BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

rocklobster

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2012 11:55 #33124 by Nobby22
Replied by Nobby22 on topic Re: rocklobster
Interesting to hear real life experience's of these box's rather then "it should be ok with this box"!. Funkyjimny, in your experience you think a 4:1 box with 215/80/15 tyres is a good option? Ive got 215/75/15's on mine so i surpose it will be similar in performance to the above mentioned? I only ask as i will be using a trailer at some point in the future. Not a big trailer, but it would be nice to improve the gearing for that as well as off road. Iam also considering getting some AT tyres so i could always get a differnt size if i get them.

Nobby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• suzuki jimny fella
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2012 12:25 #33128 by suzuki jimny fella
Replied by suzuki jimny fella on topic Re: rocklobster
where can i get a 4.1 do rob at offroadarmouy do them so 5.1 and 6.5.1 are just a offroading box then i take it haha will a 4.1 be nice with 31" when i go to them in the future eny one had the gear set that go in your std tbox
so at 50mph in 5th gear with 6.5.1 tbox with 215 80 15 tyres what rpm will i be at sorry just got a bit of coin that needs to be spent on the jimny but want to spend it on the right one THANKS GUYS

• funkyjimny
    Registered
  • 2004 jimny soft top, factory hardtop, ARB bumper
More
09 Feb 2012 12:55 - 09 Feb 2012 12:57 #33129 by funkyjimny
Replied by funkyjimny on topic Re: rocklobster
Cheapest option is a Redacted made 4:1 box using 410 and 413 innards. Redacted supplies all the mounting brackets/rockbuckets, speedo adaptors etc.
Next option is new gearsets fitted into SJ transfer cases,Rob Storr does these in 4:1, 5:1,6:1, and 8:1 ratio's along with all the mounting hardware, speedo adaptor, rockbucket protection etc.
ORA advertise a 6.5:1 fully built box with all the mounting hardware, I cant see a 4:1 offering, maybe Rob will be along in a mo.

With 215/75/15's I wouldnt have more than a 4:1 which restricts your choice a little.
I find that with my 32" tyres and 6:1 box I can do 70mph.... but i'm doing 7000 revs so on road speed is a little undergeared and maybe a 5:1 would be a better choice for my tyres.

Some info from Rob Storr's site that may be useful to show the difference between gearsets:
www.rsmfg.co.uk
Reduction Ratio % Reduction Price

4:1 Works great with tyres up to 30” 12% High - 83% Low £375.00

5:1 Well suited for 31” & 32” 21% High - 128% Low £475.00

6:1 The only great gear set designed for 33” 24% High - 170% Low £525.00

8:1 King of the rocks, makes you lower than a
Snakes belly 24% High - 260% Low £625.00

I think these prices are for the box only, not the mounting kit !
Last edit: 09 Feb 2012 12:57 by funkyjimny. Reason: more info

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
09 Feb 2012 13:06 #33131 by funkyjimny
Just been on Rob Storr's site, not the best website in the world by a long shot, thankfully he's much better at making gears !
If you are looking around www.rsmfg.co.uk then look for the little 'next page' button in the bottom right and you'll find the link to the kit prices. Note that Rob Storr modifies your propshafts on an exchange service where other people use some SJ parts instead.

Gary

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2012 13:09 #33132 by panosd
Replied by panosd on topic Re: rocklobster
I have a rocklobster 4.1 with BF mud KM@ 31-10.5-15.

With 5th gear on road i have 3700rpm with 100km and 4000rpm with 110km measurment made with gps.

So if you try with 215-80-15 you will have -20 km from my measurments.

Off road the 4.1 with the 31'' is very very good.

Dont forget , yes we want the 4L to be as much shorter can be but to get to the 4x4 area(greenlaning)

you will have to drive on road first.

For tire until 225-75-15 a mini rocklobster is the best option.

For 215-75-15 a 413 stock t-case is the best. I used to have my car with this combination at first and

never had any problem.

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2012 15:43 #33138 by Nobby22
suzuki jimny fella, if you get one let me know how you get on. I know when people are looking for low ratio gear boxes for the Jimny, Rob Storr's name crops up every time. I would be particularly interested in how much it all cost ;) .
Just out of interest, what would people say is the best tyres size for the 4:1 box in terms of road driving? Looks as if 215/80/15 is a good size, according to funkyjimny :) .

Nobby

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
09 Feb 2012 16:19 #33139 by funkyjimny
Rob Storrs prices are on his website - www.rsmfg.co.uk - remember to look for the 'next page' button in the bottom right hand corner.

30" tyres are about right for a 4:1 box in my experience, so 215/85/15's, 205/16's on GV wheels etc

Ive had two Rob Storr boxes and never had a problem with either of them. I also have the '2 low' kit in this box which means I can run in low box in just rear wheel drive which comes in handy from time to time - not sure ORA do this, Redacted might though.
(I also have Rob Storr panhards, steering bars, rear disc kit with transfer brake, billet wheelspacers etc)

• Nobby22
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2012 16:52 #33145 by Nobby22

funkyjimny wrote: Rob Storrs prices are on his website - www.rsmfg.co.uk - remember to look for the 'next page' button in the bottom right hand corner.

30" tyres are about right for a 4:1 box in my experience, so 215/85/15's, 205/16's on GV wheels etc

Ive had two Rob Storr boxes and never had a problem with either of them. I also have the '2 low' kit in this box which means I can run in low box in just rear wheel drive which comes in handy from time to time - not sure ORA do this, Redacted might though.
(I also have Rob Storr panhards, steering bars, rear disc kit with transfer brake, billet wheelspacers etc)

Cheers funkyjimny. I have had a look at his website. A little confused on the price as he has prices for the gear sets and then the conversion. I assume its the cost of everything added up? Probably best to give him a call or email when the time comes. What part of the country is he in?

Nobby

• funkyjimny
    Registered
More
09 Feb 2012 19:49 #33157 by funkyjimny
Rob Storrs name crops up all the time because hes been making these boxes for donkeys. He manufactures the gears and exports them to the states.
He's in Leominster, notoriously hard to get hold of and pin down to delivery dates but worth it when it turns up - I'm a time served toolmaker and really think that his work is great.
Ive seen some of Redacted s work and been equally impressed with his engineering skills.

Yes his kits are priced seperatley,add up the fitting kit and the box price.

Gary

More
09 Feb 2012 20:23 #33159 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re: rocklobster
I echo what Gary (FunkJimny) has said and think he's given you quite an accurate and comprehensive overview of your options.

I went with Redacted for mine as a friend recommended him, he was really helpful on the phone when I arranged for another friend to take my two donor boxes to him and for me to collect them 6-8 weeks later in Scunthorpe where he is.

He explained everything to me clearly and his kit was spot on.

It is a 4:1 box and I run agressive 215/80/15's which measure 29.75". It is perfect for that tyre size. I could do 70 mph if I wanted on a flat with no wind but my tyres are too scary for that - I might want to stop quickly!

This is the largest I've run but wouldn't want to run much bigger or I think it would start to struggle again with top speed.

Pulling away in first in high ratio is far better than the standard transfer box. I used to have to slip the clutch alot to pull out of lanes up hill onto the road.

Hope this helps too.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• panosd
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2012 13:36 #33200 by panosd
Replied by panosd on topic Re: rocklobster
The best tire in order to have an easy road travel and good off road and economy on fuel is 205-80-16.

You gain more from 205-80-16 than the 30'' .

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2012 15:57 #33213 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic Re: rocklobster
we have 31" special tracks which measure at nearer 32.5" and 4.1:1 rocklobster
on road the gearing is probably too high as it runs out of steam at about 55mph - could be the 124,000 mile engine and extra weight of the roll cage, winch, recovery equipment etc
its happiest at about 40mph so always trailer it if going a distance (its not a daily driver)
off road its fine but there is always the appeal of something lower geared to be able to fit even bigger tyres

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds