BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

tyres

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2013 11:19 #80198 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic tyres
"but if most of their life is going to on road I prefer having new radials"

I totally agree, especially with a rating off at least Z owing to the speeds that a Jimny can reach. :laugh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wilnob
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2013 14:05 #80211 by wilnob
Replied by wilnob on topic tyres
thanks again guys , been doing a bit of searching , still like my first choice 205/70R15 100Q Fedima Extreme Evolution , but also like BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO - 215/75R15 so got some thinking, also busta said that 215 would fit without doing any pre-facelift without a lift or trimming the arches , its like you guys say mainly 50/50 it would be used for , but the look of the fedima extreme looks good , its a 53 plate and only done 40k so .. i need to get out more ...... :)

• darthloachie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2013 14:46 #80213 by darthloachie
Replied by darthloachie on topic tyres
have a look at Kuhmo KL71 - new radials, good on road pretty, good off road, vicious penguin on here had them on his jimny which he used for long range safari through europe to Croatia

also look at maxxis trepador

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2013 14:54 - 18 Aug 2013 14:59 #80214 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic tyres

markyp2000 wrote: Define off road?

Ok, offroad is where you at least NEED to use 4WD, and need some good tires to go over obstacles. Harder and more extreme offroad is where you simply cant drive with AT's, and need lockers and all, and still you get stuck and have to winch yourself out from window deep bogs etc...

ATs are good on road and in snow and good for going across fields and on landrovers going up a gravel drive

Yeah, AT's are good in snow, and better in that than MT's. But going across fields is something you can do in rear wheel drive too, so not much off road per se...

MTs are like it says on the tin mud terrain nothing else shit in snow and on the road

Really? And I've driven on MT's for more than eight years now, almost on daily basis, and throughout the year too. And believe me, we have some snow here in Finland! And I can assure you that MT's are what you need if you have to really go offroad in the forest when there's 2 feet of snow or more.

Boggers again like it says on the tin boggy conditions thats it

And still Boggers are said to be the best offroad tire in the world, and not just the best bog tire. And those are some real AT's, because you can drive anywhere!(of course really noisy and crappy on road) :laugh:

Then the good old road tyre M&S shit in mud and in snow

You got that right!

You cant win reaper as paul obviously knows every thing there is to know about every thing from suspension & tyres & his arse from his elbow

Now that was a stupid statement! Nobody's trying to win anything here. This is no contest. And I've always thought that you were one of the smartest people on this forum, markyp2000, but guess not then...

And I don't know everything about everything, and I mostly keep my mouth shut, but when I say something, it's always based on my own experience, and not some BS I've read online. I only reply to threads where I clearly see peoples "facts" might not really be facts at all... Like back in the day when everyone told me that there simply was NO WAY to make 33's fit on a mere 3" suspension lift, and I would need AT LEAST 4.5" suspension and 2" body lift and all, yeah right... :whistle:
Last edit: 18 Aug 2013 14:59 by Paul4x4. Reason: quote tag fixed

• Paul4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2013 14:58 #80216 by Paul4x4
Replied by Paul4x4 on topic tyres

darthloachie wrote: have a look at Kuhmo KL71 - new radials, good on road pretty, good off road, vicious penguin on here had them on his jimny which he used for long range safari through europe to Croatia

also look at maxxis trepador

Yeah, Kumho's are good, and I've got those on my Jimny at the moment! Very quiet and nice ride on road, and fairly good offroad tire too, but not as good as the Extreme Evolution's, though.

Trepador's are nice too, so can't go wrong with those either. :)

• markyp2000
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2013 15:19 #80221 by markyp2000
Replied by markyp2000 on topic tyres
But we dont get 2ft of snow and go out to play in the wood we stay in cos we english are shit when it come to snow every one knows that
evey one has there own views on tyres
i run kumho's ventura's and it drives well in all condition apart from wet roads and i can throw it round country lanes and handle good but my mud tyres are shit on any surface apart from mud

Paul im sorry for what i said we are all smart in are own way and can only speak of our own experiences in tyres suspension arses and elbows how to drive off road and in water snow etc

• JivingDaddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Aug 2013 15:33 #80223 by JivingDaddy
Replied by JivingDaddy on topic tyres
Blimey, I've not seen such emotion since a Defender forum bust up over which is the best engine. :S

More
18 Aug 2013 16:41 #80227 by idiotmobil
Replied by idiotmobil on topic tyres
www.4x4tyres.co.uk/shopping_cart.php
i found this place had good prices for tyres and speedy delivery and if i remember right it was free to

JIMNYLESS
The following user(s) said Thank You: wilnob

More
18 Aug 2013 19:31 #80242 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic tyres

UKDAN wrote: Looking again at the original post, he says he wants something a bit chunky that looks good & maybe for offroading, which would suggest most of the driving would be on road so ATs would be great, also the "Fedima Extreme Evolution" are a remould which allegedly are a lot better than they used to be & probably great if you spend all your spare time putting your truck into big muddy holes & have a second car as a daily driver, but if most of their life is going to on road I prefer having new radials.

Dan

This is the way I see things too. ;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• JuanGuillie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 12:02 - 19 Aug 2013 12:22 #80287 by JuanGuillie
Replied by JuanGuillie on topic tyres
My experience i have with some offroad tyres on my Jimny :

- Bridgestones Dueller AT 205/70/R15 :
Good tyre for normal road use, when wet you have to take care.
Off-road capacity's are limited to "soft greenlaning" and drivers capability.
I'm using them only to go to the MOT because they are the original tyres (a 10 km drive a year). :unsure:

- Maxxis Trepador M8060 205/70/R15 :
Good tyre for on- and off-road, also on wet roads.
Excellent grip in rotation direction only... lateral grip could be better.
The reason i did sold them was that i wanted to have some bigger (higher) tyres, these were only 66,9 cm high.

- BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM2 215/75/R15 :
Very good tyre for on- and offroad, also on wet.
They can be fixed on a standard Jimny, i do have a 2" Trailmaster Sport suspension set.
Works fine with it but from time to time i have not enough "ground-clearence" but i'm going sometimes trough extreme trail... :)
The BF's are a little bit more expensive but they last very long.
Personnally i think this is a good tyre for Greenlaning... to... some "better" offroad.

If i had to buy new one's... maybe the Trepadors Maxxis M8060 30 x 9.50R15 74,4 cm height.
For the "ground-clearence" reason. :)

If you want to go to "extreme" then you should be looking to other brand's and then also you have to pay lot's for it, but then it's not only the tyre that should be adapted. ;)
Good luck with your choice !
Last edit: 19 Aug 2013 12:22 by JuanGuillie.

• swb
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 13:24 #80306 by swb
Replied by swb on topic tyres
Here in Spain , when you use a different size to the stock 205/70/15 you need to spend money in a certificate from an engineer to road legal on street, because of this is very popular to use stock size 205/70/15.
I don´t like retread tires because they are more taller and heavier than a brand new one.
Here are very popular Maxxis Trepador and Insa Turbo Super SP Track in 205/70/15. The Super SP Track from Insa Turbo is the only model that they have 100% brand new (this model comes from China)

• reaper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2013 18:26 #80331 by reaper
Replied by reaper on topic tyres

Paul4x4 wrote:
And I don't know everything about everything, and I mostly keep my mouth shut, but when I say something, it's always based on my own experience, and not some BS I've read online. I only reply to threads where I clearly see peoples "facts" might not really be facts at all... Like back in the day when everyone told me that there simply was NO WAY to make 33's fit on a mere 3" suspension lift, and I would need AT LEAST 4.5" suspension and 2" body lift and all, yeah right... :whistle:

You see that is the problem you dont keep your mouth shut you blurt your verbal diarrhea like it is the law ,
Fyi im not "one of those AT guys" i run mt treads ( if you had bothered to read what it says in my sig )
33" on a 3" lift christ are you still milking that one ??? Still not convinced as i KNOW that 32's on 4" lift requires a lot of modding and still doesnt give full articulation . . . .but hey you keep on banging that drum maybe you will convince yourself one day

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds