BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

tyres

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 18:48 #80341 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic tyres
I have to agree with Paul on this one.
AT tyres are no good for anything other than gravelroads and tarmac, and perhaps dry forestroads.

Before I fitted the Special Tracks I had some AT's fitted. They were no good in any kind of terrain, and on more than one occasion I got stuck in wet grass.

Wilnob wanted chunky tyres. I have never seen a chunky AT tyre.
I'd go for BFG KM2 or Maxxis Trepador.

Boggers are great for many things. But they truly suck in sand and very dry loose dirt. In these conditions, Trepadors or Creepy Crawlers are far better. I believe KM2 as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2013 19:38 #80350 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic tyres

Paul4x4 wrote: Yeah, AT's are good in snow, and better in that than MT's. But going across fields is something you can do in rear wheel drive too, so not much off road per se...

You suggest Maxxis Trepador. It isn't cheap but looks like what I want. I go across fields in naff weathers (well I used to) even got almost stuck in four wheel drive once but not in any Suzuki (nor Mitsy, it was Jeep); the field was like a marsh. In fact I once ran my Pajero through it when I was having engage/disengage problems) so I could give the system a bit of exercise. It's safe to say my fields I cross can be awful but I digress.
I'm a road user akin to Chelsea tractors :laugh:. I do need winter snow maximum grip potential, wet handling cos I am a devil on corners, grip on fields, as much ground clearance as possible (cos for me personally 4x4s were made to take on kerbs) and a nice attractive business like chunky tread. Sooooo without spending £100+ per tyre (and I'd love to get the Maxxis Trepador) what, Paul, would you suggest in 205/215 width please?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• JerseyJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 19:47 #80354 by JerseyJimny
Replied by JerseyJimny on topic tyres
Just do what I do..

Ask a landrover owner for advice and do the opposite of what he tells me

It's worked for me so far ;)

More
19 Aug 2013 19:49 #80355 by helijohn

JerseyJimny wrote: Just do what I do..

Ask a landrover owner for advice and do the opposite of what he tells me

It's worked for me so far ;)

Don't talk to Landy owners. :laugh: In fact don't even know any Landy owners. :laugh: :laugh:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 19:51 #80358 by TomDK
Insa Turbo Sahara's could be something. A bit cheaper than Trepadors and KM2's.

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 21:05 #80373 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic tyres

TomDK wrote: I have to agree with Paul on this one.
AT tyres are no good for anything other than gravelroads and tarmac, and perhaps dry forestroads.

Before I fitted the Special Tracks I had some AT's fitted. They were no good in any kind of terrain, and on more than one occasion I got stuck in wet grass.

Boggers are great for many things. But they truly suck in sand and very dry loose dirt. In these conditions, Trepadors or Creepy Crawlers are far better. I believe KM2 as well.

Grabber AT2 ive never been stuck and have good road manners take some beating in my book

Attachments:

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 21:08 #80376 by TomDK
We all know your Hilux was recovered by a Defender after that pic was taken Dave :laugh: :P

• Dave cc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 21:36 #80381 by Dave cc
Replied by Dave cc on topic tyres

TomDK wrote: We all know your Hilux was recovered by a Defender after that pic was taken Dave :laugh: :P

Beleive you me that day was far tocold for a shitbox defender to start :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2013 06:54 #80393 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic tyres

TomDK wrote: I have to agree with Paul on this one.

Like i said at the end of th day we all have our own experiences with different tyres my ATs are ace i used them instead of my MTs in the snow as thay felt shit

At the end of the day it also depends on how deep our pockets are and what you intend doing with the jimny and also the look of tue tread patern cos if dont loke the look of then i wont buy then

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2013 07:26 #80395 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic tyres
I totally agree with Mark. My ATs are excellent in the snow. Only 3 cars can get out of our road in the snow - my Jimny & Qashqai and a neighbour's Defender. The AT's haven't set a foot (or wheel) wrong once. :)

• Sponnie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Aug 2013 07:59 #80396 by Sponnie
Replied by Sponnie on topic tyres
My MT's are

+ good in very deep snow and deep mud.
- poor in light snow but driveable in 4wd
- loud on the road
+ they look cool

but for ultimate performance, the are really too wide for a lighweight vehicle at 12.5". It skates too much on harder surfaces and the tread just does not have the weight above it to dig in. Probably be good in iceland!

The jimny is very light particularly on the rear. Couple bags of road salt in the rear helped last year to keep the weight on the tires.

If I had a nice standardish Jimny, Id put a little lift on it and go for either some AT's (pottering up some light green lanes, car boot fields, general stuff) or not too agressive MT's for the odd light play day and for the more 'offroad' aggressive look. Its always a compromise.

But thats where it starts.. .. before you know it, you will be nipping to the corner shop in your £20k traybacked, diesel converted, unimog axled Jimny with 37" super sticky trepadors thinking..... drives shit on the road this. But damn it looks cool!:D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

More
20 Aug 2013 08:50 #80405 by helijohn

markyp2000 wrote:
At the end of the day it also depends on how deep our pockets are and what you intend doing with the jimny and also the look of tue tread patern

Totally agree. If my Jimny were a daily ride I would have a slightly different approach to tyres. It is so hard to run your fingers over all the different tyre types too so finding what you want and choosing some is a total pain. For me, remoulds are perfectly fine; low cost blah blah blah.
It is all down to money.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds