BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for more technical discussions. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

How to increase steering wheel reaction?

More
04 May 2011 09:25 #15852 by andyw
Hi Thor,

How big are your tyres, If there big you can get the tyres catching the foot well on lock to lock steering, are they knobbly tyres? Might need the BFH out to flatten the seam.

Has the truck been off-roaded? give us a bit of info( background)

Do the 12 o/clock......6 o/clock test, jack wheel of the ground then get your hands top and bottom then push/pull to see if you got any play there.

You could check your CV's, ...............one would hope it's not that on a young truck

Let us know how you go on mate

Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• THOR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2011 03:21 #15894 by THOR
hi andy...my tires are 255/60/15. I've checked and the tires are not catching the footwell.
Yes, i take the jimny offroading every weekends.

I did the 12 and 6 oclock tests and there's no play there....
however, when i turned my right wheel (while it was jacked off the ground) near to the end point of the turn, there was play and a clicking sound.
when i did the same on the left wheel, there was none.
does this mean my right CV is damaged? :(

• THOR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2011 03:40 #15895 by THOR
i've talked to a mechanic and he told me that my jimny does not have a CV...he said its an old type of axle without CV (something about a "ball-bone" type)...anyway here's a photo:

Attachment IMG_5700.JPG not found

he told me that it is probably a loose wheel bearing...
could this be it??
Attachments:

More
05 May 2011 04:24 #15896 by mlines
Change your mechanic!!

Here is a picture (ok - so its bust!) of the part your mechanic claims your car doesn't have!!

Could either be a CV clicking or the Vacuum hub is stuck?

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
05 May 2011 05:58 #15899 by andyw
:) , As Martin says lol, did mine in at KORC last week drivers side, But Dunk from MuddyZook just got stuck in and stripped it down got the old one out with all the fragments and grease.

Rockwatt ( Rich) tried phoning around the local factors, but unlucky......So the next morning Dunk put it all back together ( before his BRECKY) so I could get about the site and get home, hell of a good guyB)

Andy

• THOR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2011 16:43 #15915 by THOR
hi martin...thanks for the photo...
is the Jimny's CV inside the axle? coz i can't see it on the outside.

could my problems be caused by a front axle not centered? I recently had a 2.5" suspension lift but i did not install an adjustable track bar..so my front axle is out a little to the left....
a mechanic observed that when the sound is heard, the axle was moving....

More
05 May 2011 16:48 #15917 by mlines
If the axle is moving then something is pushing it such as a rubbing tyre, siezed or broken CV joint. Can you feel the push or a snatch through the steering?

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• THOR
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2011 17:37 #15920 by THOR
yes martin, i could feel a snatch on the steering wheel...
could the moving axle be caused because my track bars need lengthening to accomodate my suspension lift?

i'm thinking:
1. install an adjustable track bar, and see if problem goes away (clicking sound, moving axle, and steering play)
2. if above doesn't work, open the axle and check CV

or do you think I should check the CV first, before purchasing an adjustable track bar...i don't know which option is cheaper....

More
07 May 2011 11:56 #16006 by kirkynut

THOR wrote: i've talked to a mechanic and he told me that my jimny does not have a CV...he said its an old type of axle without CV (something about a "ball-bone" type)...anyway here's a photo:

Attachment IMG_5700.JPG not found

he told me that it is probably a loose wheel bearing...
could this be it??

What's all that dark stuff on the wheel that looks like some sort of oil that's leaked and been wiped off? Are your swivel joints leaking?

If they are, how much diff oil is left in the front diff?

Has leaking diff oil gone through the swivel housing and washed the grease out of your CV's?

With the upmost respect, I think given the lack of understanding and experience you seem to have through the questions you are asking, at this time it might be an idea that you find a good local mechanic that knows what they are talking about, rather than the one you have been dealing with who clearly doesn't!

I think the hubs need stripping down and all components need inspecting but before hand an experinced person needs to look at the problem. It is difficult for people on here to diagnose the problems from description alone.

In respect of the track bar (panhard rod), that should have been something you did with the lift, rather than after.

In respect of the odd feeling streering, it is due to the castor angle being wrong, and I doubt a local tyre shop with basic geometry measuring equiptment could have measured it, so I suspect they were just taking your money. They might have been able to check camber, which has no adjustment on a Jimny, and tracking, which would need adjusting with the new panhard rods you need.

I hope this helps.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds