BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof tent

More
21 Aug 2020 20:49 #227125 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Roof tent
Ok, but be assured I get regular calls from people for parts where they have simply broken and fallen off with no load on them at all.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Aug 2020 20:50 #227126 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Roof tent

Reason2doubt wrote:

Olliecarr25 wrote: I have a roof tent on my stock roof rack I wouldn’t worry about the limit

Love it! Ha. There ends the 30kg debate with 1 photo.

My Dreadnaught will do over 80 mph on the back straight of teesside circuit, that doesn't mean it's right to do the same speed on the one way system round the town centre. Its called personal accountability, just because you have got away with something against the rules the last 99 times doesn't mean that the rules no longer apply or that there won't be consequences if you get caught.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Aug 2020 20:56 #227128 by Lambert

Busta wrote:

Reason2doubt wrote:

Olliecarr25 wrote: I have a roof tent on my stock roof rack I wouldn’t worry about the limit

It doesn't change the limit or the significance of any part of this discussion. It shows that people choose to ignore the limit which has never been disputed.

Here's a picture of my old Jimny towing about 3,000kg.

Based on this evidence can I now recommend everyone ignores the towing capacity? I mean, nothing bad happened so it must be fine.

Dare I say it, but that looks Normal For Norfolk. Sorry. :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
21 Aug 2020 21:20 #227132 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Roof tent
Just been reading an article on a LR forum in the states concerning roof rack loads. Old style Defender 75kg, Disco 1 and 2 50 kg. apparently LR recommend that anything over normal and the rack should be unloaded for side slopes.

Roger

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Aug 2020 21:27 #227135 by Lambert
that's logical. Relatively tall and also softly sprung vehicle with an additional load placed at the very top has to have a negative impact on said vehicles stability, be that at lower speeds on uneven ground or at higher speed when cornering.

• Olliecarr25
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2020 22:07 #227140 by Olliecarr25
Replied by Olliecarr25 on topic Roof tent
When I did first put the roof tent on I was worried at first and did drive very steady however I soon noticed it was fine with the additional weight and I always cheek it and make sure it is secure and in my opinion everything is under rated when it comes to strength just so it covers there back if something was to happen

More
22 Aug 2020 01:04 #227142 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Re:Roof tent
This might be the ideal Jimny RTT (for summer). Thanks to Greg for the link.
www.blessthisstuff.com/stuff/vehicles/cars/nest-rooftop-tent/

crash486 JB74W

More
22 Aug 2020 08:58 #227156 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Roof tent
The 30kg limit for these little bars does seem like quite an arbitrary number if you put it into perspective. It’s so low that it essentially means you should find a different solution - it’s almost a get out for Suzuki. Put a low rating on them so people find a different solution for anything which is anything more than moving a few planks of wood or a up top bike rack.

I hadn’t necessarily meant the 30kg debate (as a whole) just in relation to a roof tent as per the thread topic! :cheer:

More
22 Aug 2020 09:00 #227157 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Roof tent

Busta wrote:

Reason2doubt wrote:

It doesn't change the limit or the significance of any part of this discussion. It shows that people choose to ignore the limit which has never been disputed.

Here's a picture of my old Jimny towing about 3,000kg.

Based on this evidence can I now recommend everyone ignores the towing capacity? I mean, nothing bad happened so it must be fine.

That’s brilliant! Great photo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Aug 2020 09:18 #227158 by Lambert

Reason2doubt wrote: The 30kg limit for these little bars does seem like quite an arbitrary number if you put it into perspective. It’s so low that it essentially means you should find a different solution - it’s almost a get out for Suzuki. Put a low rating on them so people find a different solution for anything which is anything more than moving a few planks of wood or a up top bike rack.

I hadn’t necessarily meant the 30kg debate (as a whole) just in relation to a roof tent as per the thread topic! :cheer:

As I have said before, Suzuki have good reason to be cautious about anything that will adversely affect the stability of the Jimny. Following the law suit as a result of the appalling actions of the Consumer Reports magazine in America in the mid 80s with the gen2 trying to deliberately tip it over, Suzuki can be forgiven for being sensible.

More
22 Aug 2020 11:49 #227161 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Roof tent
30kg is enough for 2 bikes or a kayak or a roof box full of camping gear. That's pretty useful! I'm not really sure what more you'd expect from a car that only has a total payload of about 300kg. The fact that other much larger SUVs have limits that aren't a lot higher puts it into perspective quite nicely. I think some people forget that the Jimny is a tiny car. It has the same footprint as most superminis. You wouldn't expect to put a roof tent on a Toyota Aygo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
22 Aug 2020 12:25 #227164 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Roof tent
Not really a debate....there is no limit on the roof.....just the plastic and al trim suzuki calls roof bars......30kg is pushing it on those.

We live in a controlling world.....I carry what I like on my roof and drive accordingly.........No strawman needed.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds