BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4x4 not engaging

More
10 Jan 2012 16:58 #30512 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
Going right back to your first post Rswo, how do you know the hubs are not working, how do you know when they do , (1or 2 times out of 10) and how are you trying to engage them 10 times?
Apologies in advance if you think this is patronising but there may be nothing wrong with your hubs.
My understanding is as follows, anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
If the Jimny is stationary, with the engine running and you select 4H or 4L the hubs won't necesarily lock. When you select 4WD the vacuum has to slide a collar over the splines in each hub. if either of the splined hub shafts are not in line the collar can't slide so the hub can't lock (and the lamp on the dash will keep flashing?) Only when you move off and there is some movement in the hub and the splines line up will the collar move and lock the hub and the lamp will go steady.
I used to do Offroad training and instruction for corporate customers and manufacturers many years ago and used to have the same "problem" with Defender owners trying to engage the centre diff. When you pushed the transfer lever across to the left you were "requesting" to engage the diff lock, again if you were stationary and the splines in the diff weren't lined up it wouldn't engage and the Diff lock lamp would keep flashing. You could sit there as long as you liked banging the lever as hard as you could and it would make no difference (several owners admitted they had done this, some had even taken their vehicle back to the deales to complain it was broken) as soon as you moved off the splines lined up, the diff locked and the lamp went steady. That's why it was safe and actually recomended to engage the diff lock while moving (as long as you weren't spinning wheels).
Sorry this has turned out to be a bit long winded but I have kinda gone back to basics and it may save you and some others a bit of time and money.
John.;

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rswo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 17:31 #30518 by Rswo
Replied by Rswo on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
I have raised and all four wheels of the ground and selected and deselected (ive done this on two seperatate days) and secondly if raised the front and selected then when I turn a wheel manually then both should turn and they don't. Lastly when i jackup one front and select and then tried to turn the wheel that is up then it shouldn't turn. I think this is all correct. The first test of all four wheels up is the test that gave me more results of engaging.

• Rswo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 17:35 #30520 by Rswo

jo king wrote: RSWO YOU HAVE MAIL ;)

Confused are u relating to the posts or a MSG that was sent?

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 19:28 #30548 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
Private message sorry :whistle:

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 19:48 #30551 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic 4x4 not engaging
I have Jo Kings kit on my Jimny, faultless so far :)

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 20:33 #30565 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging

Sponnie wrote: I have Jo Kings kit on my Jimny, faultless so far :)

What's kit is that???

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jan 2012 19:21 - 11 Jan 2012 19:26 #30655 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
2 X 4MM EQUAL TEE CONNECTOR PUSH FIT STOCK NUMBER LEG/31040400 £2.29 EACH.
POLYURETHANE 4MM CHOICE OF COLOURS £10 FOR 25M THATS THE LEAST THEY DO..
ENOUGH FOR SEVERAL JIMNYS...
I will be doing a full picture step by step of the whole install.
Not interested in making money with this setup so
ALL parts sourced from the helpful guys at Derek lane & Co LTD ON 01392 881 466
Once I have done my kit over the weekend I will go to Derek Lane and give them all the lengths
so as people can order exactly what they need and not have to pay over the odds for 25m of the stuff.
They will have to quote JIMNY JAMES to get the right amount for a standard jimny but depending on the amount of lift and axle travel then order an extra 3m just to be safe. B)
SPREAD THE LOVE
Last edit: 11 Jan 2012 19:26 by jo king.

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jan 2012 16:53 #30841 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic 4x4 not engaging
Top notch Jo. I fancy green ones lol! Absoloutly fautless so far :)

• Rswo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Feb 2012 18:15 #34207 by Rswo

jo king wrote: 2 X 4MM EQUAL TEE CONNECTOR PUSH FIT STOCK NUMBER LEG/31040400 £2.29 EACH.
POLYURETHANE 4MM CHOICE OF COLOURS £10 FOR 25M THATS THE LEAST THEY DO..
ENOUGH FOR SEVERAL JIMNYS...
I will be doing a full picture step by step of the whole install.
Not interested in making money with this setup so
ALL parts sourced from the helpful guys at Derek lane & Co LTD ON 01392 881 466
Once I have done my kit over the weekend I will go to Derek Lane and give them all the lengths
so as people can order exactly what they need and not have to pay over the odds for 25m of the stuff.
They will have to quote JIMNY JAMES to get the right amount for a standard jimny but depending on the amount of lift and axle travel then order an extra 3m just to be safe. B)
SPREAD THE LOVE

Hi, if you get a chance can you give me a call. After some time I got time to fit pipes however still not working. I can feel suction going in and out and the light goes on steady,but does not engage. I can hear it low clunk when you engage 4WD H however nothing when I engage 4wd L. Tested by putting all 4 wheels off the ground and then on the ground.

I have pm you my number

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds