BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof tent

More
21 Aug 2020 12:53 #227083 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Roof tent
Hopefully yes, somewhere, preferably direct from the manufacturer. But in the meantime I'll ignore the speculation, hearsay and conjecture.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2020 13:21 #227085 by Jimny-Phil
Replied by Jimny-Phil on topic Roof tent
I would have thought that the situation here would be solved by a bit of common sense and a look at the various facts available

a) Suzuki are going to quote a figure that is “safe”, mainly so that they don’t get sued if “something goes wrong”... So they quote 30kg

b) The like of front runner are in the business of selling roof racks etc... their racks come in at about 27kg, which is 3kg under the limit... so technically they aren’t doing anything wrong... let’s not be naive enough to expect them to advertise or point out anything that may “put off” potential buyers.

c) A lot of people buy front runner racks for their aesthetic appearance... or as an “ornament” as someone said earlier... personally I will be one of those, in due course.. I will put some spotlights on the rack and probably a CB Ariel, meaning that I should still be just about under the 30kg... these people, like me, have no intention of loading the rack up more than this... I don’t go camping for instance

d) Then there are those who put all sorts on their rack... roof tents etc... however having done this, I’d assume that they aren’t going to go screeching around corners, race along at 80mph plus or do some extreme off-roading... unless of course they are pretty stupid!... in which case, not doing any of the aforementioned activities, they are likely to be fairly safe... I’m fairly sure that their Jimny will be ok with this and not collapse or something... they may have insurance issues of course if something goes wrong of course, but that is their choice

d) Do Suzuki actually state the 30kg limit in the manual provided with the Gen4 Jimny... I’m not near my car right now to check this out... if not, then it might be reasonably argued by an owner that they were not aware of the the 30kg limit, should they have problems with an insurance claim... I don’t think an insurance company could reasonably claim that an owner should have contacted Suzuki to check this out

So in summary, I think it’s good that we all have the facts, but it’s up to individuals armed with these facts to decide what they should do... that’s my view anyway, for what it’s worth... At the end of the day, we just need to have fun and enjoy life a little

PJ

2020 Brisk Blue JB74 SZ5

More
21 Aug 2020 13:39 #227086 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Roof tent
Part no.78901-78ROO-000, Multi Roof Rack weighs 6.3 kg. Maximum roof load capacity 30 kg. Costs £282.60.

Details from Suzuki Genuine Accessories leaflets.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2020 13:56 #227087 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Roof tent
Genuine Suzuki rack is made by Thule (as most original equipment racks are) and are available on Amazon for around £100. Chris

More
21 Aug 2020 17:46 - 21 Aug 2020 18:33 #227099 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Roof tent
Phil, I don't disagree with anything you've said. I think it is important people are aware of the limit as it clearly exists for a reason. It would appear Suzuki haven't included the figure in the Gen4 manual. In fact, I don't believe there is any mention at all about loading the roof in the manual, so the assumption that if there is no limit written in the manual anything goes seems foolhardy to me. Suzuki UK are very happy to provide the figure when asked, and, as I and others have shown, it is clearly provided with all the roof top accessorises sold by Suzuki and most other vendors. I think you'd be pushing your luck to plead ignorance!
We all have the right to do as we please, and by the same measure we are all accountable for our actions. You can't break the speed limit then plead ignorance when you're caught. The same applies to every other aspect of driving a car.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2020 18:33 by Busta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
21 Aug 2020 18:42 #227108 by Busta

Roger Fairclough wrote: Part no.78901-78ROO-000, Multi Roof Rack weighs 6.3 kg. Maximum roof load capacity 30 kg. Costs £282.60.

Details from Suzuki Genuine Accessories leaflets.

Cryptic isn't it. If only Suzuki would tell us what the maximum roof load capacity was and put Bill out of his misery! :lol:

More
21 Aug 2020 19:23 #227116 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Roof tent
Busta.

It isn't cryptic, It says the max. roof load is 30 kg. ie the rack plus the load must not exceed 30kg.

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

• Olliecarr25
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2020 19:28 #227117 by Olliecarr25
Replied by Olliecarr25 on topic Roof tent
I have a roof tent on my stock roof rack I wouldn’t worry about the limit
Attachments:

More
21 Aug 2020 20:18 #227120 by Reason2doubt
Replied by Reason2doubt on topic Roof tent

Olliecarr25 wrote: I have a roof tent on my stock roof rack I wouldn’t worry about the limit

Love it! Ha. There ends the 30kg debate with 1 photo.

More
21 Aug 2020 20:28 #227122 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Roof tent
On the stock plastic mounted roof bars, really?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
21 Aug 2020 20:37 #227123 by Busta

Reason2doubt wrote:

Olliecarr25 wrote: I have a roof tent on my stock roof rack I wouldn’t worry about the limit

Love it! Ha. There ends the 30kg debate with 1 photo.

It doesn't change the limit or the significance of any part of this discussion. It shows that people choose to ignore the limit which has never been disputed.

Here's a picture of my old Jimny towing about 3,000kg.

Based on this evidence can I now recommend everyone ignores the towing capacity? I mean, nothing bad happened so it must be fine.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Olliecarr25

• Olliecarr25
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Aug 2020 20:37 #227124 by Olliecarr25
Replied by Olliecarr25 on topic Re:Roof tent
Yes on the stock ones it’s perfectly fine I am 85kg and I can stand on the roof bars and they don’t even show any signs of Breaking and as for driving with the 55kg tent on I hardly noticed it was up there

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds