Will have to run the engine longer to see if it reads coolant temp too.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2020 17:23 #229069 by Jim Jim
Once the Jimny cluster is compatible with the Baleno reference signals, I will keep trouble shooting.

I was seeking confirmation the input signals are the same so I wont be wasting my time trouble shooting.

I do have a feeling I am missing a ground or another splice somewhere. We are getting power to the cluster for sure and the RPM input to the tachometer is certain, but it's not reading RPM. The tach input is the same as the Jimny, being fed by one of the coil packs, so that should at least work.

Thanks for all the replies Mates.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Oct 2020 17:46 #229071 by Lambert
Have you tried running the motor with the Jimny ecu? As I understand it the swap should not need a donor ecu?

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2020 21:08 #229081 by Jim Jim

Lambert wrote: Have you tried running the motor with the Jimny ecu? As I understand it the swap should not need a donor ecu?

I dont think that will work. If the ECU's were interchangeable there would have been no need to swap harnesses.

Cheers Mate.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Oct 2020 22:41 #229082 by Lambert
To the best of my knowledge there isn't. As far as I am aware, having not done this myself, the only difference between the two is the displacement of the blocks, everything else like ancillaries being retained?

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Oct 2020 10:43 #229094 by Jim Jim

Lambert wrote: To the best of my knowledge there isn't. As far as I am aware, having not done this myself, the only difference between the two is the displacement of the blocks, everything else like ancillaries being retained?

The ECU is not not interchangeable without its respective pinout modification on the loom. I can't plug in the G13 ECU since I have spliced in the Baleno loom and using the Baleno ECU.

Yes the head is basically the same but some mods have to be made to use the G16 block which I did.

I will post pics later of what I did and how I made it a bit simpler. Getting the cluster to work is my last hurdle, the engine runs perfectly well.

Cheers.

More
14 Oct 2020 05:07 #229109 by yakuza
ECU cannot be interchanged. There is pin out diferences and the extra sensor on the baleno engine and there is an immobilizer as well.
The cluster and ECU signals wiring is the problem I guess.
There is a wiring diagram for the cluster in the Field Service Manual if yuo got that, and for the ECU connections. Have you found the tacho signal on any of those?

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Jim Jim

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds