BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

4x4 not engaging

• Rswo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2012 21:29 - 09 Jan 2012 21:36 #30419 by Rswo
4x4 not engaging was created by Rswo
Having trouble with the vacuum system on my jimny. The light goes on when I engage however it is not engaging. Were do I start? I can feel a vacuum from the Vacuum check valve and then from there I'm lost. Not the best at DIY! 1/10 times it does engage. What else can I test?

Lastly I heard a bit of talk about manual hubs, is this a good idea?

All the best,

Rswo
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 21:36 by Rswo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vitara_mad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 08:02 #30435 by vitara_mad
Replied by vitara_mad on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
yes the best fix is to fit manual hubs

• 247sniper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 09:05 #30443 by 247sniper
Replied by 247sniper on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
Check all the vac pipes and metal vac pipes. You most likely have a split rotten/corroded vac pipe.

Let us know what you find mate.

Steve.

• goatboy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 11:04 - 10 Jan 2012 11:58 #30458 by goatboy
Replied by goatboy on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
I had exactly this problem, I took the hubs off and mine were really thick with grease which seemed to be blocking the vacuum. I cleaned it up and it helped and got up to about 3/10 sucess rate.
I started looking at the hoses and a few people have had mixed sucess with changing them out.
So I started looking, changed a few pipes with limited sucess and at this point I then gave up and fitted manual hubs....

bigjimny.com/index.php?option=com_kunena...6&id=26152&Itemid=75

Edit to add: I did seem to have a good vacuum at the hubs but it still didn't work. maybe it wasn't good enough...
Last edit: 10 Jan 2012 11:58 by goatboy.

• jo king
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 11:17 #30459 by jo king
Replied by jo king on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
All you need is about 4 meters of 4mm polyurethane and 2x 4mm push fit tees

the whole job takes me 20 mins but I have done it on three different jimnys with 100 percent success. the tees part number 3104 04 00 you will need two and you can order from
parker 01926317878 . this is the most cost affective way to ensure you have a good reliable set up. with the pipes out of harms way and you dont need to get out of the jimny in the snow and bring all the snow into your jimny. the whole original pipe system can be taken off and chucked...
DO all this at your own risk I will not be held responsble for any infomation I have shared..

• Rswo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 13:09 #30464 by Rswo
Replied by Rswo on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging

jo king wrote: All you need is about 4 meters of 4mm polyurethane and 2x 4mm push fit tees

the whole job takes me 20 mins but I have done it on three different jimnys with 100 percent success. the tees part number 3104 04 00 you will need two and you can order from
parker 01926317878 . this is the most cost affective way to ensure you have a good reliable set up. with the pipes out of harms way and you dont need to get out of the jimny in the snow and bring all the snow into your jimny. the whole original pipe system can be taken off and chucked...
DO all this at your own risk I will not be held responsble for any infomation I have shared..

Are you then going from engine straight to hubs? Or following through the valve and tank etc?

Rswo

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 13:24 #30467 by doncarlyon
Replied by doncarlyon on topic Re: 4x4 not engaging
Just lock the front hubs permanently... simples!

• Rswo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 13:30 #30469 by Rswo
Might be a silly question, however:

what problems would I be the cons if I left it in 4 wheel drive when it did go in? as I said earlier it does go in 1/10ish times

• Rswo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 13:32 - 10 Jan 2012 13:34 #30471 by Rswo
Doncarlyon, ur answered my questions whilst I was typing. However is there any cons to this ie wear/tear, fuel consumption, steering etc etc
Last edit: 10 Jan 2012 13:34 by Rswo.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 13:32 #30472 by doncarlyon
You dont want to be driving on the road in the dry in 4wd. You will end up breaking it :(

Lock the front hubs manually, then block the vacuum pipes so that the vacuum doesnt get to the hubs but no water can get in. Then it will work no worries. But you will get the 4wd light flashing at you when you select 4H and 4L.

• doncarlyon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 13:34 #30473 by doncarlyon
Mine were permanently locked when i bought the car. I replaced them with some Aisin manual hubs hoping that i would get a bit more power in 2wd and better MPG, in reality it made no difference.

They only gain i see is that i can use low range in 2wd. (surprising how well you can get around in 2L :) )

• Rswo
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2012 13:38 #30474 by Rswo

doncarlyon wrote: You dont want to be driving on the road in the dry in 4wd. You will end up breaking it :(

Lock the front hubs manually, then block the vacuum pipes so that the vacuum doesnt get to the hubs but no water can get in. Then it will work no worries. But you will get the 4wd light flashing at you when you select 4H and 4L.

How would you lock it manually? I prosume you would need to buy the kit

Time to create page: 0.091 seconds