BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

rocklobster

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
11 Feb 2012 08:20 #33242 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re: rocklobster

darthloachie wrote: we have 31" special tracks which measure at nearer 32.5" and 4.1:1 rocklobster
on road the gearing is probably too high as it runs out of steam at about 55mph - could be the 124,000 mile engine and extra weight of the roll cage, winch, recovery equipment etc
its happiest at about 40mph so always trailer it if going a distance (its not a daily driver)
off road its fine but there is always the appeal of something lower geared to be able to fit even bigger tyres

Your always welcome to come round mine and try out my 6:1, I'm near Crewe, or if I ever get to Silverdale your welcome to a go.

Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2012 14:24 #33260 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: rocklobster

funkyjimny wrote: Your always welcome to come round mine and try out my 6:1, I'm near Crewe, or if I ever get to Silverdale your welcome to a go.

Gary

Thanks Gary
Might take you upon on that :)

• bluejimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2012 15:54 #33273 by bluejimny
Replied by bluejimny on topic Re: rocklobster
Ive just ordered a 6:1 kit for the jimny, as im thinking of going around 33 size ;)

More
11 Feb 2012 16:13 #33275 by supergaz
Replied by supergaz on topic Re: rocklobster

bluejimny wrote: Ive just ordered a 6:1 kit for the jimny, as im thinking of going around 33 size ;)

You just want to be the biggest! Been tempted on some 33"s Wish I'd have kept my old 33"s from my old pajero, As I am after a second set and will just use the special tracs for playing ;) .

Rus: your case will be with you soon!

More
15 Feb 2012 12:09 #33519 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re: rocklobster
Just to echo what has been said ... little ooky is fitted with a 4:1 lobster box and we have always run 215x80's that are 29" tall. with the standard box, road driving was restricted to 4th gear as the jimny would struggle on any incline.
Since fitting the lower ratio box, she runs fine on roads, with only steeper inclines requiring 4th gear.
Off road, I have only done 4 outings since installing the box and its awsome. where as before I would use Low 1st gear, now I use 3rd !!! ...
Engine breaking is unbelievable too

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2012 20:44 #33614 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: rocklobster
thanks waiting on a box and then i can build one :) looking forward to mine now :P carnt wait

• Goat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Feb 2012 13:46 #33633 by Goat
Replied by Goat on topic Re: rocklobster
Has anyone got any experience of buying a complete case from the states.

4.16 SJ Transfer Case

Would this install with the normal installation kit available through ORA?

Nick

More
17 Feb 2012 22:08 - 17 Feb 2012 22:10 #33659 by supergaz
It is the correct case, and fine with the ORA kit, but why buy this from the states?
It is simply cheaper to buy one from someone like Redacted on this forum or wait until someone offers one for sale.
The only thing worth buying from the states is gearsets for the 6.1 ratios. ORA also supply the same kit here in the UK and can offer the case fully built if you don't fancy building it yourself.

I tried mine out today with a lockright and WOW I'm impressed !! :-) :-)
Last edit: 17 Feb 2012 22:10 by supergaz.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Feb 2012 04:11 #34102 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: rocklobster
im just waiting upon my mounting kit from Redacted so i can get my 5.1 mounted

cant wait...........so much so i ordered some 235/85/16 special tracks to suit the gearing better than the 30" saharas i have at the moment (landy sizing so cheaper to buy than 15's)

roll on the mounting kit then i can offroad with control and slowly rather than needing a run up or risk bogging down ha

:woohoo: get in!!!!!

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
25 Feb 2012 06:44 #34163 by funkyjimny

supergaz wrote: The only thing worth buying from the states is gearsets for the 6.1 ratios.

Rob Storr exports his 4:1/5:1/6:1 and 8:1 gearsets to the states, why re-import them?

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
25 Feb 2012 06:45 #34164 by funkyjimny

adamjimny wrote: im just waiting upon my mounting kit from Redacted so i can get my 5.1 mounted

cant wait...........so much so i ordered some 235/85/16 special tracks to suit the gearing better than the 30" saharas i have at the moment (landy sizing so cheaper to buy than 15's)

roll on the mounting kit then i can offroad with control and slowly rather than needing a run up or risk bogging down ha

:woohoo: get in!!!!!

Yes 5:1 should be perfect for 235/85/16's, as I mentioned earlier my 6:1 is a little too low geared for road use with 750/16's which are the same diameter, just narrower.

More
25 Feb 2012 08:00 - 25 Feb 2012 08:04 #34167 by supergaz

funkyjimny wrote:

supergaz wrote: The only thing worth buying from the states is gearsets for the 6.1 ratios.

Rob Storr exports his 4:1/5:1/6:1 and 8:1 gearsets to the states, why re-import them?

Point! I did hear something about him supplying to the states.

I keep thinking if to get a 6:1 gearset for my spare 413 box, but then I would need bigger tyres. :silly: maybe next year.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2012 08:04 by supergaz.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds