BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× Are you building a Mud Monster or a Pavement Princess??
If so you can have your own thread in this section.
This section on other websites has led to arguments and contention. People are posting pictures of their pride and joy and therefore CONSTRUCTIVE comments only please!

Dave's la(te)st buggy build...

• X8GGY
  • X8GGY's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
27 Nov 2019 19:42 #216025 by X8GGY
Parcelforce...

Failed to find my address?

Ummm, that little house next to the huge Londis store and POST OFFICE ?!

:lol:

Oh how my regular driver laughed! That guy will get the mickey taken at the depot!...

Wheelarches tomorrow then? Maybe...?!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Nov 2019 06:44 - 28 Nov 2019 06:56 #216033 by X8GGY

Riccy wrote: Ask Lambert about "cycle wings" for the front mudguards. He suggested it for Ulysses at the back, but I went fixed in the end. They might work better for you with less bodywork around the wheels than me ;-)

Thanks! But I'm still heading for the look in my inspirational photos -

I've ordered thesame arches you have on the back of Ulysses but bigger...

So they can be cut down (the logo side cut off as you did) to size and shape to suit the buggy look. So cut the leading edge down on the front arch, but leave the rear of it to (hopefully if I've measured right) nicely attaches to the firewall, and then the reverse for the back arches...? B)

Something like that (for the front)

Another job for Mr. Angry!

Durable and cheap (£35 each) if those pesky trees try and steal them! ;)
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Nov 2019 06:56 by X8GGY.

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Nov 2019 08:38 #216041 by X8GGY

LOL :lol: hopefully today then? Jamie is our regular driver who calls everyday to collect and drop off convenient collection parcels at our Post Office...
Attachments:

More
28 Nov 2019 09:23 #216044 by Keithy
Those inspirational pictures certainly inspire!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
28 Nov 2019 10:47 #216046 by X8GGY

Keithy wrote: Those inspirational pictures certainly inspire!

They certainly do... I’ve admired the Ford EX Concept for many years, but only recently found the yellow Brazilian ATV / UTV (Quad) which is more practical inspiration for a UK / Jimny based buggy, as it needs a bit more weather protection (and undergrowth?!), wading capability and more likely to pass through the gestapo tests (VOSA / DVLA)

On a more positive note... Jamie just delivered the wheel arches :woohoo:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Dec 2019 16:42 #216208 by Lambert
I'm sure you will give it your best go but if you need assistance and it means having the buggy there, I will personally force people to help you! :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
22 Jan 2020 17:49 #217553 by X8GGY
New Year, and some changes have occured!

I've sold both the Jimnys and retired from greenlaning for a bit... I do hope to return in a milder more relaxed manner when this buggy project is finished though, and if my health and eyesight hold out! :blink:

Having sold 'S200KYS' the big blue Jimny, I had the registration on retention, when someone (who will become apparent) PM'd me and asked if I wanted to sell it! So when a deal was struck, and before I spent the proceeds n something mundane, like bills!, I thought I'd re-invst it in...

A bit more meaningful for the buggy... being as it's based on an X-reg donor Jimny, and loosely inspired by the Ford EX concept car, and ir's an, errrr... '8GGY' - about as close as I could get on a registration plate!

Back to it soon, just sorting a few things out first... ;)
Attachments:

More
More
23 Jan 2020 22:44 #217631 by kirkynut
I'm pleased to see new posts on here. I feared it was all over!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
26 Jan 2020 18:09 - 26 Jan 2020 18:25 #217707 by X8GGY
Right, where were we? Getting up to date...

December was busy in the shop and Post Office...

January - the other two Jimnys were sold off... mostly health and eyesight reasons, but also some personal reasons we won't go into... Anyway,, some time off greenlaning, but I hope to get the buggy ready for a trip with Brett and his cohorts in August, so that gives me six months to get everything sorted... they're on my patch then, so I've signed up for that trip, so let's get on with it!...

I might be 52 and a bit, but this past week I ordered some dollies :woohoo:

Only trouble was that they came needing assembly! 16 castor wheels to bolt on! So after a lie-in, walked the dogs, and a cooked brekkie (of course!) I started tidying the garage after the blue Jimny had been hastily emptied as it sold quicker than I thought, and the dollies were eventually assembled...

One per wheel!

So on the passenger side there's a fair gap to the wall...

And on my side there's enough of a gap to pass...

With all the dollies under the wheels the buggy can be pushed around to suit...

Leaving loads of room to fettle, shape, weld... ;)

That done, time for a cuppa!

There you go, pushed to one side to make access to one side or the other much easier!

Tidying was all I planned to do today, I was going to restart the build next week when we got into February... but no time like the present!

I disassembled the front grill, cut a sleeve joing for the winch tube and welded it in place/// with just enough room to bolt the dont fairlead in place!

With he MIG welder out, I took the earth clamp off, and used the wand to run some MIG wire through the tube ready to pull the rope through later... from front to back...

Another sleeve was made for the rear of the tube... note the 10mm bolt to clamp the inner tube inside the outer tube ;)

Back to the front and you can see the same on the front end of the tube...

As a reminder... the winch is on the back of the buggy, the rope always runs to the front of the buggy through the seamless tube that runs under the passenger (Alan's ;) ) seat and along the chassis rail next to the engine and out the front through a matching donut fairlead... To winch forward you use the winch conventionally even though it is situated at the back... to winch backwards, you simply pull a loop off the drum through that mahoosive fairlead and insert a snatch block (roller) in the loop that was pulled through.... Later they'll be another fairlead on the back of the roofline so in the same way a loop can be pulled off the front of the winch and threaded through the fairlead for self-righting or to stabilise the buggy on side slopes, etc...

I finished the day by messing about with the rear recovery points...

These were made from some ARB disconnect brackets featured earlier in this build thread, I've now added some poly bushes that were angle-grinded with a sanding disk to suit, and stop the shackles rattling around...

More soon!

Nice to be back B)
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2020 18:25 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Jan 2020 18:55 #217713 by Lambert
Excellent news. Little bit and often and it will be driving in no time!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• X8GGY
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • but currently AWOL
More
26 Jan 2020 21:44 #217719 by X8GGY
Just reading the forum and thinking it might get confusing now I've sold the S200KYS registration to another member of the forum...

So I've just created this new username 'X8GGY' which is the personal registration going on the buggy, and as this is my own Jimny / build at the moment it would make more sense...

Dave

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds